Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 wave202

Hi all

I wonder if anyone could upload audit elective notes including additional material, please

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ACASlayer

wave202 wrote: »
    Hi all

I wonder if anyone could upload audit elective notes including additional material, please
    Notes from the CAI website or notes we've made ourselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

The elective interim results are available online

• Registered Users Posts: 6 acalass

How did everyone get on in APM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

acalass wrote: »

9.98. Slightly disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pixie11123

McGaggs wrote: »

9.98. Slightly disappointed.

Slightly disappointed as well but average was only 50.3% and the pass rate was quite low compared to the others. Seems they marked quite tough this time

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭shanmo

pixie11123 wrote: »
    Slightly disappointed as well but average was only 50.3% and the pass rate was quite low compared to the others. Seems they marked quite tough this time

Where are the averages? Thanks.

shanmo wrote: »
    pixie11123 wrote: »

Where are the averages? Thanks.
    The board report was somewhere on the website with solutions etc

If anyone manages to find the board report could they post it here please. the website is impossible

• Advertisement

If anyone manages to find the board report could they post it here please. the website is impossible
    https://www.charteredaccountants.ie/Current-Student/Exams/Exam-Info-FAE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

Has anyone booked into any of the Chartered Grind School revision days just out of interest. 
    Apparently they are all nearly full for anyone looking to book in.

Hi all

So I know that at this stage, after doing cap 2 and the aafrp, i should have my head around journal entries. I don't.

Does anyone have tips, guidance, templates, samples, etc that might help?

Id appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks.

What exactly do you need help with?

SOFP DR CR
    Assets: Increase Decrease
    Liabilities: Decrease Increase

SOPL DR CR
    Revenue: Decrease Increase
    Expenses: Increase Decrease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

I think I attached my doc correctly. I draw that little picture if I have having any doubts and think it through logically.

• Advertisement

Has anyone booked in Chartered Grind school for Financial Reporting for this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sames87

thefox1982 wrote: »
    I think that is just for feedback purposes, although I didn't read the email carefully! Let's hope that that does not happen on the day of the exam.

I have attempted the Melton case and have answered all three indicators. It took way more than the 90 minutes. I am not too worried if my answers vary, as long as I picked up the main points of the indicator. They are practise cases after all to help us get use to this style of question.

In terms of the folders, what I am doing is having two folders that cover the super 6 and then one folder for the elective. These will mainly contain lecture notes, material for each lecture (not the slides, question banks) and any other recommended material, i.e. Irish Annex etc. My plan is that these are really only for back up to refer back to if needed.

I will have notes that will cover the super 6 which will contain past paper questions that were tricky and stuff like that, all indexed and typed so I can find the topic easily that I need. For CAP 1 and CAP 2, I compiled typed and indexed notes on the standards (IAS and ISA) that contained the key elements, tricky parts, calculations and templates. So I will be updating that for FAE. I will than have separate notes on the elective as well.
    Hi Fox,
    By any chance did you do out FAE folders similar to what you did for Cap 2's?
    You're notes got me through them exams.
    Will you be posting them if you did?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ponyface

Hi all!

I am doing the Chartered Grinds the weekend, really hope they settle my nerves.

Quick question, has anyone actually had a chance to start studying for the mocks? I haven’t done anything yet as I’m still on audit for another week. Just wondering where everyone else is at? I’m thinking I’ll use them as study tools as I don’t think I’ll be able to attempt anything on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 amurphy222

Anyone have the Derry Cotter FR Book for FAE in PDF? Looking to print pages from it for study notes. Any help appreciated

Hi all

Can anyone explain how they're working out the gearing in the sanctuary hotels cross marking case please?

It's prob something stupid but it's annoying the hell out of me.

Thanks 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 NP2018

Anyone NOT thinking of completing the mocks next wk? I am signed up to do them but a little worried I could be wasting my time as I haven’t had very much time to practice exam style questions! TBH I haven’t fully completed revising the material from the syllabus yet! I’m guessing sitting mocks will be valuable- I’m just not sure if I’m prepared enough to gain from it? Interested to know your thoughts

NP2018 wrote: »
    Anyone NOT thinking of completing the mocks next wk? I am signed up to do them but a little worried I could be wasting my time as I haven’t had very much time to practice exam style questions! TBH I haven’t fully completed revising the material from the syllabus yet! I’m guessing sitting mocks will be valuable- I’m just not sure if I’m prepared enough to gain from it? Interested to know your thoughts

I would imagine most of us are in the same both to be honest as is the case every year

So just wondering what is everyone's plan of attack?
    Are you studying the 6 subjects? Or are you just doing papers, qs etc?
    There's just so much..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

NP2018 wrote: »

I'd say do them. I got something horrific like 10% in CAP 2 FR but it was a good opportunity to organise my folder it forced me to consider where things where in it. I've done zero study for the mocks. Planning to go to the mocks it just focuses the mind and will give you a big scary boot to get cracking on study.

If anyone would like a list of the things mentioned by a lecturer that are coming up on the mocks send me a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cap2again

Does anyone have good summary notes for the Audit elective for the new Irish standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NP2018

I'd say do them. I got something horrific like 10% in CAP 2 FR but it was a good opportunity to organise my folder it forced me to consider where things where in it. I've done zero study for the mocks. Planning to go to the mocks it just focuses the mind and will give you a big scary boot to get cracking on study.

Thanks I think you’re right! Thanks for reply

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tgt16

In the process of just trying to study some FR & BL ahead of these mocks as they both weigh the most in terms of the core exams. Hoping I will receive some decent feedback in terms of approach and content of my answers etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hmcf95

ACAguy wrote: »
    Has anyone booked in Chartered Grind school for Financial Reporting for this weekend?

Hey, did you go to this at the weekend? Currently trying to decide whether or not to book for the group 2 Financial acc in July!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Milena Ganeva

Hi
    I found your notes very good and useful and it will save me loads of time before the exams in August. Is there any chance you attach the FAE Core info as a zip file?

Kind regards
    Millie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 CA1994

Hey guys, just wondering does anyone have the CGS/ACA revision notes for FR, SFMA, Audit etc. from last year that they could send on? Best of luck in the mocks tomorrow for anyone doing them! :)

hows everyone feeling for tomorrow?

Remember 2 of the super 6 won't be on the paper tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭thefox1982

I am not getting myself to worked up over them TBH. I am just using them as a dry run of my timing and my notes. I have been concentrating the last day or two on the topics that Paul Monahan said would come up.

Me too best thing to do. It's just a practice run of whats to come just going to try stick to exact times and see where that gets me

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭vikings2012

Hi all,

Just wondering how everyone’s study is going for these exams?

I started study leave last week and spent majority of my time printing and getting notes organised.

How are people organizing their day ? Are ye studying 9-5? Are ye focuing on revising the super 6 material or are you going straight to past questions?

All feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi , im in the exact same boat as you getting organised. this week is just going to be the mocks and studying stuff that we have been told will come up. after that im hopefully going to do a case in the morning and technical stuff in the afternoon.

how are you getting on??

I have been the same, printing notes and doing a small amount of study based on the topics that are coming up for the mocks. I am studying 7 - 7 with two 30 mins break and 1 hour break. I have done up a study plan for the next 9 weeks. I am doing a case study every morning (alternating each day with super 6 and elective case study) and then in the afternoons I am going to update my notes based on the case study and also cover off some gaps in my knowledge.

What did everyone think of the IT system indicator? I haven't ever looked at that end of things, or even opened the book.

ACAguy wrote: »
    hows everyone feeling for tomorrow?

Remember 2 of the super 6 won't be on the paper tomorrow

Was it tax and finance that didn't come up?

• Advertisement

Yeah Tax and Finance didn’t come up.

I had had a quick flick through the book yesterday but that was it. I couldn’t find anything relating to OSS in the book at all today. I just took a stab of what it might be.

Found OSS. It was mentioned in passing in the slides for BL session 6.6.

The example cases are Facel facilities and Black and White Foods. I'm off to make sure it doesn't come up in August by preparing for it...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Olliewaterford

McGaggs wrote: »
    Found OSS. It was mentioned in passing in the slides for BL session 6.6.

The example cases are Facel facilities and Black and White Foods. I'm off to make sure it doesn't come up in August by preparing for it...:p

I cannot find any of these case, can you please direct me to where they are please.

just looked for them also and cannot find them anywhere

the part on construction contracts seems to be taken from the 2016 mock sim which was also about lift operators

I cannot find any of these case, can you please direct me to where they are please.

I'm getting pretty annoyed now. Black and White doesn't cover it, and the other case doesn't seem to exist. I can't find anything about it in the strategy text or the information management book. Doing a search for OSS in all the material I've downloaded from the CAI website only shows the solutions to two cases where the only mention is the an OSS should be undertaken.

I'm off to watch the BL 6.6 lecture to see if it sheds any light on it. Here's the 'relevant' slide:

IMPLEMENTATION OF STRATEGY6.6 Business Information Systems (BIS)
    • IMP previously one of the Super Six
    • Downgraded for 2015
    • Not asked in 2015, 2016 or 2017
    • Very unwise to presume that will continue
    • Focus in the past heavily on the need to changes systems, prepare an OSS, choose between two competing systems
    • Now watch for IMP incompatability with strategy
    • Facel Facilities good example
    • Can be blended in to so many other subjects

• Advertisement

Nothing in the recorded lecture. Apparently Facel is in the self study pack (it isn't).

thefox1982 wrote:
    I have been the same, printing notes and doing a small amount of study based on the topics that are coming up for the mocks. I am studying 7 - 7 with two 30 mins break and 1 hour break. I have done up a study plan for the next 9 weeks. I am doing a case study every morning (alternating each day with super 6 and elective case study) and then in the afternoons I am going to update my notes based on the case study and also cover off some gaps in my knowledge.

That's a lot in one day. Wow.

Is the OSS indicator just where you need to describe what specifications an IT accounting system for this industry should contain? E.g. integration of systems, fit for purpose, along those lines etc.. hope so!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Hadn't a clue what to do with the construction contracts/provision element. Definitely something I'll have to look at.

Hadn't a clue what to do with the construction contracts/provision element. Definitely something I'll have to look at.

Same, very rusty on IAS 11

• Advertisement
Advertisement