Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭shanmo

ACASlayer wrote: »
    The poster said they were not going to pass. I gave the most helpful tip in this scenario, which is to not get your hopes up.

If the original poster needs people to hold their hand that much that they have to tell them to try answering cases, they’re in for a rough ride because that’s obviously what we should be doing.

I’m not going to sit and make someone feel better about themselves only for them to fail. The advice given after was not revolutionary nor even helpful. “Try past papers.” Give that man a Nobel Prize, I’d never thought of that!

I won’t be branded as having a problem just because I’m not sucking up to people and giving them the attention they want. Think you’re going to fail? Do something about it. Don’t post about it online for general, stupid responses.

If it’s a “oh, I don’t understand how to do reconstruction relief” then that’s a different story, because we can actually help out and suppprt. But fishing because you “understand all the material but can’t answer a case study” is vague and a nonsense.

If that’s too real, I apologise that you’re offended.

Not offended. I dont actually disagree with what you have just written either. I personally dont like when will people will tell me I will pass but i prob wouldnt like it if someone turned around and when "well just accept you will fail then".

I guess in this scenario, i just wouldnt engage about someones thoughts of failure instead of telling them to just accept it.

In any normal scenario i always prefer brutal honesty but whn everyone here is stressed i just dont think it helps is all. Your overall philosphy is correct though.haha

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

Guys. Just ignore ACASlayer. If you check his posts, at least 50% of them are passive aggressive or down right confrontational. He clearly has a chip on his shoulder about something

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ACASlayer

Guys. Just ignore ACASlayer. If you check his posts, at least 50% of them are passive aggressive or down right confrontational. He clearly has a chip on his shoulder about something

Why thanks.

As I’ve said before, I’m wanting to help and discuss actual topics. In what world is saying you’re studying 7-7 and making people feel like they’re not doing enough actually helpful?

Like, can we not discuss important topics, like what exactly is an Outline Systems Specification and do we have an example of it that we can reproduce?

I just don’t think writing things like “I’m definitely going to fail, please help me” is serving anyone any good. No one can sit the exams for you or tell you it’s going to be okay and you’ll pass.

That’s my only point. But if you think that’s a chip, I’m sorry you feel that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AH2018

Hi, 
    Most likely a really stupid question but can someone tell me where to get the solutions for the ICD? I can't find them online at all. 
    Thanks, :)

AH2018 wrote: »
    Hi, 
    Most likely a really stupid question but can someone tell me where to get the solutions for the ICD? I can't find them online at all. 

yeah of course. If you go to the timetable and notes section after you log in, go into the FAE Core download (should be second from the top) and there’s a zip folder called All Core Solutions. 
    They’re all in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Tgt16

AH2018 wrote: »
    Hi, 

Think they have been emailed to us also.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭thefox1982

shanmo wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how they're getting the P/E of 25 in the Raven ICD q please? I can get close but im not sure if what im doing is right so i just want to check. Thanks.

I haven't looked at that one yet, will be getting to it next week and can link back in with in you.

thefox1982 is very good at ignoring. Indeed that’s the very root of this issue.

Again I ask you, when have I ignored you?

You’re very astute. With deduction skills such as these, alongside your manic schedule, you’ll be the best ever scoring student of FAE.

It was intentional. Taste of your own medicine, and all that.

:):)

Why thanks.

As I’ve said before, I’m wanting to help and discuss actual topics. In what world is saying you’re studying 7-7 and making people feel like they’re not doing enough actually helpful?

The question was asked what was peoples approach to study leave and I answered. Have I to lie? So what if I am doing them hours - I want to do well. Is that a problem?

• Advertisement

thefox1982 wrote:
    I haven't looked at that one yet, will be getting to it next week and can link back in with in you.

Thanks. I'd appreciate it.

thefox1982 wrote: »
    Why thanks.

The question was asked what was peoples approach to study leave and I answered. Have I to lie? So what if I am doing them hours - I want to do well. Is that a problem?
    Absolutely not a problem, mate. However, your grammar is worrying. I’d consider reviewing your understanding of the English Language prior to sitting the exam or your professional competence might take a bit of a bruising, and then we will see who does well. 
    But yes, continue to boast and brag. The more you write on here, the more evident it becomes that you do need to put in those long hours if you’re going to scrape a pass.

Absolutely not a problem, mate. However, your grammar is worrying. I’d consider reviewing your understanding of the English Language prior to sitting the exam or your professional competence might take a bit of a bruising, and then we will see who does well. 
    But yes, continue to boast and brag. The more you write on here, the more evident it becomes that you do need to put in those long hours if you’re going to scrape a pass.

Nice way to attack someone. Very petty. I have not bragged on this before, you like you about your IA results.

Again you have avoided my question of when I have ignored you?

Nice way to attack someone. Very petty. I have not bragged on this before, you like you about your IA results.

Again you have avoided my question of when I have ignored you?

How did I brag about my interim score? I literally wrote one number and that was it? If that’s bragging mate, I don’t know what is.

And I did significantly worse in the Elective IA, which I’ll openly admit also. I’m not here to brag.

How did I brag about my interim score? I literally wrote one number and that was it? If that’s bragging mate, I don’t know what is.

And I did significantly worse in the Elective IA, which I’ll openly admit also. I’m not here to brag.

I did not brag either.

Since you have said "thefox1982 is very good at ignoring. Indeed that’s the very root of this issue". Back this up and tell me how I have ignored you. I have asked you this several times and you have been unable to answer

I did not brag either.

Since you have said "thefox1982 is very good at ignoring. Indeed that’s the very root of this issue". Back this up and tell me how I have ignored you. I have asked you this several times and you have been unable to answer

Not so good when the shoe is on the other foot,
    Is it? Turned the tables on you sir.

Not so good when the shoe is on the other foot,
    Is it? Turned the tables on you sir.

It just proves that you are acting very childish, immature and incapable of backing up your accusations.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

MOD POST

Ok guys can we get back on topic and stop the sniping back and forth please.

Did anyone get their STEPs case back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Back from where?

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote: »

Back from where?

If you submitted it for marking

ACASlayer wrote:

I've never submitted any of them. Have you done them all?

ACASlayer wrote:

I've never submitted any of them. Have you done them all?

I submitted two of them. The marking is pretty brutal if I’m honest. Very critical and very strict. Thankfully the finals won’t be marked like this or the pass rate would be absolutely tiny.

Paul Monahan is very fond of tearing you down in the comments.

I never heard about this. How do you go about it?

I never heard about this. How do you go about it?

Usually you get the cases sent out to your email address. There’s one coming up, it’s the last one before the exams.

You just complete it, scan it in before a deadline and then you get it returned with comments and a mark out of 100% to know how you got on.

Usually you get the cases sent out to your email address. There’s one coming up, it’s the last one before the exams.

You just complete it, scan it in before a deadline and then you get it returned with comments and a mark out of 100% to know how you got on.

Is that just for distance students? I've never been emailed a steps case.

ACASlayer wrote:
    I submitted two of them. The marking is pretty brutal if I’m honest. Very critical and very strict. Thankfully the finals won’t be marked like this or the pass rate would be absolutely tiny.

For feedback purposes I'd say that approach is best. It would push me to work harder.

Can I ask you q, I know it's probably insignificant, as the most important thing is the analysis around but in the sanctuary hotels q how are they working out the gearing?
    It's driving me insane.

Do you find that diff solutions use different formulas for the same thing?

Is that just for distance students? I've never been emailed a steps case.

Hmm, potentially. I’m not too sure, I’d say it might just be. I wonder why it takes them months to mark them then.

You can see the cases and solutions on the website at least

ACASlayer wrote:

For feedback purposes I'd say that approach is best. It would push me to work harder.

Can I ask you q, I know it's probably insignificant, as the most important thing is the analysis around but in the sanctuary hotels q how are they working out the gearing?
    It's driving me insane.

Do you find that diff solutions use different formulas for the same thing?

Lemme have a look here and see. I find they often make mistakes to be honest with you

• Advertisement

Just looked and I haven’t a clue, the wording is messed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NP2018

Hi All,
    I sat the exam last year and passed it reasonably comfortably so I thought I might be able to pass on a few tips and tricks I picked up along the way. There are still a few months to go so hopefully they’re timely enough to be of use.
    Here are my tips…..(Note: I’m mainly speaking about the CORE below, but most of the tips apply to your ELECTIVE studies too)

BUILD A GOOD SET OF COMPREHENSIVE SUMMARY NOTES

Summary notes are vital. They should be give you a high level view of each topic within each super six area. Try and develop notes that you can both use in your final exams and that allow you to quickly review each area in the run up to the exams. In the last 7-10 days before the exam, I spent my days looking only at my summary notes. I only ventured elsewhere if I was having particular trouble with an area.

PRACTICE EXAM QUESTIONS UNDER EXAM CONDITIONS

You probably need at least 3-4 CORE and 3-4 ELECTIVE attempts under exam conditions to start getting your technique and timing up to scratch. It’s also a good way for identifying how often you refer to your notes and whether you have too much/too little info in your notes.

HONE YOUR EXAM TECHNIQUE & TIMING

Technique and timing are absolutely vital in the FAEs. The exams themselves are not particularly difficult, it’s the timing that will cause issues. You need to be rigid with times, if you’re spending too long on an indictor, move on. Practising exam questions under time conditions will help with this.
    I would argue that the first 60 minutes are the most vital of the exams. In this time, you should be reading the paper once and highlighting each indicator and relevant info. On the 2nd read of the case, you should be jotting down the key points you’ll be making in relation to each indicator. At the end of the first 60 minutes, you should hopefully have read the paper twice, have highlighted the indicators and key relevant points and have a number of discussion/bullet points for each indicator. For the rest of the exam you will mostly be fleshing out on these points (bar some exceptions e.g. where length calculations are required).
    When I was trying to perfect my technique, I would partially attempt every paper I could get my hands on. I would spend the recommended time reading the case (say 30 min) and highlighting the indicators and other key relevant info. I would then spend the next 30 min (30 min for Comp day, 15 min for Sims) re-reading the case and jotting down the bones of my discussion points & conclusions for each indictor. After the time was up, I’d read the solution to understand how reasonable my attempt was likely to be. (I think I attempted at least 20-30 papers using this method, in addition to any past exams I attempted).

USE YOUR TIME WISELY

Use weekends and days off to tackle the chunkier items e.g. attempting and marking past papers under exam conditions.
    Use afternoons after work to tackle items that don’t require the same amount of mental effort e.g. sorting notes, summarising lengthy notes, reviewing exam papers and solutions. In the 2 months before the exams, I would practice papers at the weekend under exam conditions and during the week I would just read a Sim a night and spend an hour identifying indicators and outlining the points I was likely to make

TIME TO RECHARGE

Leave yourself plenty of time to recharge. If at all possible, make sure the bulk of your work is done before the last 2 weeks of the exam. At that point, you just want to be leisurely reviewing summary notes and case solutions for 4-5 hours a day. You should also be able to take a day or two and study-free, otherwise you will be mentally fatigued going into the exam.

TEMPLATES & TECHNIQUES & LISTS

Make sure to develop lists (various KPIs, Advantages of IT, Advantages & Disadvantages of outsourcing, Features of strong CG, etc.) and templates/techniques (Box Approach, Right hand corner approach, Approach’s for ethical issues, Approach for FR issues).

Anyway, I’ll post more info if it springs to mind. If anyone has any specific questions then feel free to ask.
    I’ve attached my summary notes for the 2017 FAE exam. It was my bible for a long time. I spent about 4-5 months preparing these so they’re quite comprehensive. They should cover pretty much the entire syllabus. If you know everything on the attached I can’t imagine you could possibly fail (assuming there have been no major changes in the syllabus between 2017 & 2018). The attached is only a high level view of all Super Six and APM areas so they don’t get overly technical (but then again, unlike the CAP 2 exams, the FAEs are not very technical in nature at all).
    The attached should also contain all the lists and templates I brought into the exams and an outline of the exam approach I used to tackle each case.
    Hopefully it’s of some use. Good luck with your exams

NOTE: Apologies, the files are too big to attach so I've posted the dropbox link to all 3 of them below. Hopefully you should be able to access them, if not, let me know

Hi

Firstly thank you AtticusFinch86 for the above! its very helpful!

Has anyone been able to get these documents off dropbox so that you can save them onto the PC? I have been able to open these ok - but would like save them so I can review first and print as I need them! There doesnt seem to be the facility to copy the files so I can paste onto a folder on my PC! I hate to be a pain in the bum, but I'm not very used to dropbox so if anyone knows any tricks I would be very grateful

ACASlayer wrote:
    Lemme have a look here and see. I find they often make mistakes to be honest with you

Thanks.
    Ya I thought as much! It's quite annoying!

Why thanks.

Like, can we not discuss important topics, like what exactly is an Outline Systems Specification and do we have an example of it that we can reproduce?

I found something on the internet earlier that might help if OSS does come up in the real exam. I have never posted a link before, so hopefully this will work. Please click here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

Do we have actual solutions for the ICD cases?

How does everyone find them?

ACAguy wrote: »
    Do we have actual solutions for the ICD cases?

How does everyone find them?

Go to timetable and notes, then FAE core. Inside that there’s a zip file called All Core Solutions

They’re all in there

• Advertisement

I've gotten a hold of the case in question for the OSS. I've skimmed it and I don't see an example of an OSS. It's not coming up anyway, so let's not worry about it.

As mentioned by Paul Monaghan budgeting, JIT, TQM and Activity based management are now specifically mentioned on CS for management accounting and he excepts one to be asked

Where are everyone getting notes and material on these specifically the last 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

As mentioned by Paul Monaghan budgeting, JIT, TQM and Activity based management are now specifically mentioned on CS for management accounting and he excepts one to be asked

Where are everyone getting notes and material on these specifically the last 3.

That's all pretty much CAP 1 stuff so was going to use my notes from that.

thanks ill look at the cap1 stuff now as i didnt do cap1. Is activity based management essentially activity based costing

thanks ill look at the cap1 stuff now as i didnt do cap1. Is activity based management essentially activity based costing

No, it’s the application of ABC to actually make management decisions.

Just google the stuff and make notes or do it from the Textbook, up to you.

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote:
    I've gotten a hold of the case in question for the OSS. I've skimmed it and I don't see an example of an OSS. It's not coming up anyway, so let's not worry about it.

Do you have the actual q for this by any chance please?

ACAguy wrote:

Has anyone came across any qs in relation to these?
    Or came across any good notes?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭mrduffy

Hi do people have to login to online lectures. I am login to main site and press the link. I am just a guest. I try to login with name and password but it does not work. Anyone understand how this mediasite works?

ACAguy wrote:

Has anyone came across any qs in relation to these?
    Or came across any good notes?
    Thanks

JIT is in the brown MA cases book. ABM is in an ICD one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mckay66

Thinking of doing the ACArevision courses for FR and Audit.. anyone know if these are worth going to? Or is there any other courses to help prepare the core? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ponyface

My tip would be to accept you won’t be passing and just do a steady plan to get everything covered for the resits.

Seriously why have you such a chip on you shoulder? We are here to help each other out. This advice would make anyone panic!

Ponyface wrote: »
    My tip would be to accept you won’t be passing and just do a steady plan to get everything covered for the resits.

Seriously why have you such a chip on you shoulder? We are here to help each other out. This advice would make anyone panic!

This again?
    Catch up on a the last few pages and come back to me:

Could someone please attached the lagan case day solutions having a problem with the website

Could someone please attached the lagan case day solutions having a problem with the website

There you go

Do you have the actual q for this by any chance please?

I attached it to a post. Maybe 5 posts back up the page.

• Advertisement
Advertisement