Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nhickey07

By chance, does anyone have a listing of the cases by the main indicators/subject matter? I want to get my notes to cross-ref the different cases as back up. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Melon head

Hi
    I am repeating FAE elective. I have a C carried forward from last year. What % does that give me going into the exam. Are the lectures mentioning much about this professional competence.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Melon head wrote: »
    Hi
    I am repeating FAE elective. I have a C carried forward from last year. What % does that give me going into the exam. Are the lectures mentioning much about this professional competence.?

Contact chartered and find out. It depends on your script, not all Cs are getting the same percentage.

Loads about professional competence. It's 20% of the marks for each indicator.
    Basically be balanced, ethical, recommend, have structure to your answer, do what's asked of you and get the tone right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

The online solutions recording for STEPS CASE 3 & 4 are online now.

The air date says 24th May & 8th June so it took them that long to get it onto the site today.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭mrduffy

Boys and Girls i am repeating audit elective. I am only starting to study now. What are my chances of passing? Any tips or cases i should do would be helpfull i could not look at a book all year now I am worried

Any chance someone could attach the claddagh case solutions yet again IT issues

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭thefox1982

ACAguy wrote: »
    Any chance someone could attach the claddagh case solutions yet again IT issues

sent you them there

mrduffy wrote: »
    Boys and Girls i am repeating audit elective. I am only starting to study now. What are my chances of passing? Any tips or cases i should do would be helpfull i could not look at a book all year now I am worried

If you put the work in, you should be ok. I would start the AAAE workbook, there are 25 cases in there and then do the past papers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Patrickclare

Hi, does any one have any tips for the Core? anything would be much appreciated. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Sames87

Would it be a good idea if people just wrote suggestions similar to your post on what they think may come up? And I don’t mean “audit risks” but more specific. I know myself that i was caught out in the mocks as i did not have anything prepared for an “outline system specification” and potentially lost alot of easy marks. Surely we would have the majority of the course covered if everyone posted something that others may have missed.
    As mentioned by Paul Monaghan budgeting, JIT, TQM and Activity based management are now specifically mentioned on CS for management accounting and he excepts one to be asked

Where are everyone getting notes and material on these specifically the last 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CA1994

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to study audit for the CORE? I'm working through CORE papers in the morning and then doing technical areas of each of the super six in the evening - are people just practicing Cap2 papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ACASlayer

CA1994 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to study audit for the CORE? I'm working through CORE papers in the morning and then doing technical areas of each of the super six in the evening - are people just practicing Cap2 papers?
    Since we’re not sitting CAP 2, no. Don’t be doing CAP 2 papers. There’s more than enough FAE material to keep you going until August 28th.
    For CORE Audit, it won’t be too technical. Just cover the basics and you’ll be fine. Know the standards just in case.

ACASlayer wrote: »
    Since we’re not sitting CAP 2, no. Don’t be doing CAP 2 papers. There’s more than enough FAE material to keep you going until August 28th.
    For CORE Audit, it won’t be too technical. Just cover the basics and you’ll be fine. Know the standards just in case.

To be fair, if you're particularly weak in certain areas the general advice has been to practice CAP2 papers. Not as your maim prep, like if you do a sim, cant do the company valuation, go study CV and practice some CAP2 papers on it

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ACASlayer

ACASlayer wrote: »

To be fair, if you're particularly weak in certain areas the general advice has been to practice CAP2 papers. Not as your maim prep, like if you do a sim, cant do the company valuation, go study CV and practice some CAP2 papers on it
    Fair to do it a different way.

I would agree with you there fishy_fishy. CAP 2 would have more in depth calculations that would have to be done in your example of CV, once you can do them you are sorted.

In relation to core audit, ACASlayer is right, once you know the basics and the standards, you should be fine. The main thing is know the new layout of the audit report and what/how an issue can affect the report. There is no harm to practise one or two CAP2 papers if that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Mckay66

In terms of business leadership, how would you go about studying this? As in is it a waste of time to watch the lectures or are did people find them useful? Or should I read the textbook?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Mckay66 wrote: »
    In terms of business leadership, how would you go about studying this? As in is it a waste of time to watch the lectures or are did people find them useful? Or should I read the textbook?

I've read a few chapters of the textbook and found it good. Has loads of real life examples. I think for BL its very much a case of knowing the different models to apply in analysing a company's strategy/environment etc and just practicing loads of questions and seeing what kind of answers they are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭shanmo

McGaggs wrote:
    I attached it to a post. Maybe 5 posts back up the page.

Ya I see the solution but not the question for it. I'd like to see the q please? Thanks.

nhickey07 wrote:
    By chance, does anyone have a listing of the cases by the main indicators/subject matter? I want to get my notes to cross-ref the different cases as back up. Thanks!

Id be interested in something like this too actually.

Anybody know when the last steps case goes up? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Where are people now in terms of study, have you done many of the cases? How are you finding them?

thefox1982 wrote:
    In relation to core audit, ACASlayer is right, once you know the basics and the standards, you should be fine. The main thing is know the new layout of the audit report and what/how an issue can affect the report. There is no harm to practise one or two CAP2 papers if that helps.

New audit report? Sorry I've completely neglected audit. What am I missing? Thanks.

shanmo wrote: »
    New audit report? Sorry I've completely neglected audit. What am I missing? Thanks.

It is more so the layout of the report and there is another paragraph in relation to the companies act. If you look up TA 02/2017 Guidance on the new ISAs (Ireland) Auditing Standards issued by the Irish Auditing and Accounting Supervisory Authority. It should all be in there.

thefox1982 wrote:
    It is more so the layout of the report and there is another paragraph in relation to the companies act. If you look up TA 02/2017 Guidance on the new ISAs (Ireland) Auditing Standards issued by the Irish Auditing and Accounting Supervisory Authority. It should all be in there.

Ah. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Monet321

Mckay66 wrote: »
    Where are people now in terms of study, have you done many of the cases? How are you finding them?

Have all my folders made out. 1 for elective (APM), 1 for FR (made it for the AAFRP and updated it for remaining standards) and 1 for remaining areas (Audit, Tax and cheat sheets). APM covers a lot of MA, BL and finance and then cheat sheets fill in the gaps.

I'm doing cases in the morning and notes in the evening (revising notes or doing FR or tax questions). Going through all the ICD questions now using shorthand answers and then will move onto mock papers and past exam papers for past few years (not going doing past mock or exam papers that are over 3 years old). Will do the past exam papers out long hand about a week before the exam to get timing right.

In relation to the WWorkwear question from the Finn day- in particular the ABM indicator, just out of curiosity did anyone attempt this in a different way from the solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Olliewaterford

I am going through the self study cases but they seem to be mostly Business Leadership, any idea where there is cases with more FR in them apart from the ICD and past papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hmcf95

I am going through the self study cases but they seem to be mostly Business Leadership, any idea where there is cases with more FR in them apart from the ICD and past papers.

Derry cotter case book and then the other case book by John? There would be about 40 in total between the two , if not more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 CAIgirl

Is there any life cycle costing notes or questions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NP2018

hmcf95 wrote: »
    Derry cotter case book and then the other case book by John? There would be about 40 in total between the two , if not more :)
    What other case book are you referring to? By John?

• Advertisement

NP2018 wrote: »
    What other case book are you referring to? By John?

A white and blue book by John casey & Clare Kearney. Case studies in advanced FR it's called

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NP2018

A white and blue book by John casey & Clare Kearney. Case studies in advanced FR it's called
    Thanks for the reply, and the reminder about this book! I had forgotten I had it!

NP2018 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, and the reminder about this book! I had forgotten I had it!

Haha yeah sorry, someone informed me that its a cap2 book.. I didn't realise lol I didn't use it last year, but it's decent enough for this year , they are just very long and take ages to get through. cotter book is better

Hi everyone just letting you know that I have created a WhatsApp group this evening as I had interested from some people and there was a general agreement that boards was hard to follow and people were asking the same questions. Send me a message with your number to be added. I think it will be very helpful for the next 6 weeks and I don’t think people have to worry about constantly getting messages as WhatsApp groups can be muted thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cgal17

shanmo wrote: »
    Anybody know when the last steps case goes up? Thanks.

Solution for last steps case is out the 27th of July it said on the email.

Does anyone have a copy of the Tribune steps case? It was suppose to be put up on the 13th July

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

thefox1982 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a copy of the Tribune steps case? It was suppose to be put up on the 13th July

It should be in the steps folder if you download it again

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭acawarrior

Does anyone have a past paper analysis that shows the topics that came up in previous years by indicator? Possibly for core and audit elective? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hightower92

Hi, just wondering what tables I should be bringing into the exams? (ie. discount tables, etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Hi, just wondering what tables I should be bringing into the exams? (ie. discount tables, etc)

I always bring the Finance tables from the CAP1 exam. It has formulae on it too which can be handier than looking in my notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hightower92

McGaggs wrote: »
    I always bring the Finance tables from the CAP1 exam. It has formulae on it too which can be handier than looking in my notes.

Thanks. I didn’t do CAP1 so is there any chance you could post them here? No worries if not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Thanks. I didn’t do CAP1 so is there any chance you could post them here? No worries if not

It's on the website under CAP1 essential documents. I don't think you need to be logged in to access it.

https://www.charteredaccountants.ie/docs/default-source/Students/201718/cap1/subject-materials/cap1-finance-mock-2018-tables-and-formulae.pdf?sfvrsn=4

Don't forget all the tax reference material

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

Anyone know when mock results are due?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tgt16

OttoPilot wrote: »
    Anyone know when mock results are due?

Monday 30th July I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 FiMG

Hi everyone just letting you know that I have created a WhatsApp group this evening as I had interested from some people and there was a general agreement that boards was hard to follow and people were asking the same questions. Send me a message with your number to be added. I think it will be very helpful for the next 6 weeks and I don’t think people have to worry about constantly getting messages as WhatsApp groups can be muted thanks

Hello, I tried to message you about the Whatsapp group but it is saying your mailbox is full so you cant receive messages. Can you contact me when you get a chance please? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bartek7

Guys any idea when will the mock results be released?

Bartek7 wrote: »
    Guys any idea when will the mock results be released?

Apparently tomorrow now, should get scripts delivered in post then

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bartek7

Did you get an email or something?

Bartek7 wrote: »
    Did you get an email or something?

A few people have emailed and that’s what they said

• Advertisement
Advertisement