Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

our lights dimming when neighbours using electric power washer

Options
  • 20-08-2017 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

our next door is powerwashing his house today, using an electric power washer and every time it goes on the lights dim in our house for a split second - really noticeable on a 5ft fluorescent (old ballast/ starter type) we have in the kitchen , less noticeable on the other lights we have. as far as I remember ESB dont remedy any electrics unless it drops below 200v - I have a plug in digital energy meter and its reporting between 226v and 230v

I just a bit peeved what the dimming un-smooth power has in the long term or short term effect on my electrical and electronics in the house like lights and tv etc...

I have got surge plugs on some my electrics , but still ..

It happened last week when the neighbour at the back of our garden on the estate there he was power-washing using an electric power washer, same thing it was making our lights flicker - any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Starting current of pump causing a very short duration dip.

Probably not too unusual. Probably more noticeable with outside pole transformer and/or overhead lines to houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

should these neighbours power-washers have some kind of capacitors in them to absorb the surges as the motor inside of the power washer turns on and off?

Advertisement