Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on new wheels

Options
  • 20-08-2017 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I was out today and I broke a spoke on my back wheel, it was the stock set of wheels that came with the bike, I bought the bike back to the shop and he said there was considerable damage from this, big buckle and damage to other spokes... That got me thinking on a upgrade :D

My budget isn't too big though.... i don't want anything crazy...

I was looking at Campagnolo Khamsin Asymmetric G3 for 153 for a pair

or Campagnolo Vento Asymmetric G3 for 216 for a pair

or Campagnolo Scirocco 35 for 255 for a pair

My LBS recommended a brand tru-build for 99 for one wheel but I was a bit sceptical as Ive never heard of them

Can anyone give any recommendations? the max I want to spend is 200.. but i can stretch to 250 if there is a big quality difference.

I want a pair so their matching :p

Thanks for any help!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I bought the bike back to the shop and he said there was considerable damage from this, big buckle and damage to other spokes... That got me thinking on a upgrade :D
    the diagnosis was that the spoke break caused the other damage, and not vice versa, yeah?
    how old is the bike? just wondering if this could be a warranty issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

when the spoke broke it wrapped itself on the inside of the gear hub and scraped and bent the other spokes on that side.

he was quoting 70 for a re-build for the wheel but thats nearly the price for a new wheel and can't guarantee it will take out the buckle, theres also a small (i don't know how to describe it) sort of a hop in the wheel now after the spoke broke too.

The bike is 6 months old with just a little over 5,000km on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Mavic aksiums 113 Euro from Germany.
    Maybe 9 Euro shipping which is usually the standard with most of the German companies. Have bought these before from this company and they are bang on if you don't want to spend much.

https://www.4thebike.de/laufraeder/rennrad/aluminium/12703/mavic-aksium-one-m11-hg-shimano-rotor-laufradsatz

I've had khamsins before and while they are a decent wheel, they do need regular maintenance on the hubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

It must be a weekend for spokes I popped one out today on a pot hole couldnt avoid it, and my cycling buddy broke one climbing a small climb yesterday. Im in the market as well for a decent set of wheels Im touching the 100kgs mark so they will need to carry a minimum of that weight..
    What would ye recommend.

Thanks Irishrover they look really good! some good reviews on youtube aswell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If you're strongly considering Campagnolo wheels then be sure to look at equivalent Fulcrum wheels. They're essentially the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

macadam wrote: »
    It must be a weekend for spokes I popped one out today on a pot hole couldnt avoid it, and my cycling buddy broke one climbing a small climb yesterday. Im in the market as well for a decent set of wheels Im touching the 100kgs mark so they will need to carry a minimum of that weight..
    What would ye recommend.

Mavic Aksium Elite, reasonably priced €250 approx, carried my lard ass around all last Winter and this one as well hopefully. (100kgs as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Thanks Irishrover they look really good! some good reviews on youtube aswell!

You can't go wrong. They are most people's go to winter or commuting wheel or for people with less money, like myself, a decent upgrade from the wheels you usually get on bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Fulcrum racing 5 LG are a good wheel. Solid, a fair bit lighter thank the aksiums, and good for 25m tyres.

Use then on winter/commuter set up and very happy with them.

Good price here https://www.slanecycles.com/fulcrum-racing-5-lg-clincher-wheelset-2017-p-28447.html

Approx €180 if pay using Revolut or similar

I ended up getting the Fulcrum racing 5 worked out at 175eur with a discount code you get for subscribing to the news letter, Now to wait

• Advertisement
Advertisement