Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heptavac now or later in year?

• 20-08-2017 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi.want to start the flock on heptavac .currently have 15 pedigrees just in lamb with a few weeks.have flock of scotch that will be going to the ram in oct/nov.my question is should i do them now and or wait until the rest of them are in lamb?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

I take it that you've not done it before. If not they'll need two shots 6-8 weeks apart. You could do them now but if you left it till before lambing the lambs would benefit from it as well. But then u could lose a few over winter which would be unfortunate!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Inchilad

Some of them would be done before but not many.prob best to treat them all as one.just wondering is it best to treat the pedigrees with 8 weeks of lambing and do the hill sheep next spring when theyre 8 weeks out also.or just do them all when i do the pedigrees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Inchilad wrote: »
    Some of them would be done before but not many.prob best to treat them all as one.just wondering is it best to treat the pedigrees with 8 weeks of lambing and do the hill sheep next spring when theyre 8 weeks out also.or just do them all when i do the pedigrees

It's as simple as this, the longer you leave them without cover the more chance you have of losing a sheep, the value of one sheep would pay for vaccinating 50 sheep twice........I don't vaccinate lambs here until one dies and most years I get away without vaccinating but the years that a lamb dies he seldom dies on his own....we've had three die here in a couple of days so it's really up to yourself whether you take the risk. No one can or should advise you.
    BTW Sheep are more prone to the clostridial diseases in the winter months too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Inchilad

rangler1 wrote:
    It's as simple as this, the longer you leave them without cover the more chance you have of losing a sheep, the value of one sheep would pay for vaccinating 50 sheep twice........I don't vaccinate lambs here until one dies and most years I get away without vaccinating but the years that a lamb dies he seldom dies on his own....we've had three die here in a couple of days so it's really up to yourself whether you take the risk. No one can or should advise you. BTW Sheep are more prone to the clostridial diseases in the winter months too

Ok.ive been getting away with it until now but have bought a lot of sheep in and with it the trouble that brings.thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Adding our lesson here in the hope others don't make same mistake.

We lost a nice Texel-X ewe back in July. Should have been the type of warning for us that rangler said above coz I went out this morning and there's a ewe lamb "gone up to the stars" as our kids say.

Based on this year's prices, it'll cost us €250 to replace these animals. You'd buy a lot of Heptavec or Tribovax for that fecking money.

Will give the rest of them their first shot tomorrow and second in 6 weeks and probably give them a booster then 4 weeks pre-lambing. Whatever about the cost, the hassle of replacing them, disposing of the bodies, and the knock to morale means there'll be no more chances taken here.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Anyone ever inject themselves with Hep P? I must have given myself a half ml this morning into the base of my thumb. Hand is swollen now and sore to move my thumb, don't know if I should go get it looked at or if it will go away itself. At least I'll not get the flu!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Anyone ever inject themselves with Hep P? I must have given myself a half ml this morning into the base of my thumb. Hand is swollen now and sore to move my thumb, don't know if I should go get it looked at or if it will go away itself. At least I'll not get the flu!

Go to the doctor. Could go septic from any injection, (hardly a fresh needle was it?). Plus some vaccines can cause quite severe local inflammation in an animal never mind in a person as you are seeing with the swelling. Better safe than septic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Yup doctor and bring the packaging with ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Have some ewe lambs that got their first shot of Hep P Plus in mid August so they would be six weeks this weekend,have other bought in ewe lambs that got their first shot about a week later.

Will have them all in together at weekend,could I give all their 2nd shot...even though some are only 5 weeks since first injection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Have some ewe lambs that got their first shot of Hep P Plus in mid August so they would be six weeks this weekend,have other bought in ewe lambs that got their first shot about a week later.

Will have them all in together at weekend,could I give all their 2nd shot...even though some are only 5 weeks since first injection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

You can give it to them from 4-6 weeks apart so yes give them all their shot.

Advertisement