Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip Report: Bergamo and Lago di Como, Italy

Options
  • 20-08-2017 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭

Took a trip to northern Italy last May, and finally got around to doing a little photo writeup:

http://imgur.com/gallery/HWkeP

TL;DR: It was a wonderful trip. Bergamo itself is more than just an LCC airport; it's a lovely historic city in itself, with a lot of amazing architecture. Lake Como and the towns surrounding it are just stunningly beautiful.

All the hotels I stayed at were quite nice; they were all well-located and reasonably priced for the locations. Antica Dimora B&B in Bergamo was particularly lovely, being in a historic palazzo. Hotel Borgovico in Como wasn't anything special, but it was clean and comfortable, had a decent breakfast, and was within easy walking distance of everything in the city. Hotel Villa Belvedere in Argegno was a lovely hotel right on the lake, the parking was very handy, and the dining area on the enclosed terrace (which can be opened in the summer months) is absolutely beautiful. The Hotel Metropole in Bellagio was quite historic as well (the first hotel in Bellagio!), and was lovely, though the lack of parking did make it a little tricky (had to park about 2km away, but I managed...).

The food was all quite good as well; ate way too much delicious pasta and such. Think my favorite meals were the pizza at Trattoria Pizzeria Restaurant Borgovico in Como, the lake perch and risotto at Trattoria dei Bracconieri, and of course the tasting menu at Casual in Bergamo. The wine and food tasting at Aperitivo was also quite wonderful, though it was more about the wine than the food.

Renting a car once I left Bergamo was definitely worth it; gave me the chance to explore the mountain roads around the lake and experience some beautiful drives. Parking can definitely be an issue, especially in the popular spots like Bellagio, but it's doable.

Overall it was a great trip!

Advertisement