Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty Dames MTB Enduro (For the girls) 26th Aug 17

Options
  • 20-08-2017 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

Sounds like a novel idea, mountain biking has exploded in Ireland over the last few years but as with other countries there's always the question that it being a largely male sport might make women a bit reluctant to try it.

Something like this might get more women into it, and this might then mean more women racing at other events, or even just joining up with clubs.

At risk of cancellation due to low numbers, so if you know anyone who might fancy it, let them know!

https://www.facebook.com/irishmtbgirls/posts/1187380868074531

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It's a shame to see the possibility of it being cancelled and only 35 required to run the event.

In saying that I see the reasoning for a female only event but I don't agree with it at all to be honest. They're becoming popular in all disciplines triathlon/MTB/Running/Cycling.

Hopefully it gets the numbers required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Seeing as all the national events run mixed I have no problem with an event like this, it's a grassroots type event by the looks of it, and if it gets more people into the sport it can only be a good thing.

If the national events were split up I'll be right there beside you protesting however.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

rizzodun wrote: »
    Seeing as all the national events run mixed I have no problem with an event like this, it's a grassroots type event by the looks of it, and if it gets more people into the sport it can only be a good thing.

If the national events were split up I'll be right there beside you protesting however.

Yeah true I'd agree with that.

I just always see another unnecessary divide. I've been to a few yoga classes and I still remember the first class thinking I'm gonna be the only fella. I was but I still went back.

plenty of women drop me on the trails :D Although I see potential for a best male frock entry :eek::)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I think last year's event says it all - 40 odd women raced, maybe 10 women at a round of Gravity Enduro.

As a beginner it sucks being passed repeatedly on the trails during a race and in my experience men aren't always nice in that situation unfortunately (usually the ones racing for 40th place).

In fairness there's asshats in every walk of life, given that, they could just be competing against themselves, and most will apologise at the end of the stage for putting people off I find.

Saying that, there was a decent turnout of ladies at the grassroots enduro events, I had great banter with two just before I dropped in and ate sh1t on one of the stages, the cheers and laughing from them was hilarious as I looked for my bike, had a good chat at the end of the stage too, I recommend the grassroots series for anyone looking for a fun day out, while still being very challenging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I just ignore anyone being abusive but some people may be put off by it and be less likely to try racing again.

The atmosphere at Dirty Dames last year was brilliant and so supportive plus the trails are accessible to beginners so it's a great introduction to racing. I probably wouldn't have tried enduro if it hadn't been for that event.

Vitus First Tracks races are also very friendly, Gravity maybe a little more serious?

Gravity is probably more serious alright, but as I said, don't let a few asshats put you off, they don't reflect the majority. Check out the grassroots enduro too, can't recommend it enough and not as serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Looks like they have achieved the numbers required to run the event, so hopefully will get plenty of support and cheers on the day also!

Advertisement