Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Buyer - Mortgage Limit?

Options
  • 20-08-2017 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Myself & my partner are hoping to buy our first home in the coming year. We are both in full time employment with a combined salary of 64k. We've met with some banks before we began saving who will offer us 3.5 times our combined salary which would be about €224,000. Unfortunately, we're both from south Dublin City & with rising house prices this is not enough to stay in the area.

I've heard that in some cases there can be an exception to these rules. Has anyone ever got more than 3.5 times there annual salary? If so, which banks did you find most helpful?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Your combined salary is too low to get an exception.

But anyway, to get an exception note the things that banks talk about helping you, like having a 20% or better deposit, having a specific house, having 90k+ household income (DINKS), showing you can afford the mortgage, etc.

Have not heard of anyone getting more than 3.5 without approaching the lender with a specific house.

Given that they only ever stretch it up to 4 times income. To be honest, you might thank them. Your budget should never be based on 'whatever the bank will give me' but moreso it should be what you can afford and sustain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 janeysorcha

myshirt wrote: »

But anyway, to get an exception note the things that banks talk about helping you, like having a 20% or better deposit, having a specific house, having 90k+ household income (DINKS), showing you can afford the mortgage, etc.

Have not heard of anyone getting more than 3.5 without approaching the lender with a specific house.

Given that they only ever stretch it up to 4 times income. To be honest, you might thank them. Your budget should never be based on 'whatever the bank will give me' but moreso it should be what you can afford and sustain.

Thank you for your reply. We have actually saved a higher deposit than the 10% required. I wasn't sure on the conditions of the exception the banks offer or if it varied from lender

• Administrators Posts: 53,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You can definitely get more than this but it's getting into crazy territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭CPTM

I was offered 5X my salary as a mortgage option. Only because I had managed to save more than the expected mortgage repayment amount for 6 months in a row in an account untouched. The monthly saving amount needs to be more than the expected repayment amount because they do a stress test during the application stage, by calculating the effect of a 2% interest rate increase, and if your monthly savings ability + rent outweigh that 2% increase, then they can break the rules. Or at least, BOI did for me.. But they're the most expensive, so I wouldn't recommend then. Shop around.

CPTM wrote: »
    I was offered 5X my salary as a mortgage option. Only because I had managed to save more than the expected mortgage repayment amount for 6 months in a row in an account untouched. The monthly saving amount needs to be more than the expected repayment amount because they do a stress test during the application stage, by calculating the effect of a 2% interest rate increase, and if your monthly savings ability + rent outweigh that 2% increase, then they can break the rules. Or at least, BOI did for me.. But they're the most expensive, so I wouldn't recommend then. Shop around.

At the moment, we're saving about 2000 a month. Our monthly repayments would have been around €900 for a mortgage of €224,000. To rent in our current area, it's about €1500+ for a 1 bed apartment so you can imagine our frustration

• Advertisement

At the moment, we're saving about 2000 a month. Our monthly repayments would have been around €900 for a mortgage of €224,000. To rent in our current area, it's about €1500+ for a 1 bed apartment so you can imagine our frustration

I think I'm missing something.. So you're saving 2000 per month and you're also spending 1500 on rent? Or how much is your rent?

Make sure your savings are consistent and completely untouched. Surely the bank will let common sense prevail. Are there any other reasons you've seen pushback? For example, credit card debts or non-permenant jobs?

awec wrote:
    They aren't getting pushback, they are getting offered 3.5 times their salary (i.e. the normal maximum).

Sorry I mis-read, I thought they had tried and failed to get more than the 3.5 times the salary.
    awec wrote:
    I don't think common sense comes into it, I would imagine that banks have defined criteria that must be met before they'd look at going above the limit.

Yes, I agree, except that decision making process that allows them to go beyond the limit is what I call "common sense". I'm sure someone somewhere has summarised it in a spreadsheet so that decisions are made uniformly. But first comes the common sense to allow exceptions beyond 3.5, then comes the 'predefined criteria' to which you're referring to make sure nobody takes it too far.

I think I'm missing something.. So you're saving 2000 per month and you're also spending 1500 on rent? Or how much is your rent?

Make sure your savings are consistent and completely untouched. Surely the bank will let common sense prevail. Are there any other reasons you've seen pushback? For example, credit card debts or non-permenant jobs?

We're saving €2000 a month but still living at home. We have yet to apply so we haven't been pushed back, one of us has recently changed job so simply had to wait to pass the probation period before applying.

We're saving €2000 a month but still living at home. We have yet to apply so we haven't been pushed back, one of us has recently changed job so simply had to wait to pass the probation period before applying.

Good approach. Hopefully you won't need to wait too long. I'm not sure where you are based in South Dublin, but I had a good experience in Terenure's Bank of Ireland. The lady in there was really easy to talk to about it all, and really friendly. The only thing is that Bank of Ireland seem to be the most expensive, but an approval from one bank might make another more likely to approve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

The only thing is that Bank of Ireland seem to be the most expensive, but an approval from one bank might make another more likely to approve.

Bank of Ireland worked out the cheapest for us over the next 5-8 years by about €8,000 at which point we will be free to change providers if we see fit.

• Advertisement

Yea this will be a big factor IMO. Even if you show you regularly saved 2000 a month it will be because your cost of living is almost nothing right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

My broker said they could get me about 4.1x my salary which is about yours but I'm single. Didn't take extra in the end. Will an extra 40-60k make a difference? You might be better looking elsewhere even if it isn't your preference. I had a couple of times my salary in savings which probably makes getting an exception easier and was paying rent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Would it be worth waiting a year or so and job hunting to up your salaries?
    Long term it might mean that you could buy a house in a location that you might prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

What is the typical profile of a purchaser is this part of the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

You're saving a thousand a month each while living at home, well done on that but please don't fall into the trap of thinking that if the bank would only give you a little extra it would be fine.
    The boom the last time was fuelled by crazy lending by the banks and borrowing from people just like you. All that extra credit does is inflate the price. Which is ok as long as
    You both continue earning the same or more than currently so
    No redundancy
    No unpaid maternity
    No major illnesses
    No major changes in interest rates.
    Continue saving, try to increase your earnings which are low or move somewhere more affordable. Please don't try to stretch the rules, your earnings are not high enough to do so.

We've actually got over double the required deposit at the moment. We've also paid off our loans. It's quite frustrating as houses prices are just higher & higher each day!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's not just about the deposit though, it's also about your ability to meet the repayments with money to spare. Have you done the maths on that yet?

dudara wrote: »
    It's not just about the deposit though, it's also about your ability to meet the repayments with money to spare. Have you done the maths on that yet?

For a mortgage of €224,000, our monthly repayments be approx €900.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 The_Causeway

You would be eligible for more than 3.5 times your salary depending on how much income you have left net monthly after your mortgage repayments and any other financial committments ie loans, children. As an underwriter it's not my favourite thing to do but I've seen people on lower combined incomes get them. As far as I know all banks have stopped offering exceptions for now, the bank I work for has as we gave away quiet a lot at the start of the year so we had to stop. In general, they start offering them towards the end of the year again. They are more particular then about who gets them as they have a limited amount left.

How much do you actually want to borrow?

(Not knowing your ages or positions in life) - you can't afford to buy what you want to buy where you want to buy it.

Some of your options are to borrow beyond the cap (I don't see this happening), buy something smaller, earn more, buy somewhere else, keep saving.

What other options have you considered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

We've actually got over double the required deposit at the moment. We've also paid off our loans. It's quite frustrating as houses prices are just higher & higher each day!

Don't forget you will need money to pay legal fees, furniture, bills, appliances, any renovation work etc etc. Its a tough slogg buying your first house but its worth it, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That's not exactly the answer I was looking for. What the bank will look at is how much money you have left over after meeting your commitments each month. They don't want you putting all your take home pay into the mortgage. They will also stress test this to make sure that you still have the capacity to repay even if mortgage rates increase.

In addition you will need to factor another several thousand to cover stamp duty, solicitors fees etc.

I'd personally recommend speaking to a good mortgage / financial advisor who can help lay out all of this for you. A good one can be worth their weight in gold (well nearly!)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 OscarBluth

Is there a particular area you want to stay in, or just south Dublin? With your budget, assuming you want a three bed house, there are some nice houses in Crumlin, Drimnagh or Tallaght which are all south side and could all fit a family. If you'd be happy with a two-bed, there's more choice. Some of these areas have bad reputations, and bad areas, but I've not heard anything bad from friends who are living there. Crumlin in particular is very accessible to the city centre, and lots of the houses you could buy for that money have 60ft long back gardens.

The thing is, most people I know who are buying houses now earn more money than their parents would have - two salaries rather than one, more 'prestigious' careers - solicitors instead of teachers, etc - yet very few of us have been able to afford to buy in the areas we grew up in. If you were lucky enough to grow up in what is now a very fancy neighbourhood, as seems to have happened with many south Dublin suburbs, and you don't earn the salary required to live there now, you might be happier if you readjust your expectations rather than put pressure on yourself to get in an unrealistic amount of debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

We have been approved in principal for 3.85 times salary and our friend got 4 times salary.
    We had more than 10% required deposit saved. Difference between rent paid and mortgage was €80/month and we easily passed stress test of 8% interest rate.
    So yes it is possible to get more than 3.5 times

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

According to the Central Bank figures, last year 17.5% of FTBs got an exemption from the LTI rules. Of those, the average LTI was 3.8 and average mortgage of 241k (i.e. average salary of 63.5k) with property value of 319k (24.5% deposit). The rough breakdown of exemptions is 40% up to 3.75, 35% up to 4, 20% up to 4.25 and 5% up to 4.5.

So if we assume you can get 3.8 with a 20% deposit you can afford to buy in the region of 300k.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What is the typical profile of a purchaser is this part of the market?

For houses, 100k+ combined with 100k+ deposit. Sub 400k seems very competitive at the moment.

There are 2 bed apartments in the OP's budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Hani Kosti wrote: »
    We have been approved in principal for 3.85 times salary and our friend got 4 times salary.
    We had more than 10% required deposit saved. Difference between rent paid and mortgage was €80/month and we easily passed stress test of 8% interest rate.
    So yes it is possible to get more than 3.5 times

Jesus they stressed you at 8 %? Serious stress

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Jesus they stressed you at 8 %? Serious stress

8%? Is this correct? Seems remarkably high?

What bank stress tests at 8%?

I'm not really sure how you would borrow 3.85x and still pass an 8% stress test easily. Unless I am missing something those figures don't add up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

8%? Is this correct? Seems remarkably high?

1-2% is much more likely, even that is not likely any time soon

Advertisement