Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women and Makeup

• 20-08-2017 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Am I the only one who thinks makeup looks stupid. All it does is make the woman look uglier in my opinion can the women not see it. I was just looking through night club pictures on facebook just now and I said I will come on boards and voice my opinion and see what everyone elses opinion is on the subject.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I was just looking through night club pictures on facebook just now .

As you do.

Am I the only one who thinks makeup looks stupid. All it does is make the woman look uglier in my opinion can the women not see it.

Oh no, you got us. We all put on makeup exactly the same way and all for you. Well since you've decreed it, we'll all stop.
    Pack it up, ladies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Am I the only one who thinks makeup looks stupid. All it does is make the woman look uglier in my opinion can the women not see it. I was just looking through night club pictures on facebook just now and I said I will come on boards and voice my opinion and see what everyone elses opinion is on the subject.

Are these pictures you took in the club or just random pictures of other people?

Club lights would not show make-up at its best anyway. So maybe your just looking at the wrong type of pictures.

Make-up is great when used right and for the right situations :)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

AMKC wrote: »
    Are these pictures you took in the club or just random pictures of other people?

Club lights would not show make-up at its best anyway. So maybe your just looking at the wrong type of pictures.

Make-up is great when used right and for the right situations :)

Pictures are perfectly clear...

https://www.facebook.com/pg/karmaathlone/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1467417996685892

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Ah the old war paint, makes a turnip look like a rose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

If you're talking about the gigantic, badly drawn-on eyebrows that some women inexplicably sport, I'd agree with you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Are you sure they were actual women you were looking at??!! :p

As a woman who frequently wears makeup I think that it enhances features already present. Of course there are the few who don't need makeup at all, and may even look better without it! Unfortunately I am not one of them but such is life! I have a great personality though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

There's huge social pressure to wear make up for many women who are in professional jobs. Not wearing make up would seem strange and, as such, could impact women professionally.

It's pretty much the same on a night out, what women doesnt wear make up when heading out? To sit there and claim that it's "stupid" is indicative of an individual who hasn't given much thought to make up at all.

twill wrote: »
    If you're talking about the gigantic, badly drawn-on eyebrows that some women inexplicably sport, I'd agree with you there.

Like this?

http://makeup-mania.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Funny-Eyebrows-9.jpg

Or this?

http://uchaguzi.co.ke/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/eyebrows-how-not-to-do.jpg

OP here my last girlfriend was a model and wore no makeup when we were together as I told her I did not like it. She obviously wore it when modeling.

And my past few girlfriends were the same although not models they were really good looking.

It goes back to my school days and joking with the lads saying she must get a plasterer around to put the makeup on and she must then use a hammer and chisel to get it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

I'm sure they couldn't give a toss what you think. Women wear makeup for themselves, not you and unless they ask you for your opinion, I wouldn't be under the illusion that they want it.

Who goes through night club pictures critiquing women's makeup?!

You sound a bit on the controlling side tbh.

Toastytoes wrote: »
    I'm sure they couldn't give a toss what you think. Wonen wear makeup for themselves, not you and unless they ask you for your opinion, I wouldn't be under the illusion that they want it.

Who goes through night club pictures critiquing women's makeup?!

I do, and most of the women I find are really ugly. Only young models for me.

What happened your last girlfriend I traded her in for a younger model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

All I see are lots of people out having fun and looking good doing it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I do, and most of the women I find are really ugly. Only young models for me.

What happened your last girlfriend I traded her in for a younger model.

What an exciting life you do lead....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

After a quick glance at those I don't see anyone who looks overly made up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Well I'd hazard a guess and say women don't go about their day with the view you'll find them aesthetically pleasing

fineso.mom wrote: »

You have to admit though most of them are ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

OP here my last girlfriend was a model and wore no makeup when we were together as I told her I did not like it. She obviously wore it when modeling.

You know when they take pictures of the blow-up dolls for the online shops you buy them in, that doesn't really count as 'modeling', right?

But sure attractiveness and unattractiveness are subjective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think wearing any amount make-up is fine but I do think people who refuse to let there close family see them without make-up are a little silly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

sometimes people calling other people ugly should make sure they've no info on their profile that might lead others to something else, for example, a dating site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

OP here my last girlfriend was a model

Of course she was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

One large Irish bank has actually specified that the female employees should wear makeup at work! Now wearing it cause you want to and wearing it cause you have to are two different things

Of course she was

A blow-up model :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Ummmmmh ....no. I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I think they look really nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

A lot of women wear makeup because of how it makes them feel, not how it makes you feel about them.
    Reading your posts OP, the first thing that stands out for me is the fact that you've had relationships with girls in which you told them that you don't like makeup so they stopped wearing it . Yeah, that bit doesn't ring true for me to be honest!
    But just imagining for a second that it were true, it's actually sad that a girl would, presumably in the early stages of a relationship, stop doing something she enjoys just to make her boyfriend happy.
    Maybe I'm just a selfish bint but if I was seeing a guy and he told me that he doesn't like makeup, I'd suggest that he shouldn't wear it then. It wouldn't even occur to me to put down the makeup gun - if he can't suck it up and put up with it, then we're not suited.

screamer wrote: »
    One large Irish bank has actually specified that the female employees should wear makeup at work! Now wearing it cause you want to and wearing it cause you have to are two different things

I worked in a hotel before and I'm pretty sure the female staff had to do the same.(Even the one's who wouldn't be front of house)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

And my past few girlfriends were the same although not models they were really good looking.

It goes back to my school days and joking with the lads saying she must get a plasterer around to put the makeup on and she must then use a hammer and chisel to get it off.

I remember when being a model meant something, back when every person wasn't walking around with two cameras on their phone, cameras were rare, film wasn't cheap, film was a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

dee_mc wrote: »
    A lot of women wear makeup because of how it makes them feel.

Yeah... their drawn on cheek bones makes them feel.... like they can afford to have another doughnut.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

fineso.mom wrote: »

Ah now, the vast majority of the women there are caked in it. Look at any of the pictures with men and women in it and the skin colours are completely different for starters.

It's quite possible not one of them gives a good gosh golly what the OP thinks though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

dee_mc wrote: »
    A lot of women wear makeup because of how it makes them feel, not how it makes you feel about them.
    Reading your posts OP, the first thing that stands out for me is the fact that you've had relationships with girls in which you told them that you don't like makeup so they stopped wearing it . Yeah, that bit doesn't ring true for me to be honest!
    But just imagining for a second that it were true, it's actually sad that a girl would, presumably in the early stages of a relationship, stop doing something she enjoys just to make her boyfriend happy.
    Maybe I'm just a selfish bint but if I was seeing a guy and he told me that he doesn't like makeup, I'd suggest that he shouldn't wear it then. It wouldn't even occur to me to put down the makeup gun - if he can't suck it up and put up with it, then we're not suited.

You had me at makeup gun.

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

If there's any justice in the world hopefully there are girls out there looking at the OP's Facebook laughing at how ugly he is too.
    At least we have make up.

anna080 wrote: »
    If there's any justice in the world hopefully there are girls out there looking at the OP's Facebook laughing at how ugly he is too.
    At least we have make up.

I went to college with a girl and she used always be covered in make up. She dyed her hair and looked a little different. I remember on a night out I was with a friend and they said is that XXXXX I looked and wasn't fully sure and then I noticed her wonky nose. Her make up wasn't able to cover that up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Nothing wrong with a bit of makeup on women, just don't go overboard..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Am I the only one who thinks makeup looks stupid.

No you are not.

The entire idea of covering my face with chemicals every day is repulsive. I wear a little lipstick and eyeliner for job interviews and similar, but that's it. Most of the women I work with in professional situation do similar.

The beauty industry (sic) is just a massive con trick that preys on women's insecurities with the aim of parting them from as much of from their money as possible.

I suspect (cannot prove) that most make up products started as by-products of chemical processes for making something useful, and that the make-up products were invented as a way to use them up.

Fake tan is the thing that cracks me up the most. Women walk around looking like they've spilled Fanta alll over themselves, and seriously expect people to believe that it looks good. Madness, as well as ugly.

Nothing wrong with a bit of makeup on women, just don't go overboard..

Whose business is it how much make up a woman may wear?! Women don't exist purely for men to look at and be happy with what they see. WOMEN DO NOT WEAR MAKEUP FOR MEN. THEY WEAR IT FOR THEMSELVES.

I'm not particularly fond of balding heads or beer bellies, they're so ugly, I think it's time for every bald man out there to get a hairpiece. After all the most important thing is that I'm happy with how you look.

Whose business is it how much make up a woman may wear?! Women don't exist purely for men to look at and be happy with what they see. WOMEN DO NOT WEAR MAKEUP FOR MEN. THEY WEAR IT FOR THEMSELVES.

I'm not particularly fond of balding heads or beer bellies, they're so ugly, I think it's time for every bald man out there to get a hairpiece. After all the most important thing is that I'm happy with how you look.

At least with us blokes what you see is what you get. No false advertising with us sexy blokes :pac:

At least with us blokes what you see is what you get. No false advertising with us sexy blokes :pac:

Oh I'm sorry you thought I naturally had glittery gold eyelids, you must feel so cheated!

No false advertising? Have you never seen a combover or the tonne of product some men use to hide their bald patches? At least I still have a face when I take off my makeup but there's no guarantee you'll still have hair in the morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Well I'd hazard a guess and say women don't go about their day with the view you'll find them aesthetically pleasing

I'd agree with that, I'm a man of the world and from my perspective women seem more concerned about how they appear to other women than how they appear to men, and it's more of a confidence booster than anything else. Don't get me wrong, when its done right it's not even noticeable, but when it's done bad it looks really f*"kn bad.

Oh I'm sorry you thought I naturally had glittery gold eyelids, you must feel so cheated!

No false advertising? Have you never seen a combover or the tonne of product some men use to hide their bald patches? At least I still have a face when I take off my makeup but there's no guarantee you'll still have hair in the morning!

You're coming across as a complete loon bag, take a chill pill and relax.

You're coming across as a complete loon bag, take a chill pill and relax.

Sure thing Jim Bob. I'm guessing you're a baldie and my comments hit a nerve :rolleyes: Just get a hairpiece so us women don't have to be looking at your bald spot.

I started going thin on top at around 29, I'm 36 now and still have a head. The only tonne of product I ever used was a woman from Liverpool and the only thing that was gone the next morning was me. Incidentally, she was caked in make-up.

Sure thing Jim Bob. I'm guessing you're a baldie and my comments hit a nerve :rolleyes: Just get a hairpiece so us women don't have to be looking at your bald spot.

I started going thin on top at around 29, I'm 36 now and still have a head. The only tonne of product I ever used was a woman from Liverpool and the only thing that was gone the next morning was me. Incidentally, she was caked in make-up.

You sound like a catch all round I have to say....

Firm but fair Toastytoes. But it works both ways. If Jim Bob has to disguise the parts of his head that are getting a bit 'baldie' it's only fair that his missus shaves the bits of herself that weren't hairy when future baldie Jim got down on his good knee and proposed to her.

Firm but fair Toastytoes. But it works both ways. If Jim Bob has to disguise the parts of his head that are getting a bit 'baldie' it's only fair that his missus shaves the bits of herself that weren't hairy when future baldie Jim got down on his good knee and proposed to her.

Only if baldie Jim shaves the bits of him that weren't hairy either that day such as his back, ears and nostrils, all of which now have their own ecosystem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm a man, so a lot of what I'm saying here might be absolute nonsense...

I do wonder sometimes when I see someone I know when they are "made up", as opposed to just looking like their regular day to day self, and, nine times out of ten, they look better without the stuff on their face. It makes me realise that I will never truly know anything about what kind of pressures and motivations are wrapped up in being a woman. Then you've got people like the OP starting a thread criticising women and their make up wearing habits, based on a few nightclub pictures off facebook - which is full of nothing but ugly women, so he says anyway. You can't win.

Fake tan though - that I don't understand. I just can't help it; I find it downright repulsive.

Men just don't seem to comprehend that many women just enjoy makeup. It's nothing to do with wanting men/people to think they look different or better, they just enjoy it.

It's no different to my partner enjoying tinkering with his motor bike, I don't understand it but I leave him to it. I enjoy tinkering with my makeup collection and he leaves me to that.

If you ever witness women discuss makeup, I don't think you will ever hear them talking about what men like/want. It's not about men. It's about women who enjoy makeup. Trying new products, hearing how things performed for other people etc. Go over the the Beauty forum and see or watch some of the beauty channels on YouTube. Makeup has nothing to do with what men like/want/approve of (excl. males who wear makeup themselves that is such as Mannymua).

If you don't like a woman's makeup look, she probably doesn't care, so keep it to yourself and get over it.

It's not the 50's, women are free to make their own decisions and if they want your opinion they'll probably ask. And if they don't, then it's not your business.

• Advertisement
Advertisement