Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women and Makeup

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Lux23 wrote: »
    I think I wear makeup on a night out or in work because it makes me feel more confident...

Saw an ad on tv about these pantyliners that can make you score goals, dance at concerts and have a great life. I'm thinking of trying them myself next time my confidence needs a boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

anna080 wrote:
    The industry wants to capatiise on women's insecurities, shock horror. That doesn't make women fair game to pick apart.

The industry can only capitalize on it if you play along.

Also, while I think linking to that FB page was a ****ty move by the op, allowing you picture to be taken and published does increase the chances of being picked apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

danganabu wrote: »
    Reading through this thread one thing struck me.....the OP and Toastytoes would make a lovely couple, made for each other, and not in a good way!

I can see the bald head comments ruffled A LOT of feathers, presumably cos there's no hair on their heads to ruffle....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Toastytoes wrote: »
    I can see the bald head comments ruffled A LOT of feathers, presumably cos there's no hair on their heads to ruffle....:)

Are you twelve?? Seriously it's pathetic :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

'Evolutionary Make Up Tips for Women: Super Lipstick Techniques for Superior Mate Attraction!' by Charles Darwin really is a must read for everyone!

pWbOK6E.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The industry can only capitalize on it if you play along.

Also, while I think linking to that FB page was a ****ty move by the op, allowing you picture to be taken and published does increase the chances of being picked apart.

I wonder would you still think that if it was you or someone you know in those pictures.
    Posing for a picture when you're on a night out enjoying yourself DOES NOT make you fair game to have your appearance picked apart and ridiculed by anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

anna080 wrote: »
    It's not always for other men, or other women, or other anyone. I used to wear a lot of make up through secondary school to cover up what I thought was horribly freckly skin. I actually knew that the make up didn't look great on me, but to me it was a vast improvement on my bare face( which looking back, was lovely, I just didn't see it)

Freckles are sexy!

I'm not a fan of makeup at all I have to say, most women I've gone out with haven't worn it, probably due to the fact that I'd be much more likely to fancy and therefore try and chat up a woman who had no makeup on in the first place.
    I did go out with one woman who wouldn't leave the house for any reason without first spending an hour and a half or more doing her hair and applying make up - life is too short to wait around for that shít.
    Drove me mad - I was glad to see the back of her in the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I was glad to see the back of her in the end!

Usually the best bit.

Saw an ad on tv about these pantyliners that can make you score goals, dance at concerts and have a great life. I'm thinking of trying them myself next time my confidence needs a boost.

Do you remember the name of them? I want to send some to Jurgen Klopp:D

Are you twelve?? Seriously it's pathetic :rolleyes:

are you 12?! Why exactly would you suggest myself and the op would make a good couple? Don't give digs if you can't take them.

Why is it ok to pick apart a woman's appearance but not a man's?

Why is being labelled bald so offensive to you? But it's ok to call random girls pictured on a night out ugly?

Get over yourself, a couldn't give a flying f what you think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

He could do with them, he's got a lot of useless cnuts to manage...

(I'll get me coat and see myself out)

I think anyone who buys those magazines should have to pay back every cent spent on their education.
    But they do sell...and given the number of different brands at checkouts, the demand is there.

are you 12?! Why exactly would you suggest myself and the op would make a good couple? Don't give digs if you can't take them.

Why is being labelled bald so offensive to you? But it's ok to call random girls pictured on a night out ugly?

A lot of the make up issues ( the eyebrows thing) being derided are deliberate.
    Baldness on the other hand...,

anna080 wrote:
    I wonder would you still think that if it was you or someone you know in those pictures. Posing for a picture when you're on a night out enjoying yourself DOES NOT make you fair game to have your appearance picked apart and ridiculed by anyone.

Yes, I would. That's why I would avoid being in pictures like that like the plague.

It's not nice, or fair, but it's a distinct possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

are you 12?! Why exactly would you suggest myself and the op would make a good couple? Don't give digs if you can't take them. Becuse you are both irrational, immature human beings

Why is it ok to pick apart a woman's appearance but not a man's? Where did I say it was ok to pick apart any womens appearance

Why is being labelled bald so offensive to you? But it's ok to call random girls pictured on a night out ugly? It's not offensive to me at all, lovely full head of hair thank you, although it is changing colour rapidly :D and again please point out where I called anyone ugly??

:rolleyes:

Fannipuddle maxi

(Can't think of any good soccer puns, despite them being a bunch of pu$$ies)

But they do sell...and given the number of different brands at checkouts, the demand is there.

Yup. I think it's sad. Not like pathetic sad, but sad.

:rolleyes:

Please!! It's clearly offensive to you.

I'd put money on it that you're follicly challenged.

The outrage is hilarious.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

fmpisces wrote: »
    Are you sure they were actual women you were looking at??!! :p

As a woman who frequently wears makeup I think that it enhances features already present. Of course there are the few who don't need makeup at all, and may even look better without it! Unfortunately I am not one of them but such is life! I have a great personality though :D

No one 'needs' makeup :) It's a personal choice. Personally, I hate wearing make up. I hate putting it on, I hate the feel of it and I hate how I look with it on. I'll put a bit on for things like weddings and big nights out but I'm mostly make up free. I don't look anything like a model either. Curious if I fall into your women who 'need' make up though :P
    The thing about other women wearing make up is that it probably makes me look worse as people forget that women can get bags under their eyes...or can just look tired...
    I remember putting a teeny bit of foundation on one day for work because I was shattered and wanted to take the tiredness away from my face (to avoid annoying questions mostly) - was told I looked 'fabulous' - was offended at that actually (do I normally look bad? :rolleyes: )

It's just something I've never been interested in. Glad I don't 'have' to wear it for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It's not ok to pick apart a woman's appearance, and stooping to the same level as the OP to express your disgust at some men's appearance really doesn't make your point very well at all.

• Advertisement

I don't go for much make up myself, but if it makes the wearer happy then it's no one elses business how much they wear, how attractive it is, what they look like without it, who they wear it for, or how long and how much they spend on it. It's their business, and theirs only.

If you don't like looking at girls wearing make up, exercise your ability to turn your attention to something else and do that instead.

It's not ok to pick apart a woman's appearance, and stooping to the same level as the OP to express your disgust at some men's appearance really doesn't make your point very well at all.

I've given up on making a point, I'm just here for the outrage now. It's very amusing. People allow a little word like bald to evoke such a strong reaction in them, instead of just accepting it. Why give it so much power?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

There's nothing wrong with using makeup but it's not a good idea to look like a different person altogether especially the first time you meet someone.

If guys started wearing heavily padded cloths to look like they were better built and sticking cucumbers down their pants to make themselves better endowed, do you not think women would get miffed?

Potatoeman wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with using makeup but it's not a good idea to look like a different person altogether especially the first time you meet someone.

If guys started wearing heavily padded cloths to look like they were better built and sticking cucumbers down their pants to make themselves better endowed, do you not think women would get miffed?

You can tell when a woman is wearing make up. Not so much a hidden sock in the pants, though why anyone would bother is beyond me.

I agree that make up can make you look very different and that's the artistic appeal of it to some girls. Leave them to it, you don't have to have anything to do with them if you don't want to.

Candie wrote: »
    You can tell when a woman is wearing make up. Not so much a hidden sock in the pants, though why anyone would bother is beyond me.

I agree that make up can make you look very different and that's the artistic appeal of it to some girls. Leave them to it, you don't have to have anything to do with them if you don't want to.

Some people can look completely different. I know one woman that had straightened her frizzy hair, foundation to cover bad skin, heavily padded bra and a corset to keep her stomach in. Completely different looking without all this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You can tell when a woman is wearing make up.
    I dunno about that C. Not with a fair few men anyway. The number I've known who think "X doesn't wear any makeup" when X is sporting foundation, mascara eyeliner and lippy, the "natural" look, rather than the Russian hooker look.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Some people can look completely different. I know one woman that had straightened her frizzy hair, foundation to cover bad skin, heavily padded bra and a corset to keep her stomach in. Completely different looking without all this.

So what though? It doesn't affect you, it's not your face or stomach or whatever. If you don't like the look of heavy make up then just don't approach girls in heavy make up. You can see it a mile off, same with push up bras - if her boobs are up too high or squashed together to create cleavage, it's obviously not going to look the same when it comes off. Heels are obvious too.

Men can grow beards, shave their heads, wear lifts, pad their pants with socks, get their teeth whitened, take roids and bulk up. If I don't like that look, I just leave them to it.

It's none of my business what other people look like in the raw or what they do to improve their looks. Leave them to it.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I dunno about that C. Not with a fair few men anyway. The number I've known who think "X doesn't wear any makeup" when X is sporting foundation, mascara eyeliner and lippy, the "natural" look, rather than the Russian hooker look.

That's very true and most people think I never wear make up because on the occasions I do, it's very little. Very few people find that amount objectionable though, and when a lot of men say they like no make up, they mean no obvious make up.

I think the kind of make up we're talking about here is the Kardashian style of full make up, and if you can't spot three shades of contour stuff and fake lashes it's not complaining about makeup you should be doing, it's making an appointment at SpecSavers.

I don't think all men are actually npcs that only exist to be aesthetically pleasing to me, so funnily enough it wouldn't tend to be an issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

It's just something I've never been interested in. Glad I don't 'have' to wear it for work.

Same here, even as a teenager I never bothered. I hate how it feels. Even the smell of it (especially foundation) makes me choke...I can smell when someone's wearing three inches of the stuff!
    A colleague told me to go to Debenhams and get a makeup artist to do my face before a promotion interview once! I looked at her and asked were we still in the 1960s?

Each to their own, but it's not for me.

I've given up on making a point, I'm just here for the outrage now. It's very amusing. People allow a little word like bald to evoke such a strong reaction in them, instead of just accepting it. Why give it so much power?

Because insulting people generally tends to provoke a strong reaction in them. It's not 'just a little word' when the intent behind it is clearly to provoke outrage for your own amusement. I'm not bald myself, but I've known a few men... actually I've known more women than men, who have let as you put it, a little word like bald upset them greatly, because they aren't able to accept that it happens, and that it happened to them.

I am overweight though, but it's never bothered me as it's never been an impediment, and even though I have people comment on it regularly, it doesn't bother me because I have far greater impediments I'm actually self-conscious about that thankfully most people are never even aware of ;)

Because insulting people generally tends to provoke a strong reaction in them. It's not 'just a little word' when the intent behind it is clearly to provoke outrage for your own amusement. I'm not bald myself, but I've known a few men... actually I've known more women than men, who have let as you put it, a little word like bald upset them greatly, because they aren't able to accept that it happens, and that it happened to them.

I am overweight though, but it's never bothered me as it's never been an impediment, and even though I have people comment on it regularly, it doesn't bother me because I have far greater impediments I'm actually self-conscious about that thankfully most people are never even aware of ;)

It wasn't originally to provoke outrage for my amusement, it was to make a point that it's not anyone else's business how someone looks. Somethings are unattractive to some people, such as heavy makeup or baldness, that doesn't give anyone the right to comment on it as if they are entitled to.

The outrage in response to the bald comment was unexpected, I could just have easily said short men instead of bald men. I'm not actually disgusted by baldness, I'm not actually that shallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

We all know women who are absolutely transformed by make up and others who it doesn't make a big difference too. Each to their own. I have no problem with it either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

backspin. wrote: »
    I have no problem with it either way.

Good. Cause it's not for you.

So what though? It doesn't affect you, it's not your face or stomach or whatever. If you don't like the look of heavy make up then just don't approach girls in heavy make up. You can see it a mile off, same with push up bras - if her boobs are up too high or squashed together to create cleavage, it's obviously not going to look the same when it comes off. Heels are obvious too.

Men can grow beards, shave their heads, wear lifts, pad their pants with socks, get their teeth whitened, take roids and bulk up. If I don't like that look, I just leave them to it.

It's none of my business what other people look like in the raw or what they do to improve their looks. Leave them to it.

Well we had meet online and what she normally looked like was very different. It was very misleading.

• Advertisement

It wasn't originally to provoke outrage for my amusement, it was to make a point that it's not anyone else's business how someone looks. Somethings are unattractive to some people, such as heavy makeup or baldness, that doesn't give anyone the right to comment on it as if they are entitled to.

The outrage in response to the bald comment was unexpected, I could just have easily said short men instead of bald men. I'm not actually disgusted by baldness, I'm not actually that shallow.

Keep digging...

#jenesuisbaldypas

Keep digging...

#jenesuisbaldypas

Roger, I'm very pleased for you that you're not bald. Good for you. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I mostly hate makeup but wear mascara daily and do my eyebrows. I definitely only do that much for me and how I feel looking in a a mirror. I will not wear any more makeup than that under any circumstances, not for parties, weddings, work, interviews etc. But I admire good makeup on many women and know most enjoy doing themselves up.

There is, however, a weird view of makeup as being necessary among many men and women imo. The number of people who feel entitled to comment on appearance is staggering tbh. It has been fairly evenly from men and women. The comments from young children astound me sometimes. They often ask why I don't wear makeup and tell me I look weird without it, say my skin is too white and tell me I'll never get a husband if I don't wear lipstick. I find these ideas at such a young age a little scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I mostly hate makeup but wear mascara daily and do my eyebrows. I definitely only do that much for me and how I feel looking in a a mirror. I will not wear any more makeup than that under any circumstances, not for parties, weddings, work, interviews etc. But I admire good makeup on many women and know most enjoy doing themselves up.

There is, however, a weird view of makeup as being necessary among many men and women imo. The number of people who feel entitled to comment on appearance is staggering tbh. It has been fairly evenly from men and women. The comments from young children astound me sometimes. They often ask why I don't wear makeup and tell me I look weird without it, say my skin is too white and tell me I'll never get a husband if I don't wear lipstick. I find these ideas at such a young age a little scary.

I'll marry you, Arl ;)
    Then the little shits will see you were better off without a husband.

Don't ruin it, I think I'm in love... One if my favourite pieces of music and all... I'm picturing a dusky white black haired, doe eyed beauty... Lace hat...swirling skirts....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well that opinion is learnt from parents. Obviously from parents making nasty comments about other people.
    Never understand peoples need to comment on others appearance either and that rubbish is why some women don't have the confidence to go anywhere without makeup. I know a girl who would put a hood up and walk the couple of minutes home from the gym with her head down in case anyone sees her without makeup. She looks fine without makeup - I barely recognised her the first time I saw a pic of her without makeup...not because she looked so awful I wished shed put her face back on but because she wears so much of it that I could barely recognise her. Pretty girl either way but she lacks confidence and there is no need for it as she is pretty without it anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Looking at the rose of Tralee here... do they not have professionals to do the make up for this?

Well that opinion is learnt from parents. Obviously from parents making nasty comments about other people.

Seems a bit easy and convenient to pass judgement on the parents without knowing what is influencing the children's opinions really, it could easily be any number of influential factors, not the least of which the the possibility that the children may be of an age where they are perfectly capable of forming judgements like that for themselves.

Never understand peoples need to comment on others appearance either and that rubbish is why some women don't have the confidence to go anywhere without makeup. I know a girl who would put a hood up and walk the couple of minutes home from the gym with her head down in case anyone sees her without makeup. She looks fine without makeup - I barely recognised her the first time I saw a pic of her without makeup...not because she looked so awful I wished shed put her face back on but because she wears so much of it that I could barely recognise her. Pretty girl either way but she lacks confidence and there is no need for it as she is pretty without it anyway.

Isn't that just you feeling the need to comment on her appearance too though? I mean, I get where you're coming from and all, but in my experience the same people suggesting that people don't need makeup, because they feel people don't need makeup, can be just as capable of passing comments and making judgements on peoples appearance, as the same people they object to doing the exact same thing.

How is it any different really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭mohawk

Why can't some men accept that the vast majority of women do not wear makeup to make themselves more attractive to men.

Don't wear makeup very often but I do when the mood takes me. I would feel weird without makeup on a night out. For work if I was meeting a client or something I would stick a bit of makeup on. Also once a month my skin breaks out and I am grateful for concealer and foundation.

Not really into contouring especially as a day look but each to their own. Don't really like fake tan. Plus the smell is rank. Haven't worn it in years and even then it was lightest shade you could get and all my friends were wearing it and only for big occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

B0jangles wrote: »
    Ok, what about men who spend hours at a time in the gym with the aim of developing huge muscles? - as far as I know, the majority of women find the very heavily-muscled look unattractive, so if the only true purpose people have in maintaining/changing their appearance is attracting someone, who are these men doing it for?

(Obviously some are gay men, but many are not)

Maybe to be healthy, to be lightly muscled which a lot of women do find attractive, maybe they wrongly believe women like huge men, maybe they want to look dominant, to impress other men by their size/ And why do you think gay men are into huge muscles guys and women arent also

I'm bald. Doesn't bother me, if you don't find it (or me) attractive, that doesn't bother me either - not everyone can love me!

I think accepting things for what they are is at least 50% of the way towards being a happy little bunny, which I generally am. A happy little baldy bunny.

It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. Does looking good make you feel good, or does feeling good make you look good (I personally think the latter, but what the hell would I know:confused:)

All I know for certain is that given the choice, I'd rather feel great and look like shít, than look great and feel like shít!

wakka12 wrote: »
    Maybe to be healthy, to be lightly muscled which a lot of women do find attractive, maybe they wrongly believe women like huge men, maybe they want to look dominant, to impress other men by their size/ And why do you think gay men are into huge muscles guys and women arent also

Because Bojangles experience probably suggests otherwise given that the women she knows or have given their opinion on the subject, aren't into huge muscles on guys?

I think the point being made is that if straight guys are going to assume that women wear makeup for their benefit, then women could assume that straight guys are working out for women's benefit, and both assumptions would of course be wrong.

Except that they aren't. What they are, is broad generalisations and extrapolations based on that persons experience, and drawing from that what to them is (or indeed isn't) a logical motivation for their assumptions, like this one -
    mohawk wrote: »
    Why can't some men accept that the vast majority of women do not wear makeup to make themselves more attractive to men.

mohawk has no possible way of knowing the motivations or the intent of the vast majority of women any more than I or anyone else does. In suggesting that I should just accept their opinion, they're expecting that I should accept something which flies in the face of (no pun intended) my experience. Neither mohawk nor Bojangles could possibly be aware of my experience or the women I know who would contradict their experience, but at the same time I wouldn't expect any woman to come out and say that they wear makeup for anyone else's benefit but their own, same as I wouldn't expect any guy to come out and say they pump iron for anyone else's benefit but their own.

Guys do come out and say it though that they pump iron to attract the ladies, and guys are even encouraged by other people to bulk up to make themselves more attractive, because it's seen as more socially acceptable for a guy to want to improve his chances with the ladies, than it's seen as socially permissible for women to want to improve their chances with guys.

Sure, there are people who like Amy Schumer who will come out with videos like this one - Girl, You Don't Need Makeup, but something like that is but a mere drop in the virtual ocean of social media which dictates what people should aspire to, and that's generally as far away from their natural selves as possible!!

The utterly stupid, lack of any real point "argument" that some toolbags guys will make that "makeup is decepppptiiiive", isn't even worth acknowledging because it could easily be applied to anything, any way in which a person deviates from everything au naturel. I sure as hell didn't wake up this morning wearing the clothes I am now. Am I too part of some great deceptive conspiracy?

Of course not, because an opinion like that would require me to completely disengage my critical faculties. It's a pointless, sneery "argument" that's intended to suggest that the intended target is insecure about themselves in some way. It's not an easy one to counter though because as soon as women suggest that they're prepared to go au naturel when those guys go au naturel, guaranteed there will be some guys won't be able to get their kit off fast enough.

Not me though, nobody should have to endure that particular eyesore :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm sure there's lots you don't know so don't worry bout it.
    I'd put money on it that you're follicly challenged.

Ain't no makeup going to cover those blemishes Toastytoes.

Ain't no makeup going to cover those blemishes Toastytoes.

Luckily for me I have flawless skin.

Who knew so many men would be so threatened by talk of male pattern baldness. And on After Hours of all places.

Personal issues is that way if you'd like to talk about how it makes you feel
    >

Alternatively you can talk to Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

Neither is ok surely.

If a guy slates a woman's make-up though, counter slating of his appearance just drags her down to his level - and if she has a go at his baldness/height, it's even worse because these are things he has no control over.

Just in general, I never understand the "Small penis" jibe either - no evidence that he has a small penis!

I think fair enough to say "You're not exactly a model yourself" when you can see a guy who is rating various women, but any more insulting than that is stooping to his level and giving him ammunition.

I think a lot of the time (not all) when guys say they prefer "natural" they mean minimal make-up - it's not as if the models and actresses et al whom they fancy are not wearing make-up in their various pictures. I agree though that less is more. I wear minimal make-up (but it definitely makes me look better) - I have clear skin though, not all women do. I don't understand when really beautiful women with perfect skin wear make-up however.

I don't agree it's always "for herself" either. It can be to attract the opposite sex (definitely for me it can!) and it's nothing to be ashamed of. It's completely normal and natural.

• Advertisement
Advertisement