Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women and Makeup

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

_Roz_ wrote: »
    Yup, I definitely didn't know it. Might give it a try if I find a product I like the idea of using.

If you're not sure about what to use the beauty forum is a really helpful place if you ever want to ask a question :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I have been using Lidl moisturiser and cleanser recently and my skin is looking very well. I have spent ten times as much on products to see my skin looking crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Makeup is disgusting. Its a mask. Imagine having to wear a halloween mask everyday. Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Stab*City wrote: »
    Makeup is disgusting. Its a mask. Imagine having to wear a halloween mask everyday. Jesus.

Whatever you say Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I very, very rarely wear makeup. I dont' like the way it feels and I dont' like feeling like I can't touch my face. If I wear it I tend to go with a tinted moisturiser rather than a foundation.

These days I swear by Lush's Ocean Salt and their Vanishing Cream, which is my entire daily skincare routine. I get the odd spot, but that's hormones more than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I spent 75 minutes doing my makeup this morning and not one single shít given :D

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

I spent 75 minutes doing my makeup this morning and not one single shít given :D

Was that before work, or on an off day? I can't imagine getting up over an hour earlier to put on makeup, my sleep is too precious! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

_Roz_ wrote: »
    Was that before work, or on an off day? I can't imagine getting up over an hour earlier to put on makeup, my sleep is too precious! :P

Probably during the commute. In the rear view!

Before work. Not in til 9:30 was up before 7.

Still though, 75 minutes more sleep...

What do you do that it takes so long? If you don't mind me asking.

• Advertisement

I get up at 7:30 to be in for 9, so there's the extra hour pretty much! But to be fair, 7 is a very reasonable time to be getting up, so might as well use it.
    kylith wrote: »

I'm curious too. My friend takes the bones of an hour too. She puts on creams first, then foundation, powder, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, blush and lipstick or balm. The shadow and liner take a while due to blending, deciding on a look and making sure the liner wings match.

This has been a second hand summary from someone with no clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I very, very rarely wear makeup. I dont' like the way it feels and I dont' like feeling like I can't touch my face. If I wear it I tend to go with a tinted moisturiser rather than a foundation.

These days I swear by Lush's Ocean Salt and their Vanishing Cream, which is my entire daily skincare routine. I get the odd spot, but that's hormones more than anything.

Just a word of warning on the ocean salt, it has coarse sea salt in it which yes is part of the appeal because it exfoliates and makes the skin feel smooth (along with the alcohol and lime in it- well last time I checked these were it it)
    but its really not great for your skin, it can cause tiny little micro tears and these can actually become a breeding ground for pimples and can just irritate your poor skin. Last time I checked the ingredients in it were all quite drying and could actually end up ruining your moisture barrier which again can cause spots.

I find that lush use "all natural" ingredients but a lot of them aren't actually great for your skin, especially in the combination they use. People tend to assume natural equals better but actually a chemical exfoliant would be a lot more gentle on the skin than an abrasive physical exfoliant especially one as coarse as sea salt.

Not dissing your routine, if it works for you then you do you and enjoy it! Just for your own information more than anything x

Skin routine
    (Cleanse tone moisturise serum moisturise SPF)
    Primer
    Eyes (cut crease with pigment today)
    Foundation
    Contouring/strobing
    Lips
    Lashes

neonsofa wrote: »
    Just a word of warning on the ocean salt, it has coarse sea salt in it which yes is part of the appeal because it exfoliates and makes the skin feel smooth (along with the alcohol and lime in it- well last time I checked these were it it)
    but its really not great for your skin, it can cause tiny little micro tears and these can actually become a breeding ground for pimples and can just irritate your poor skin. Last time I checked the ingredients in it were all quite drying and could actually end up ruining your moisture barrier which again can cause spots.

I find that lush use "all natural" ingredients but a lot of them aren't actually great for your skin, especially in the combination they use. People tend to assume natural equals better but actually a chemical exfoliant would be a lot more gentle on the skin than an abrasive physical exfoliant especially one as coarse as sea salt.

Not dissing your routine, if it works for you then you do you and enjoy it! Just for your own information more than anything x
    Thanks for the info. I follow it up with the Vanishing Cream, so I dont' have any problem with drying, but it definitely does need a moisturiser chaser.

I like the scrubbiness as I find it helps with my milia. Despite having pretty good skin I'm plagued with the things :D

Skin routine
    Primer
    Foundation
    Contouring/strobing
    Lips
    Lashes

Contouring does look pretty time consuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Skin routine
    Primer
    Foundation
    Contouring/strobing
    Lips
    Lashes

Hhmmmm.... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Jesus Lexie!

I got my hair and make up done for my sister's wedding recently and she put on all the things I wouldn't usually use and put my hair into an upstyle and the whole thing took 40 minutes beginning to end and I was losing the will to live. (And ill admit that I did look fabulous and my make up didn't budge) but 75 minutes? I wouldn't have the patience!

(And I'm not putting you down for doing it btw, it's your thing and that's sound, just wouldn't be for me at all at all!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Wow, the only thing I did this morning was check to see that they way my head was resting on the pillow all night hadn't made some of my hair stand up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I love Ocean Salt for breakouts but use it oh so sparingly because it ripped the skin off my face a few times. I can't use it on certain areas at all now :(

• Advertisement

Sea salt and lime....ouch. Sounds much better with tequila than rubbed on skin :D

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Skin routine
    Primer
    Foundation
    Contouring/strobing
    Lips
    Lashes

what are those two?

Fair play on going to that effort. 75mins!

I wiped my face, gave myself a squirt of body shop perfume and brushed my hair. :P

I wouldn't bother with that every day, my skins in good condition so I'd be grand with a bit of mascara if I couldn't be bothered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Up, shower, shave, fix the hair, dressed, and out the door.. total time: 25 minutes

I hate the 5 minutes it takes to shave (seriously, I'd pay money for an "anti-beard" tablet you just take every day instead).. couldn't imagine spending over an hour getting ready!

If I get up at 7:20, I will definitely be showered, hair dried, dressed, dog peed and fed, bag prepped and ready to leave by 8:00. So 40 minutes. (My hair takes the longest because its quite long). I usually get up at 7:30, and nearly miss my bus by leaving at 8:10, because adulting is hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

I was a lot more arsed with makeup in my 20s than I am now. Saw a video of myself three years ago recently and was like "woah, how glam do I look!" but it was so time-consuming that it became a chore and I started to resent it and think "why exactly am I doing this?"

These days I'm a lot less experimental, I pretty much know which products I like and stick to them and the work routine is a quick ten-minute moisturiser-foundation-mascara job. If I'm heading to a social event I'll probably do my eyes up and add some highlighter, bronzer and maybe some lipstick, but I steer clear of bold makeup, bright lips or cat eyes etc as it's too harsh a look for me and I don't like the attention that comes with it.

I love love love a natural makeup look though. A nice light foundation, subtle blush, neutral shadows with some liner and wallops of mascara and nude lips. It's my staple really. I think most people look better with it - I feel like I look like me, with a bit of definition!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Bambi985 wrote: »
    I was a lot more arsed with makeup in my 20s than I am now. Saw a video of myself three years ago recently and was like "woah, how glam do I look!" but it was so time-consuming that it became a chore and I started to resent it and think "why exactly am I doing this?"

These days I'm a lot less experimental, I pretty much know which products I like and stick to them and the work routine is a quick ten-minute moisturiser-foundation-mascara job. If I'm heading to a social event I'll probably do my eyes up and add some highlighter, bronzer and maybe some lipstick, but I steer clear of bold makeup, bright lips or cat eyes etc as it's too harsh a look for me and I don't like the attention that comes with it.

I love love love a natural makeup look though. A nice light foundation, subtle blush, neutral shadows with some liner and wallops of mascara and nude lips. It's my staple really. I think most people look better with it - I feel like I look like me, with a bit of definition!

I have no idea what these things mean.. no wonder I was confused looking for eye liner! :p

Thanks for the info. I follow it up with the Vanishing Cream, so I dont' have any problem with drying, but it definitely does need a moisturiser chaser.

I like the scrubbiness as I find it helps with my milia. Despite having pretty good skin I'm plagued with the things :D

Sometimes the skin won't be dry as such from those products but actually dehydrated and that can actually make the skin very oily (to overcompensate for the dehydration!). I would strongly suggest looking into chemical exfoliation as opposed to scrubs but if it's working for you then long may it continue :) sorry for the unsolicited advice!

Sometimes the skin won't be dry as such from those products but actually dehydrated and that can actually make the skin very oily (to overcompensate for the dehydration!). I would strongly suggest looking into chemical exfoliation as opposed to scrubs but if it's working for you then long may it continue :) sorry for the unsolicited advice!

I think my skin is dehydrated - definitely on my forehead. It is actually driving me mad :mad:

I think my skin is dehydrated - definitely on my forehead. It is actually driving me mad :mad:

Back to basics and sheet masks!! I do the indeed sheet masks a couple times a week and my skin is loving me for it :)

Dehydration needs to be tackled from within to be honest

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    what are those two?

Fair play on going to that effort. 75mins!

I wiped my face, gave myself a squirt of body shop perfume and brushed my hair. :P

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/1b/a3/94/1ba3940d2eeebb997bffc342d59daad9--cut-crease-makeup-glamour-makeup.jpg

Cut crease would be similar to that eye but not as amazing at makeup as her goodself, also not as much eyeliner.
    Strobing is just the use of illuminators to highlight the highest points on the face and baking is just something to sharpen up contouring

I can't stand lips done like yer one's in that picture - I had a friend in primary school with a seriously trashy almost scumbaggy mother (girl was lovely though) and she did her lippy like that, with biker leathers and messy greasy blond hair and I've just associated it with that ever since. Looks like she did lip liner and forgot to fill it in.

I do like the eyes, and I love quite dark liner myself when I'm doing it, but it's just too much overall. Looks like a doll.

She's an amazing makeup artist who worked in Mac for years so I'd say her makeup was perfect for her industry! Love her lips with a strong eye but that's all down to personal preference

Dehydration needs to be tackled from within to be honest

I find that dehydrated skin from using products that destroyed the acid mantle (like scrubs or overexfoliation) is best treated by babying skin going back to gentle basics (no foam ceansers etc.) and using sheet masks to repair it alongside the usual dietary advice, but run of the mill dehydration, and dehydrated skin as a result of such, is definitely best tackled from within yeah.
    No amount of water and healthy diet is going to repair the skins moisture if its consantly being stripped with cleansers and topical products that dry it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Her make up is amazing and really suits her. Not everyone can get away with that look but I think she looks great. It's well applied and you can tell she got skillz.
    Who is it?

Google 'the skin nerd' she has some great advice for helping dehydrated skin.

anna080 wrote: »
    Her make up is amazing and really suits her. Not everyone can get away with that look but I think she looks great. It's well applied and you can tell she got skillz.
    Who is it?
    Laura White, she's recently left Mac and is freelancing out drumcondra direction. She's so talented

I find that dehydrated skin from using products that destroyed the acid mantle (like scrubs or overexfoliation) is best treated by babying skin going back to gentle basics (no foam ceansers etc.) and using sheet masks to repair it alongside the usual dietary advice, but run of the mill dehydration, and dehydrated skin as a result of such, is definitely best tackled from within yeah.
    No amount of water and healthy diet is going to repair the skins moisture if its consantly being stripped with cleansers and topical products that dry it out.
    No but neither is a sheet mask, TBH. It's not going to fix dehydration. If you're talking about trying to repair the acid mantle then you need to get into a good skincare regime which is protecting the skin from damage, from free radicals and UV exposure, from stripped acid mantles. Staying out of artificial heat or air conditioning etc etc is the way to go to baby the skin. Dehydration is one of these things that products do very little to "fix" as it's more preventative and that brings us back to a decent skin routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

While "make-up is disgusting" is an idiotic statement (as if those who say it don't ever fancy women wearing make-up ever) I do think less is more and I do view the wearing of a huge amount as a mask.

What on earth are primer and strobing too? Didn't women look as good before they became a thing? And what are highlighters for? Are they a more expensive concealer?

I don't get blusher either - thought rosie-cheeked was a no-no.

And unless a person has something like eczema, would skin dryness not be addressed by staying out of the sun, a moisturiser with SPF, and an occasional mild exfoliation, with not too frequent use of a gentle cream cleanser?

The eyebrow thing is baffling too - when I was a teen, thin eyebrows were in. The fickleness is crazy. Those drawn-on, thick eyebrows are horrible! And as for those lip plumping things - why do young woman want to look like fish?!

Google 'the skin nerd' she has some great advice for helping dehydrated skin.

Am an avid Skin Nerd follower on the Snapchat!

• Advertisement

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/1b/a3/94/1ba3940d2eeebb997bffc342d59daad9--cut-crease-makeup-glamour-makeup.jpg

Cut crease would be similar to that eye but not as amazing at makeup as her goodself, also not as much eyeliner.
    Strobing is just the use of illuminators to highlight the highest points on the face and baking is just something to sharpen up contouring

It's certainly skilfully applied and there's no doubt its visually striking but I would see that more as art rather than makeup if you know what I mean. I do love seeing extreme makeup art, I'm a 70's/80's child after all!

But I saw a few girls at Slane with contouring and strobing etc done and while I'm sure it looked grand in their selfies and would look amazing in a club or pub, at 1pm in broad daylight it looked out of place (to me!) It made me smile because back in my day we had Panstick which we caked on and it came off twice as fast, and Rimmel Heather Shimmer lippy, which made even the most softest of lips look dry and chapped to fcuk. I used to do this eighties pink/blue/yellow eye-shadow combo that my mates begged me to recreate on them. Hideous it was. But off we'd trot to the club thinking we were sh!t hot with our matching eyes. :D Thank god there were no camera phones or social media back then to haunt us now.

Spider Web wrote: »
    While "make-up is disgusting" is an idiotic statement (as if those who say it don't ever fancy women wearing make-up ever) I do think less is more and I do view the wearing of a huge amount as a mask.

What on earth are primer and strobing too? Didn't women look as good before they became a thing? And what are highlighters for? Are they a more expensive concealer?

I don't get blusher either - thought rosie-cheeked was a no-no.

And unless a person has something like eczema, would skin dryness not be addressed by staying out of the sun, a moisturiser with SPF, an occasional mild exfoliation, with not too frequent use of a gentle cream cleanser?

The eyebrow thing is baffling too - when I was a teen, thin eyebrows were in. The fickleness is crazy. Those drawn-on, thick eyebrows are horrible! And as for those lip plumping things - why do young woman want to look like fish?!

Agreed. I know someone who plumps her lips and looks like Meg Ryan when she pouts. It looks dreadful. Also dislike drawn on eyebrows. I dunno, I think people should focus more on accentuating what they have, not replacing it with something else - i.e. putting on lipstick, not trying to resize your lips.

A primer goes over moisturiser and under foundation to help foundation sit better - basically to even the skin out.

Highlighters I am only half aware of! I use one on my cheekbones. They accentuate different areas of the face to make them stand out, I guess. I think strobing is like an extreme variation of this.

When I was a teen, half the school had a 'Madonna' beauty spot and side pony-tails. Or mullets. A fair few lads had a rats tail, skinny ties, white socks and loafers.

Every generation will look back and cringe. It's the rules :P

No but neither is a sheet mask, TBH. It's not going to fix dehydration. If you're talking about trying to repair the acid mantle then you need to get into a good skincare regime which is protecting the skin from damage, from free radicals and UV exposure, from stripped acid mantles. Staying out of artificial heat or air conditioning etc etc is the way to go to baby the skin. Dehydration is one of these things that products do very little to "fix" as it's more preventative and that brings us back to a decent skin routine.

Hence me not saying use a sheet mask. I said back to basics and sheet masks. Back to basics being the basics of skincare regime -babying the skin. Honestly the best thing for my dehydrated skin has been using the most basic regime- hyaluronic acid and occlusives on top at night, no actives and regular sheet masks until it's repaired. My skincare routine now is still "decent" but it contains actives again now that my mantle is repaired. If it is dehydrated and I continue to use actives etc. it is not going to repair itself- back to basics and it will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I love all these make up looks below. They're natural and fresh but they still have make up on. The high shine on the cheek bones is dewy highlight which I just love. I like to be able to see my skin but still cover all the sh|tty bits lol

https://www.pinterest.ie/explore/natural-dewy-makeup/

^ while it's well done, for me personally I'd just put on some mascara and lipbalm or a nude lip, and not bother with anything else. It's all or nothing with me. Not a fan of the dewy look but if I was I'd prob just pop on a little ofvthe strobe cream along my cheek bones. But I'm an all or nothing kind of person :D

anna080 wrote: »
    I love all these make up looks below. They're natural and fresh but they still have make up on. The high shine on the cheek bones is dewy highlight which I just love. I like to be able to see my skin but still cover all the sh|tty bits lol

https://www.pinterest.ie/explore/natural-dewy-makeup/

Yep, that's the style I think looks great on most people and I would consider it making the most of natural features, rather than covering them up.

• Advertisement

^ while it's well done, for me personally I'd just put on some mascara and lipbalm or a nude lip, and not bother with anything else. It's all or nothing with me. Not a fan of the dewy look but if I was I'd prob just pop on a little ofvthe strobe cream along my cheek bones. But I'm an all or nothing kind of person :D

Your skin is fab though, all porcelain and ****.

Advertisement