Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women and Makeup

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Neyite wrote: »
    When I was a teen, half the school had a 'Madonna' beauty spot and side pony-tails. Or mullets. A fair few lads had a rats tail, skinny ties, white socks and loafers.

Every generation will look back and cringe. It's the rules :P

Exactly! Fashion isn't static, it changes all the time, it's kind of the point and it's nothing new, nor is teenagers going OTT when they're trying stuff out, or celebrities influencing fashion, or the industrial-cosmetics complex :p

I rarely wear make-up myself but I do enjoy it, and like yourself when I see the full contour face I'm more impressed by the skill than attracted to the result but God almighty this whole "make up is stupid and I'm cool because I'm not conned by it" is far more off putting to me personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

When I was a teen, half the school had a 'Madonna' beauty spot and side pony-tails. Or mullets. A fair few lads had a rats tail, skinny ties, white socks and loafers.

Every generation will look back and cringe. It's the rules :P
    That's my point though - what's in fashion can be so stupid, and it's so fickle. Could be the ugliest thing ever (like those caterpillar eyebrows) but if the right person says they're "must have" they're admired. Lots of people see it for the nonsense it is though - it's not "cool" to make this observation.
    Exactly! Fashion isn't static, it changes all the time, it's kind of the point and it's nothing new, nor is teenagers going OTT when they're trying stuff out, or celebrities influencing fashion, or the industrial-cosmetics complex :p

I rarely wear make-up myself but I do enjoy it, and like yourself when I see the full contour face I'm more impressed by the skill than attracted to the result but God almighty this whole "make up is stupid and I'm cool because I'm not conned by it" is far more off putting to me personally.
    Who's saying that? :confused:

I love make-up - think whinging about absolutely all make-up is pretty stupid and ignorant, but I only like minimal make-up and accentuating what's already there (as Roz says) and I think heavy make-up is OTT. There is going to be a variety of views on it. I don't see the point in buying into fads that don't make a difference either, like "primer".

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

Spider Web wrote: »
    That's my point though -what's in fashion can be so stupid, the ugliest thing ever (like those caterpillar eyebrows) but if the right person says they're "must have" they're admired. Lots of people see it for the nonsense it is though - it's not "cool" to make this observation.

This.

It's a commonly espoused attitude that I've encountered frequently IRL and online. I wouldn't take the observation personally. Interesting that ye both picked up on it though, that's what I get for skim reading a thread at work I guess.

It's a commonly espoused attitude that I've encountered frequently IRL and online. I wouldn't take the observation personally. Interesting that ye both picked up on it though, that's what I get for skim reading a thread at work I guess.
    It's interesting that we read a post?

• Advertisement

It's interesting that we read a post?

Sure.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

That's my point though -what's in fashion can be so stupid, the ugliest thing ever (like those caterpillar eyebrows) but if the right person says they're "must have" they're admired. Lots of people see it for the nonsense it is though - it's not "cool" to make this observation.

Who's saying that? :confused:

I love make-up - think whinging about absolutely all make-up is pretty stupid and ignorant, but I only like minimal make-up and accentuating what's already there (as Roz says) and I think heavy make-up is OTT. There is going to be a variety of views on it. I don't see the point in buying into fads that don't make a difference either, like "primer".

Of course fashion is stupid. It's been stupid for centuries. Remember those big flea infested wigs the aristo's all wore during the 17th Century? Or corsets that fcuked up women's internal organs? Or the lead based face paint they wore? Pure stupid and probably that century's botox or whatever. It will continue to be stupid in centuries to come. :P

I'd favour a minimal look too, pretty much what Anna linked to - and that's my Going-Out-Out face. Where we differ is that I'd see that heavy make up as cool-in-an-art-form-but-not-for-me way. You see it as stupid. Just personal tastes really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/1b/a3/94/1ba3940d2eeebb997bffc342d59daad9--cut-crease-makeup-glamour-makeup.jpg

Cut crease would be similar to that eye but not as amazing at makeup as her goodself, also not as much eyeliner.
    Strobing is just the use of illuminators to highlight the highest points on the face and baking is just something to sharpen up contouring

Jeez this wouldn't be for me at all, incredibly heavy makeup by my standards and I'd wonder what it would do to a person's skin in the long-run, even with the best skincare in the world. Your skin still needs oxygen like!

I used to work in media with a bunch of TV personalities who'd be done up like that every day (TV makeup = normal makeup on speed) and without makeup they'd look washed out, pallor and about 20 years older than they were. Maybe it was just the contrast of a bare vs heavily makeuped face but it was a stark thing to see none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

Bambi985 wrote: »
    Jeez this wouldn't be for me at all, incredibly heavy makeup by my standards and I'd wonder what it would do to a person's skin in the long-run, even with the best skincare in the world. Your skin still needs oxygen like!

I used to work in media with a bunch of TV personalities who'd be done up like that every day (TV makeup = normal makeup on speed) and without makeup they'd look washed out, pallor and about 20 years older than they were. Maybe it was just the contrast of a bare vs heavily makeuped face but it was a stark thing to see none the less.

Same, my friend who cakes it on, her skin is terrible under it, and its because her face spends 12 hours a day sealed under all those products. She admits it herself.

I'd favour a minimal look too, pretty much what Anna linked to - and that's my Going-Out-Out face. Where we differ is that I'd see that heavy make up as cool-in-an-art-form-but-not-for-me way. You see it as stupid. Just personal tastes really.
    I never said heavy make-up was stupid at all! Just those drawn-on eyebrows.

I just said my opinion (because that's what this forum is for, to be fair) is that heavy make-up is OTT and kind of is a mask when it makes a person unrecognisable. Not even the people who wear heavy make-up were upset by it. I never said anything about being too cool to get sucked in by it.

Yes I agree some artistic make-up does look very impressive and skilled.

I also acknowledge that I'm lucky enough to have clear smooth skin and would likely wear more foundation if I didn't.

• Advertisement

Bambi985 wrote: »

I remember meeting a good looking newsreader at the height of her fame. The OH said "oh I bet she was even more of a stunner in real life" but it was heavily caked TV make-up she was wearing (presumably because she'd be on TV that day) so I honestly couldn't agree. She was lovely and friendly but I think if I'd met her barefaced I wouldn't have known who she was at all.

I never said heavy make-up was stupid at all! Just those drawn-on eyebrows.

I just said my opinion (because that's what this forum is for, to be fair) is that heavy make-up is OTT and kind of is a mask when it makes a person unrecognisable. Not even the people who wear heavy make-up were upset by it. I never said anything about being too cool to get sucked in by it.

Again, I was skim reading the thread, responding to the post I actually quoted, and adding my own general opinion and observation. About the general world in general and the things I generally experience. Not anyone specifically.

Seeing as you didnt say, apparently don't think, and weren't accused of saying that I don't know why you jumped on the post and assumed it was about you. If I upset or annoyed you I apologise, not my intention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

anna080 wrote: »
    I love all these make up looks below. They're natural and fresh but they still have make up on. The high shine on the cheek bones is dewy highlight which I just love. I like to be able to see my skin but still cover all the sh|tty bits lol

https://www.pinterest.ie/explore/natural-dewy-makeup/
    You have to love the cosmetics industry. They sell us products to stop us looking shiny, then they sell us products to make us look shiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

kylith wrote: »
    You have to love the cosmetics industry. They sell us products to stop us looking shiny, then they sell us products to make us look shiny.

It's all about being shiny in the right places!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭al87987

With makeup, less is more.

I see so many girls looking like they've been shot with Homer Simpson's makeup gun and its so off putting.

Personally I think women get away with far too much of these performance enhancers in the dating world; Makeup, high heels, fake tans, push up bras, hair extensions, fake eyelashes etc...

If you have to work that hard to not look like yourself then it reeks of insecurity.

I ain't perfect by any means but I've never felt the urge to try and deceive people about how I look. Can't understand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

One of the few words of wisdom my mother imparted on me is that make-up should be seen, but not noticed. And I personally think she wasn't far off the mark.
    It usually works best when it's used to subtly draw attention to the wearer's best features, and away from the not-so-good ones. It usually fails when the wearer is attempting to draw an entirely new face on themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The billions of dollars invested in advertising to make women feel crap about themselves sees a handsome return.

Again, I was skim reading the thread, responding to the post I actually quoted, and adding my own general opinion and observation. About the general world in general and the things I generally experience. Not anyone specifically.

Seeing as you didnt say, apparently don't think, and weren't accused of saying that I don't know why you jumped on the post and assumed it was about you. If I upset or annoyed you I apologise, not my intention.
    No I'm the one who should apologise - your post was in reply to Neyite's response to me, so I thought it was making reference to what Neyite was responding to. Thanks a mil for clearing it up!

No I'm the one who should apologise - your post was in reply to Neyite's response to me, so I thought it was making reference to what Neyite was responding to. Thanks a mil for clearing it up!

**** sorry didn't notice that, things make sense now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭alroley

Women can wear make up however they like. I love make up and enjoy trying out different looks. The only person I wear it for is myself, and I like how I look with it :)

• Advertisement

**** sorry didn't notice that.
    No prob!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I would like to apologise too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

OP here my last girlfriend was a model and wore no makeup when we were together as I told her I did not like it. She obviously wore it when modeling.

And my past few girlfriends were the same although not models they were really good looking.

It goes back to my school days and joking with the lads saying she must get a plasterer around to put the makeup on and she must then use a hammer and chisel to get it off.

You sound like my mate's boyfriend. She used to love wearing makeup, it gave her confidence and she looked great. Then, he decided he didn't want her wearing it and now she hardly wears any at all anymore. She looks amazing either way, but makeup was her 'thing'. We all have our things that give us a wee confidence boost, and only an asshole would comment on something like that.

And, by the way, most women who you think aren't wearing any makeup probably are - they're just doing it properly.

It's not your place to tell your GF how she should look. If you don't like her as she is, then leave her to find someone who does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Am I the only one who thinks makeup looks stupid. All it does is make the woman look uglier in my opinion can the women not see it. I was just looking through night club pictures on facebook just now and I said I will come on boards and voice my opinion and see what everyone elses opinion is on the subject.

Bowie wore make-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

al87987 wrote: »
    With makeup, less is more.

I see so many girls looking like they've been shot with Homer Simpson's makeup gun and its so off putting.

Personally I think women get away with far too much of these performance enhancers in the dating world; Makeup, high heels, fake tans, push up bras, hair extensions, fake eyelashes etc...

If you have to work that hard to not look like yourself then it reeks of insecurity.

I ain't perfect by any means but I've never felt the urge to try and deceive people about how I look. Can't understand it.

I agree. Whatever about something to even skin tone or enhance an already pretty feature etc., contouring is practically fraudulent. I imagine many guys who've woken up with a contoured gal from the night before would have a case for misrepresentation :P

Vela wrote: »
    You sound like my mate's boyfriend. She used to love wearing makeup, it gave her confidence and she looked great. Then, he decided he didn't want her wearing it and now she hardly wears any at all anymore. She looks amazing either way, but makeup was her 'thing'. We all have our things that give us a wee confidence boost, and only an asshole would comment on something like that.

And, by the way, most women who you think aren't wearing any makeup probably are - they're just doing it properly.

It's not your place to tell your GF how she should look. If you don't like her as she is, then leave her to find someone who does.

Yup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

*clasps hands together* I'm soooo, soooooo, sorreeeeeee

Anyway I think it's perfectly acceptable for a man to voice an opinion on his girlfriend's makeup as long as it's said respectfully. She doesn't have to act on it. I'd prefer to know what he honestly thinks, as long as it's not critical or about something I couldn't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Vela wrote: »

+1. Never change who you are to fit in with someone else's idea of you.

That's not to say don't compromise, support each other, or work together to achieve things, but I see far too many people who give up things they like doing, or stop seeing friends, all to meet their OH's "expectations"

Feck that. To borrow a line from Charlie Sheen in Two and a Half Men, "I'm a grown man, not a work in progress"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

That's not to say don't compromise, support each other, or work together to achieve things, but I see far too many people who give up things they like doing, or stop seeing friends, all to meet their OH's "expectations"

Feck that. To borrow a line from Charlie Sheen in Two and a Half Men, "I'm a grown man, not a work in progress"

I saw something on Facebook about men being treated like fine wine, how first, like grapes, they have to be ''stomped''. People do do that to their partners, male or female. They think ''I don't like this, this and this but I can work on him and change the things I don't like''. I know people whose wives choose all of their clothing because they're not trusted to make the ''right'' choices. That's somewhat worse than saying ''I honestly think you don't need makeup and I even prefer you without it.''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Horses Sweat, gentlemen Perspire and ladies Glow. It's possible that I'm some sort of accidental throwback to the 1940s, but when my squeeze whispers that she's popping to the rest-rooms to freshen her make-up - which I hadn't noticed, beyond telling her that she looks radiant - I get a most peculiar sort of wobbly. Most peculiar indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

*clasps hands together* I'm soooo, soooooo, sorreeeeeee

Anyway I think it's perfectly acceptable for a man to voice an opinion on his girlfriend's makeup as long as it's said respectfully. She doesn't have to act on it. I'd prefer to know what he honestly thinks, as long as it's not critical or about something I couldn't help.

It's fine, as long as expressing his opinion is all he does. I'm not bothered if he thinks I wear too much, or if he doesn't like it. If he tells me he doesn't like a lipstick colour I would tell him isn't it a good job he's not wearing it in that case.

I have a friend who ALWAYS tells me I look better with no makeup. When I meet him I always make an extra effort with more makeup.

I don't like guys with beards but I don't tell everyone I meet they need a shave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I have a friend who ALWAYS tells me I look better with no makeup. When I meet him I always make an extra effort with more makeup.

What does this prove. How stupid he is for giving a rats how you look or you for being bothered. I don't get it.

It's fine, as long as expressing his opinion is all he does. I'm not bothered if he thinks I wear too much, or if he doesn't like it. If he tells me he doesn't like a lipstick colour I would tell him isn't it a good job he's not wearing it in that case.

I don't like guys with beards but I don't tell everyone I meet they need a shave

I'd be caking myself in the stuff too with someone like that. It's like they think that you are waiting for their superior opinion and will scuttle off to do their bidding. The only person allowed to make a statement like that is a woman's mammy. And even then the only correct response is a good humoured eyeroll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I feel like it's time to introduce Quantasia.

962bcfb2b7d3aac52434ffde90e5f81f661bc1e8346892719b24d0f28b093e7b.jpg

There is a certain type of person who can't wrap their head around the fact that approval from the opposite sex is not everyone's motivating factor behind everything all the time. So it's like if they tell you "you know I think you look better without make-up/men don't like really heavy make-up" that they're doing you a favour and you can go "finally I'm free! Don't need to do this any more!". It's such an odd mix of well intentioned and wreck heading annoying.

Women do it too of course. "You won't get a girlfriend like that!" "I don't want one, fcuk off, you're mad".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Women do it too of course. "You won't get a girlfriend like that!" "I don't want one, fcuk off, you're mad".

"I don't want a girlfriend like that, I like the one I have!" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

This is something I will never understand - all the guys commenting, having some issue or straight down "hating" makeup on women. I know an absolute lot of blokes like that. I've also repeatedly heard comments about disliking dresses, skirts and heels.

I find it frankly baffling; In some cases, I get the feeling some of these dudes actually wish for women to look more masculine.

Sure, a woman can look attractive and feminine without any of these, but I see no harm in some expertly applied make up, a nice dress or showing some leg; Quite the contrary - it makes us different from each other, and difference is usually a potent source of attraction. I've heard plenty of female friends and colleagues, for example, complaining about the fact men are getting more and more on the "cosmetics" train - because in their eyes this is taking away some of the difference. I understand the point perfectly.

Also, makeup is not a "mask" or a woman "hiding", in my view - it's an expression of her personality; The vast majority of them just happen to like it and use it for their own sake.

In the case of a lot of guys, well, we worry that she won't look as pretty once the foundation and eyeshadow come off; It's looking at it the wrong way - if you found her "warpaint" sexy, it's a part of her concept of self-care that attracted you, which is present even when the makeup isn't. Last time I checked, most women don't really worry that a guy won't look as handsome once he's taken off the Armani suit, or when his haircut won't be fresh out of the barber. Just saying.

Then, there is certainly the weird and or ridiculous side of it - huge painted on eyebrows, giant lips, impossibly curly and long fake eyelashes, I too find that off putting - but that again, even that is telling you something about the personality...

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    This is something I will never understand - all the guys commenting, having some issue or straight down "hating" makeup on women. I know an absolute lot of blokes like that. I've also repeatedly heard comments about disliking dresses, skirts and heels.

I find it frankly baffling; In some cases, I get the feeling some of these dudes actually wish for women to look more masculine.

Sure, a woman can look attractive and feminine without any of these,
    Well, not all of us want to look feminine. And some men prefer a woman who is permanently geared for a 10km hike rather than a tea party (I'm over the top here, but you know what I mean) and this is the beauty of humanity; if a man likes women who like dresses and makeup he can find one, or if he like a woman in a pair of hiking boots and combat trousers who wouldn't know a fan brush from a hole in the ground, there's one of those too.
    Also, makeup is not a "mask" or a woman "hiding", in my view - it's an expression of her personality; The vast majority of them just happen to like it and use it for their own sake.

In the case of a lot of guys, well, we worry that she won't look as pretty once the foundation and eyeshadow come off; It's looking at it the wrong way - if you found her "warpaint" sexy, it's a part of her concept of self-care that attracted you, which is present even when the makeup isn't. Last time I checked, most women don't really worry that a guy won't look as handsome once he's taken off the Armani suit, or when his haircut won't be fresh out of the barber. Just saying.

I think the issue for some men is that they see stuff like this done by professional makeup artists and, lets face it, that does not look like the same woman. Even with regular makeup and skills like conturing one can make oneself look very different, so the woman they fancied on a night out turns our actually not to look like that at all. It'd be like a man wearing lifts in his shoes, or a corset to make him look more toned, you'd be a bit miffed if the tall, athletic guy you took home turned out to be 2 inches shorter and a stone heavier.

I also disagree that makeup isn't a mask. It may not be for the majority of people, but one of the reasons I don't like it (beyond the time, expense, weird feeling, and the smell) is that I don't really look like me. OK, I look better than I usually do, but not like me. I've known some women for whom it definitely was a mask, including one who would not leave her bedroom in the morning without her makeup done.

If you're at the stage that your own family never sees you without makeup then I think you have definitely reached the point where you have issues with your appearance that may require talking to someone about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I shall take this opportunity to point out that women who wear dresses aren't by default the same women who are covered in make up ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Well, not all of us want to look feminine. And some men prefer a woman who is permanently geared for a 10km hike rather than a tea party (I'm over the top here, but you know what I mean) and this is the beauty of humanity; if a man likes women who like dresses and makeup he can find one, or if he like a woman in a pair of hiking boots and combat trousers who wouldn't know a fan brush from a hole in the ground, there's one of those too.

What if you wear hiking boots and makeup?!

• Advertisement

I remember reading a comparison of gay and lesbian dating sites and what people said they were looking for in their profiles (physically). Broadly speaking men would specify weight, ethnicity, height, dick size far more often and women would specify things to do with gender presentation, i.e. looking for femmes, soft butch, baby dyke etc. I think that does say something about how we formulate attraction, lesbians would see the fact that someone had a certain way of presenting themselves as equally as important if not more so than their height or skin tone, whereas for men that hard coded, unchangeable physical stuff is what matters most, what makes someone hot or not.

So a woman would be more likely to think "she looks amazing with all that on, what a hottie" and a man "she doesn't look the same without all that on, what a gyp"

This might not carry much weight as it is anecdotal evidence presented from my own subjective viewpoint (perish the though of such a thing on Boards :P) but here it goes.

I wear makeup because it makes me look better and when I look better I feel better. I don't do it for anyone else. Yes I appreciate that looks are not everything, but I also believe that they are not nothing either.

Any time I go to extra effort to ensure my makeup is done well (and by extension, hair too I suppose) I get more attention from guys. It doesn't matter if the setting is a pub/ shop/ park/ office etc.

If I go out without it, and have my hair scraped back into a pony tail or something resembling a nest, I don't get the same (or any) attention.

Yet, there are scores of men proclaiming their hatred and disdain for makeup. Are they talking about the women who resemble oompa loompas and wear fur eyelashes? Do they think that women who don't look like they have makeup on are not wearing any? I am confused about the whole thing.

neonsofa wrote: »
    You can do that too! Just be careful of your false eyelashes, the top of them mountains can be windy :D
    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Any time I go to extra effort to ensure my makeup is done well (and by extension, hair too I suppose) I get more attention from guys. It doesn't matter if the setting is a pub/ shop/ park/ office etc.

If I go out without it, and have my hair scraped back into a pony tail or something resembling a nest, I don't get the same (or any) attention.

Yet, there are scores of men proclaiming their hatred and disdain for makeup. Are they talking about the women who resemble oompa loompas and wear fur eyelashes? Do they think that women who don't look like they have makeup on are not wearing any? I am confused about the whole thing.

I think it's that everyone is so used to seeing women with makeup on that 'natural' makeup is seen as 'no makeup' and actually not wearing makeup is seen as 'deathly ill'.

Personally, I always found that I was guaranteed to pull if I hadn't shaved anything in weeks. Fortunately, I found that if you're willing to get your kit off most guys don't give a hoot about hairy legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Personally, I always found that I was guaranteed to pull if I hadn't shaved anything in weeks. Fortunately, I found that if you're willing to get your kit off most guys don't give a hoot about hairy legs.

Um... not so :p

For myself, I have no issue whatsoever with makeup unless the girl is going for the aforementioned "oompa loompa" look.. though the Goth look wouldn't do much for me either!

I will say though that if a girl I was with wasn't comfortable being seen without her makeup (apparently such people exist) then that would be an issue for me too. I'm very big on confidence and being comfortable together though.

Beyond that, it's her choice really. If she wants to wear makeup for whatever reason (likes to make an effort going out, feels more attractive etc) then no problem whatsoever

You can do that too! Just be careful of your false eyelashes, the top of them mountains can be windy :D

I think it's that everyone is so used to seeing women with makeup on that 'natural' makeup is seen as 'no makeup' and actually not wearing makeup is seen as 'deathly ill'.

This happens me with chipped nail varnish on my toes! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

OldNotWIse wrote: »

You know, it could just very well be that you feel more confident when you are wearing makeup/have your hair done and this is the attraction for guys :)

Um... not so :p
    Well, obviously you aren't most men ;)

neonsofa wrote: »

The universe explodes I think! :P

You know, it could just very well be that you feel more confident when you are wearing makeup/have your hair done and this is the attraction for guys :)

hmmm good point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Sure, a woman can look attractive and feminine without any of these, but I see no harm in some expertly applied make up, a nice dress or showing some leg; Quite the contrary - it makes us different from each other, and difference is usually a potent source of attraction. I've heard plenty of female friends and colleagues, for example, complaining about the fact men are getting more and more on the "cosmetics" train - because in their eyes this is taking away some of the difference. I understand the point perfectly.

Then, there is certainly the weird and or ridiculous side of it - huge painted on eyebrows, giant lips, impossibly curly and long fake eyelashes, I too find that off putting - but that again, even that is telling you something about the personality...

Theres just no comparison there! Theres nothing men have that comes even close to make up in terms of being able to increase sexual attractiveness. And Ive actually heard women say they'd find it very unattractive if a man were to use items that did increase attraction such as shoe lifts or wig.
    So no, men faking attractive traits isn't accepted by society,male or female, while women doing it is fine. Its a stupid double standard that very much exists

• Advertisement
Advertisement