Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women and Makeup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

wakka12 wrote: »
    Theres just no comparison there! Theres nothing men have that comes even close to make up in terms of being able to increase sexual attractiveness. And Ive actually heard women say they'd find it very unattractive if a man were to use items that did increase attraction such as shoe lifts or wig.
    So no, men faking attractive traits isn't accepted by society,male or female, while women doing it is fine. Its a stupid double standard that very much exists

Beards. A beard can make a huge difference to a guy's appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

kylith wrote: »
    Well, obviously you aren't most men ;)

Thanks.... I think? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Theres just no comparison there! Theres nothing men have that comes even close to make up in terms of being able to increase sexual attractiveness. And Ive actually heard women say they'd find it very unattractive if a man were to use items that did increase attraction such as shoe lifts or wig.
    So no, men faking attractive traits isn't accepted by society,male or female, while women doing it is fine. Its a stupid double standard that very much exists

two words Khal Drogo! wears WAY more eyeliner than me and would certainly get it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Toastytoes wrote: »

Unless they're stick on beards then it's not quite the same thing :D

Unless they're stick on beards then it's not quite the same thing :D

Well a guy could just go and shave it off. You don't really know what he looks like underneath it and you may not like what you see.

Well a guy could just go and shave it off. You don't really know what he looks like underneath it and you may not like what you see.

Yeh I know how beards work :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Beards are natural, we were discussing faking physical attractiveness. And they make a 'difference' yes, but no evidence that it makes men very much more attractive on average..otherwise they'd be as popular as makeup is among women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Beards would be on a par with a girl having really long hair and then cutting it into a pixie.
    They're not really on the same level as artificially enhancing your features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

anna080 wrote: »
    Beards would be on a par with a girl having really long hair and then cutting it into a pixie.

As a general rule, I find most girls look better with long hair. Short hair requires a more overall "look" to carry it off.

I've left the shaving go a few days when I'm off and get pretty heavy growth, but I don't think a beard would work for me at all. If anything I'd prefer not to have to shave .. such a time-consuming (5 minutes, but still!) chore!

But "natural" always wins over add-ons IMO.

• Advertisement

Not really, unless her hair is normally covering her face. A girl cutting her hair is the same as a guy cutting his hair. I don't see how it's on a par with him having or not having a beard.

Not really, unless her hair is normally covering her face. A girl cutting her hair is the same as a guy cutting his hair. I don't see how it's on a par with him having or not having a beard.

Because guys naturally grow hair there? It's not enhancing their appearance by artificial means by letting it grow. Women don't naturally have glued lashes on like.

Because guys naturally grow hair there? It's not enhancing their appearance by artificial means by letting it grow. Women don't naturally have glued lashes on like.

I often get asked "are they your own lashes"

Yes. Yes they are. I paid for them therefore they are mine. :D

Beards are natural, we were discussing faking physical attractiveness. And they make a 'difference' yes, but no evidence that it makes men very much more attractive on average..otherwise they'd be as popular as makeup is among women

sorry but having a beard is faking physical attractiveness if you look less attractive without having a layer of hair disguising more than half your face.

And many many men look vastly more attractive with beards.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As a general rule, I find most girls look better with long hair. Short hair requires a more overall "look" to carry it off.

I've left the shaving go a few days when I'm off and get pretty heavy growth, but I don't think a beard would work for me at all. If anything I'd prefer not to have to shave .. such a time-consuming (5 minutes, but still!) chore!

But "natural" always wins over add-ons IMO.

My boyfriend looks delicious with a beard, but he feels unkept. I went through a phase of wanting a pixie cut. It can look amazing on some women, like Mia Farrow. Katie Perry though, not so much!

I don't know what kind of lashes you use, but generally speaking fake lashes don't cover half your face.

• Advertisement

sorry but having a beard is faking physical attractiveness if you look less attractive without having a layer of hair disguising more than half your face.

And many, many women look better with longer hair- but I wouldn't ever say they're "faking physical attractiveness" by letting it grow long

Beards grow naturally, if anything shaving is 'faking'. I cant believe you are comparing growing beards to women being able to redraw their bone structure on or change the apparent size of their eyes with makeup :pac:

And thats your opinion, as I said, if beards made the majority of men look more attractive then every guy would have a beard but they dont

And many, many women look better with longer hair- but I wouldn't ever say they're "faking physical attractiveness" by letting it grow long

Again, long hair or short hair isn't really comparable to make up unless it's covering your face. Which goes back to my point about beards.

Again, long hair or short hair isn't really comparable to make up unless it's covering your face. Which goes back to my point about beards.

Sorry but I just feel like you're desperately clutching at straws to try and force a point.

Beards grow naturally, if anything shaving is 'faking'. I cant believe you are comparing growing beards to women being able to redraw their bone structure on or change the apparent size of their eyes with makeup :pac:

And thats your opinion, as I said, if beards made the majority of men look more attractive then every guy would have a beard but they dont

Yes that is my opinion, we're all only all giving opinions here, unless I'm missing something :confused:

Attractiveness is subjective.

I'm starting to think make up is magical and onlookers lose the use of their senses when someone is wearing it - change the apparent size of their eyes? For the love of God!

• Advertisement

Sorry but I just feel like you're desperately clutching at straws to try and force a point.

Sorry Anna but how is a hair on ones head comparable to wearing make up, which is what the thread is about? Hair on head doesn't disguise ones face while a beard may, as makeup can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

What would say to a bit of ol face stuble there toasty toes.

Yes that is my opinion, we're all only all giving opinions here, unless I'm missing something :confused:

Attractiveness is subjective.

I'm starting to think make up is magical and onlookers lose the use of their senses when someone is wearing it - change the apparent size of their eyes? For the love of God!

You're the one who seems to think covering your jaw with some scraggly hair turns you into george clooney?https://i.pinimg.com/736x/54/43/e8/5443e85c55a4c85fe5f8040a332b863c.jpg
    And yes makeup can do absolute wonders for many women. Have you never watched a makeup transformation video before? Why do you think articles about your favourite celebrities without makeup on are so popular? Its because makeup can be transformative.
    Honestly I dont know why you're trying to compare beards to makeup, theyre just so not the same thing

Sorry Anna but how is a hair on ones head comparable to wearing make up, which is what the thread is about? Hair on head doesn't disguise ones face while a beard may, as makeup can.

I have literally met women who I didnt recognise when I first saw them without makeup on. Who are you trying to kid here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I have literally met women who I didnt recognise when I first saw them without makeup on. Who are you trying to kid here?

I dont' think one can compare beards to makeup, but beards can definitely compensate for physical flaws like a weak chin, or jowelyness. It's not just possible, but likely that I wouldn't recognise a friend if they grew/shaved a beard.

What would say to a bit of ol face stuble there toasty toes.

Personally I'm partial to it, unless it's v scratchy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Just for the sake of argument, let's say that every woman really can totally transform her appearance with make-up in a way that a man can't. What exactly is the problem and how would you like it corrected?

Should women not be allowed to wear make-up?
    Should they be required to display a laminated picture of themselves without makeup so that no man is fooled by their cosmetic deceit?
    Should men be allowed to wear just as much make-up and NO-ONE is allowed to laugh at them, not even their mates?

Or is this some kind of really really odd consciousness-raising exercise to alert people who are not aware that make-up exists?

You're the one who seems to think covering your jaw with some scraggly hair turns you into george clooney?https://i.pinimg.com/736x/54/43/e8/5443e85c55a4c85fe5f8040a332b863c.jpg
    And yes makeup can do absolute wonders for many women. Have you never watched a makeup transformation video before? Why do you think articles about your favourite celebrities without makeup on are so popular? Its because makeup can be transformative.
    Honestly I dont know why you're trying to compare beards to makeup, theyre just so not the same thing

Yes I think facial hair can make men look more attractive. Is there a question in there?

B0jangles wrote: »
    Just for the sake of argument, let's say that every woman really can totally transform her appearance with make-up in a way that a man can't. What exactly is the problem and how would you like it corrected?

Should women not be allowed to wear make-up?
    Should they be required to display a laminated picture of themselves without makeup so that no man is fooled by their cosmetic deceit?
    Should men be allowed to wear just as much make-up and NO-ONE is allowed to laugh at them, not even their mates?

Or is this some kind of really really odd consciousness-raising exercise to alert people who are not aware that make-up exists?

Well there is no correction for it, men are far more unaccepting of men ever wearing makeup than women are, but its just annoying that anyone would try to argue that women dont have that big advanatage in life to be able to improve their natural looks with makeup. I have absolutely no problem with women wearing makeup, I think makeup is really cool and Im a bit sad that men cannot also use it. Thats it

And yeh men should be able to wear it, but that wont happen for a long time. Obviously Id hope for gender double standards like this to not exist,would you not? but they do. Very often through the fault of both genders.
    On a day I'm feeling **** Id love to be able to walk into my bedroom and walk out 30 mins later looking way more handsome. Its something that beards and weight lifting wont ever come close to for men !

Well there is no correction for it, men are far more unaccepting of men ever wearing makeup than women are, but its just annoying that anyone would try to argue that women dont have that big advanatage in life to be able to improve their natural looks with makeup. I have absolutely no problem with women wearing makeup, I think makeup is really cool and Im a bit sad that men cannot also use it. Thats it

On a day I'm feeling **** Id love to be able to walk into my bedroom and walk out 30 mins later looking way more handsome. Its something that beards and weight lifting wont ever come close to for men !

Try growing a beard and test my theory. It may even make you more attractive.

There's also a double standard in that it's completely unacceptable in society for women to have beards, even tho they are completely natural.

• Advertisement

There's also a double standard in that it's completely unacceptable in society for women to have beards, even tho they are completely natural.

Oh man this is getting ridiculous, pretty sure most women pluck their chins and jawlines and upper lip so they dont even have any fine baby hairs. please stop:pac:

There's also the added fact that we- you know- can't grow them.

There's also the added fact that we- you know- can't grow them.

Plenty women would have facial hair Anna if they stoped removing it. I'm pretty sure you know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

And yeh men should be able to wear it, but that wont happen for a long time. Obviously Id hope for gender double standards like this to not exist,would you not? but they do. Very often through the fault of both genders.

If we're going down the path of things that are unfair but what can you do about it, think about the various polls which have shown that the majority of women tend to be attracted to men around who are around the same age as them throughout their lives, whereas the majority of men are primarily attracted to 22 year old girls no matter how old they get.

Maybe women over 25 have to wear make-up just to get men their own age to even talk to them!

:p

Plenty women would have facial hair Anna if they stoped removing it. I'm pretty sure you know that.

Facial hair yea- a full on beard? Unless you have a medical condition which causes excess hair growth, no.

Oh man this is getting ridiculous, pretty sure most women pluck their chins and jawlines and upper lip so they dont even have any fine baby hairs. please stop:pac:

Because facial hair on women is not deemed acceptable.

Because facial hair on women is not deemed acceptable.

Its not like any women want a beard so what is the point here.And I hear more women complaining about the baby hairs on their chin than I do men complaining about female facial hair. Makeup is something that could improve men's looks but they cannot use it due to social repercussions from both men and women, not the same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Men can't wear makeup and be considered attractive to most straight women because social norms.
    Women can't allow their facial/body hair to grow with reckless abandon and be considered attractive to most straight men because social norms. Blah blah blah.

I wouldn't say makeup gives women some ridiculous advantage in the attraction stakes, as yeah we can pile it on with a trowel but for the most part we'll generally be overlooked for the 20 year old in the room, just as men will be overlooked for the gym-honed adonis or the multi-millionaire etc etc.

How many men can say they woke up the next morning next to some troll they had zero attraction to that looked like Jessica Alba the night before because of her heavy makeup? I've never heard any guy claim this as a reality outside of boards, yet it's a weird line that gets trotted out all the time on these threads. Without Kim Kardashian's makeup artist to hand you're not going to go from beauty to beast just like that, though your cheekbones might look a bit higher or your eyes a bit bigger or you'll go from "normal girl" to "glamorous girl". IME most men will look at me with my "glamourous girl" head on just like magpies are attracted to shiny things, but equally I'll look at yer man in the tailored suit over the guy in tracksuit bottoms or the fit as opposed to the fat guy. Such is life. Attraction is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It's fine, as long as expressing his opinion is all he does. I'm not bothered if he thinks I wear too much, or if he doesn't like it. If he tells me he doesn't like a lipstick colour I would tell him isn't it a good job he's not wearing it in that case.

I have a friend who ALWAYS tells me I look better with no makeup. When I meet him I always make an extra effort with more makeup.

I don't like guys with beards but I don't tell everyone I meet they need a shave

If I thought someone looked amazing for the first time I'd seen them without a beard I'd tell them, as a compliment, as in ''I've never seen you without a beard, you look really well.''. The difference is subtle It's not like saying'' you look better without that muck'', and it can be a compliment in itself just to say you're naturally goodlooking. Why bother anyway, if it doesn't matter what your friend thinks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I wouldn't have him thinking I didn't put on makeup just to please him. We were at a bar a few summers ago and I had this mad bright pink lipstick on and some random girl asked me if I worked with Mac. He rolled his eyes so hard. She appreciated a good strong lip with blue undertones and he had no idea why anyone would want to wear pink lipstick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

:D They are not natural to women!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

No beards though. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

kylith wrote: »
    I think the issue for some men is that they see stuff like this done by professional makeup artists and, lets face it, that does not look like the same woman.

I see what you mean, but it needs to be said that it's an extreme comparison - that lady is quite pretty to begin with, but the "no makeup" picture is as bad a photo as it gets - the lighting is atrocious and "full frontal", washing out her face contour, the background makes her look paler and flat - and her expression is in the "my dog just died" spectrum; The makeup picture is a full-blown professional studio shot.

It's the same concept as those "before and after" pictures that advertise a diet or exercise program, where they make sure the "before" picture has the guy/girl looking as miserable as possible.

In "real life", I've personally never met one single woman who you would "not recognize" once she put make up on (or removed it :P); It would simply make some characteristics more noticeable and others less so.

The "Bro, I pulled a hot bird last night, but then come 8am she had turned into Danny DeVito" stories in my experience are just that - stories, usually confined to the realms of "bro" movies.
    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Yet, there are scores of men proclaiming their hatred and disdain for makeup. Are they talking about the women who resemble oompa loompas and wear fur eyelashes? Do they think that women who don't look like they have makeup on are not wearing any? I am confused about the whole thing.

I think you are on the money here; Often these guys equal "she's not orange with weird shapes drawn on her forehead = no makeup!".
    Bambi985 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say makeup gives women some ridiculous advantage in the attraction stakes, as yeah we can pile it on with a trowel but for the most part we'll generally be overlooked for the 20 year old in the room, just as men will be overlooked for the gym-honed adonis or the multi-millionaire etc etc.

How many men can say they woke up the next morning next to some troll they had zero attraction to that looked like Jessica Alba the night before because of her heavy makeup? I've never heard any guy claim this as a reality outside of boards, yet it's a weird line that gets trotted out all the time on these threads. Without Kim Kardashian's makeup artist to hand you're not going to go from beauty to beast just like that, though your cheekbones might look a bit higher or your eyes a bit bigger or you'll go from "normal girl" to "glamorous girl". IME most men will look at me with my "glamourous girl" head on just like magpies are attracted to shiny things, but equally I'll look at yer man in the tailored suit over the guy in tracksuit bottoms or the fit as opposed to the fat guy. Such is life. Attraction is what it is.

Standing ovation for sincerity and going straight to the point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Its not like any women want a beard so what is the point here.And I hear more women complaining about the baby hairs on their chin than I do men complaining about female facial hair. Makeup is something that could improve men's looks but they cannot use it due to social repercussions from both men and women, not the same thing

If a man wants to wear Makeup he should wear it. Why let society judge the type of person you should be. Be your own person the person you want to be a feck what society thinks or says. Most people these days are far to busy going about there own busy lives to even notice and the one that say something nasty or bad are the ones that have the problem not the man that likes wearing Makeup or the Women tat likes to be a Tomboy.
    Bambi985 wrote: »
    Men can't wear makeup and be considered attractive to most straight women because social norms.
    Women can't allow their facial/body hair to grow with reckless abandon and be considered attractive to most straight men because social norms. Blah blah blah.

Feck social norms. Why let society dictate how we should live as long as you are not harming anyone else or doing anything illegal or bad then live your life as you want to how you want to and wear what one wants to wear. If a man wants to wear Makeup he should wear it.If a Women wants to let her hair on her face grow or anywhere else then she should do it its not doing anyone else any harm or herself either. Personally myself the only place I like hair is on the top of my head all the rest is horrible. Why let society judge the type of person you/we should be. Be your own person the person you want to be a feck what society thinks or says. Most people these days are far to busy going about there own busy lives to even notice and the one that say something nasty or bad are the ones that have the problem not the man that likes wearing Makeup or the Women tat likes to be a Tomboy.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I wear makeup because it makes me look better and when I look better I feel better. I don't do it for anyone else. Yes I appreciate that looks are not everything, but I also believe that they are not nothing either.

Any time I go to extra effort to ensure my makeup is done well (and by extension, hair too I suppose) I get more attention from guys. It doesn't matter if the setting is a pub/ shop/ park/ office etc.

If I go out without it, and have my hair scraped back into a pony tail or something resembling a nest, I don't get the same (or any) attention.

Yet, there are scores of men proclaiming their hatred and disdain for makeup. Are they talking about the women who resemble oompa loompas and wear fur eyelashes? Do they think that women who don't look like they have makeup on are not wearing any? I am confused about the whole thing.
    I wear a little eye make-up and sometimes BB cream because it makes me look better to others, so I do wear it for others - I have no problem admitting it. But it's for myself too, because approval from others is a confidence boost. It's a combination of both. And like you, I get less interest when not wearing it - and that is perfectly fine. But it renders the whole "I hate make-up on women" thing questionable.

You asked if men who hate make-up think make-up means the oompa loompa look only. I thought that too, but I've been in discussions where the insistence is: nope, any make-up at all is awful.

Yet how come, then, we ladies usually tend to get more interest from men when wearing make-up than when not? :)

Do men who say they hate make-up not fancy any actress or model so? Because they are *always* wearing make-up in their photos.

And sure, I fully understand men only fancying women who wear just a tiny bit of make-up, but it's still some.

Men fancying women only without any make-up at all is not an impossibility by the way, but experience indicates to me this is a case by case thing.

I think the make-up thing is like the fake tan thing (I don't wear fake tan at all) - "Fake tan is always disgusting - no matter what". Not when you don't realise she's wearing it. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Am I the only one who thinks makeup looks stupid. All it does is make the woman look uglier in my opinion can the women not see it. I was just looking through night club pictures on facebook just now and I said I will come on boards and voice my opinion and see what everyone elses opinion is on the subject.

I haven't read the other posts. tl;dr

The one thing I have personally noticed is that there is no middle ground in women's makeup here or in the UK.

It's either far too much ala TOWIE style or none at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

The one thing I have personally noticed is that there is no middle ground in women's makeup here or in the UK.

Nope, wrong. Plenty of women fall within the middle ground, myself included. I wear foundation but you can still see my freckles when I have it on, by way of example.

I'd say I fall in the middle ground. I'm not too bothered about my eyebrows so I don't really do much with them bar run a spoolie through them. I wear foundation, bronzer, highlighter and neutral eye make up. I've never had anyone tell me I go overboard and my boyfriend thinks I look lovely either way. Plenty of people assume the middle ground when it comes to make up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Ban make up and high heels. Level the playing field over night.

Below average looking dumpy women going round disguised as tall babes is one of the most destructive things about society.

Ban perfume and lady shaves and they'd mostly be all hairy and smelly too.

Time we put an end to this mass deception before it's too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Most people assume middle ground, in my opinion

• Advertisement
Advertisement