Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women and Makeup

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Some women are artists and some women can't draw anything better than a stick figure, that's how I tend to look at the whole thing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I haven't read the other posts. tl;dr

The one thing I have personally noticed is that there is no middle ground in women's makeup here or in the UK.

It's either far too much ala TOWIE style or none at all.
    I would wager that most of the women you think aren't wearing makeup are actually wearing makeup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

kylith wrote: »
    I would wager that most of the women you think aren't wearing makeup are actually wearing makeup.

Yeah this. I remember getting dolled up to go out for Sunday lunch with my ex, I probably spent about an hour in the bathroom between hair and makeup, and he later tells me "you look gorgeous and you're not even wearing makeup".

"Eh, what do you think I was doing in the bathroom for over an hour??"

Fellas IME are generally clueless. They don't see big vampy lipstick or orange faces or smokey eyes with big thick fake lashes and assume you're some sort of a natural beaut who rolls out of bed that way!

The majority of women I see out and about on the tube, at work etc probably have this amount of makeup on - same as myself, I'd rarely move beyond light-medium coverage, but it certainly is no-where NEAR "no makeup" and can be upwards of ten products sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ban make up and high heels. Level the playing field over night.

Below average looking dumpy women going round disguised as tall babes is one of the most destructive things about society.

Ban perfume and lady shaves and they'd mostly be all hairy and smelly too.

Time we put an end to this mass deception before it's too late.

Never going to happen there is whole industry's based on them and thousands maybe millions of people employed by them both directly and indirectly too besides I like my Make up and heels. If a man wants to wear make up he should wear it the same with heels or any other clothing.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

I haven't read the other posts. tl;dr
    Probably better off doing so, otherwise there is the risk you'll say something clueless.
    The one thing I have personally noticed is that there is no middle ground in women's makeup here or in the UK.

It's either far too much ala TOWIE style or none at all.
    And there you have it. Utterly incorrect. Not sure if serious. I don't think you honestly see women's faces as just one extreme or the other at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Spider Web wrote: »
    I wear a little eye make-up and sometimes BB cream because it makes me look better to others, so I do wear it for others - I have no problem admitting it. But it's for myself too, because approval from others is a confidence boost. It's a combination of both. And like you, I get less interest when not wearing it - and that is perfectly fine. But it renders the whole "I hate make-up on women" thing questionable.

You asked if men who hate make-up think make-up means the oompa loompa look only. I thought that too, but I've been in discussions where the insistence is: nope, any make-up at all is awful.

Yet how come, then, we ladies usually tend to get more interest from men when wearing make-up than when not? :)

Do men who say they hate make-up not fancy any actress or model so? Because they are *always* wearing make-up in their photos.

And sure, I fully understand men only fancying women who wear just a tiny bit of make-up, but it's still some.

Men fancying women only without any make-up at all is not an impossibility by the way, but experience indicates to me this is a case by case thing.

I think the make-up thing is like the fake tan thing (I don't wear fake tan at all) - "Fake tan is always disgusting - no matter what". Not when you don't realise she's wearing it. ;)

I've worn fake tan once in my life. I'm actually too pale to be able to carry it off. I can see how it looks great on other women but even the lightest looks fake on me. So, I opt to embrace my natural tone and I go for porcelain look instead. It's about what works for you I guess. Someone (a woman) told me at a Christmas party before that I looked great except I should have a bit of tan on. The cheek :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I got my make up done for a wedding over the weekend. Same person I got a few weeks ago. I'm not sure what happened in between but the first time I was natural enough with a lovely smokey eye. This time I felt completely caked. I always assured by people who would have no problem telling me the truth, that it didn't look like I had too much on and I look like the same person in the pictures as I do in real life, but it felt so so heavy. I'm not sure how anyone could enjoy wearing that much make up. I know it literally is getting your face painted but that's how I felt, like I was wearing a mask.

I could not wait to take it off.

I wouldn't it done again now after that. It felt awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

That's a shame :( there's nothing worse than feeling uncomfortable with your makeup. maybe they used a different foundation. I know I can't bear the double wear foundation feeling on my face and I'm no stranger to heavy makeup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I got my make up done for a wedding over the weekend. Same person I got a few weeks ago. I'm not sure what happened in between but the first time I was natural enough with a lovely smokey eye. This time I felt completely caked. I always assured by people who would have no problem telling me the truth, that it didn't look like I had too much on and I look like the same person in the pictures as I do in real life, but it felt so so heavy. I'm not sure how anyone could enjoy wearing that much make up. I know it literally is getting your face painted but that's how I felt, like I was wearing a mask.

I could not wait to take it off.

I wouldn't it done again now after that. It felt awful.

I love the idea of getting makeup professionally done but this is what puts me off, the risk of them doing it wrong! When I do my make up I am so particular about it- the tools I use, the technique,the shade, the placement- and I know they're professionals at makeup and they know what they're doing, but I'm a pro at my own face, I've owned it for like 30 years, I know where make up will go flaky if i don't use a light hand or where I get redness throughout the day etc. I just can't trust other people to do my makeup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

I'd say a lot of it is about the makeup artist and their style too. I'd be googling the hell out of someone to see a load of examples of their previous work before booking them and wouldn't go near someone who was too fond of the heavy foundation/contour look. I see some amount of professional makeup artists on Instagram whose work looks like drag queen makeup to me - obviously it's more about my own sensibilities as it seems to be a popular look, but no way would I be letting someone like that loose on my face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Bambi985 wrote: »
    I'd say a lot of it is about the makeup artist and their style too. I'd be googling the hell out of someone to see a load of examples of their previous work before booking them and wouldn't go near someone who was too fond of the heavy foundation/contour look. I see some amount of professional makeup artists on Instagram whose work looks like drag queen makeup to me - obviously it's more about my own sensibilities as it seems to be a popular look, but no way would I be letting someone like that loose on my face.

There is for sure a niche in the market in Ireland for a MUA who does naturally glowy make up. More often than not I do my own make up going to weddings because I just don't trust some of them. Inglot do some lovely products but the results of some of their makeovers are actually frightening, imo.

anna080 wrote: »
    There is for sure a niche in the market in Ireland for a MUA who does naturally glowy make up. More often than not I do my own make up going to weddings because I just don't trust some of them. Inglot do some lovely products but the results of some of their makeovers are actually frightening, imo.

Its the one size fits all approach that I hate. It's similar in my local mac. Heavy contour,heavy highlight, cut crease, Instagram eyebrows.. they absolutely have talent but makeup isn't one size fits all and that style doesn't suit everybody so it ends up looking ridiculous despite the talent involved in creating the look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

neonsofa wrote: »
    Its the one size fits all approach that I hate. It's similar in my local mac. Heavy contour,heavy highlight, cut crease, Instagram eyebrows.. they absolutely have talent but makeup isn't one size fits all and that style doesn't suit everybody so it ends up looking ridiculous despite the talent involved in creating the look.

Yeh I agree, dont know very much about makeup but one example of that which I think looks ridiculous is the really heavy thick eyebrows on blonde or ginger girls or pale girls in general, makes them look scary! and i dont think they suit a lot of girls with more babyish/soft features

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yeh I agree, dont know very much about makeup but one example of that which I think looks ridiculous is the really heavy thick eyebrows on blonde or ginger girls or pale girls in general, makes them look scary! and i dont think they suit a lot of girls with more babyish/soft features

Exactly,and thing is the eyebrows can be done absolutely amazingly,but if they don't suit the person's face like you say it just looks awful.

That heavy stencilled look that came with HD actually ruined the HD brand credibility. If you have naturally full brows the 7 steps of HD shaping generally looks unreal but is completely ruined by the heavy drawn on/makeup finish. With fair/ginger clients I can't believe the amount of places who'll load on an ash brown tint with no regard for tones/complexion. Then you've girls at home with too much wax and a heavy hand and the brows end up looking like they've been gangbanged by sharpie

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Is this an actual thing now?
    I've seen it pop up as meme's a few times, but is it legit?

Screen-Shot-2017-08-31-at-9.19.40-AM-480x480-c-top.png

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I've worn fake tan once in my life. I'm actually too pale to be able to carry it off. I can see how it looks great on other women but even the lightest looks fake on me. So, I opt to embrace my natural tone and I go for porcelain look instead. It's about what works for you I guess. Someone (a woman) told me at a Christmas party before that I looked great except I should have a bit of tan on. The cheek :rolleyes:

Id say your skin is beautiful. I love that un - sunned look. There is an etherealness about it.

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Nah, it's probably a "makeup look" but it's not a trend

ah jaysus, this needs to stop :) I saw a picture of a plaited one , the other day ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 152 ✭✭Karangue

I see nothing wrong with old Shielas with war paint to knock a few years aging off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I'd love if there was a quick fix to looking washed out today. I can't make myself trowel makeup on though. I look gaunt. There is nothing like seeing your health/mental state in your face, so depressing if either are weak at that moment.

Eyebrows to me are just things to be tidied every couple of months. Actually got them waxed the other day and said that to my beautician. I got a very violent wax-off in response. :pac:
    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Yeah I've worn fake tan once - just looked like dirt. :pac:

I'm happy to rock the milk white look - it suits me. Although my legs are a bit too blinding white so they get the long skirt/pants treatment in the summer, and dark tights in the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

That's a shame :( there's nothing worse than feeling uncomfortable with your makeup. maybe they used a different foundation. I know I can't bear the double wear foundation feeling on my face and I'm no stranger to heavy makeup

She used the same foundation. In fact I went and bought it after she did it the first time because I liked it so much.
    Bambi985 wrote: »

This woman is years in the industry, she is fantastic. She is not a young wan who did a two hour lesson at her nearest Mac counter. She is highly and professionally trained and around long before people knew what MUA stood for. However she was showing me photos of a guy she knows who sells himself as an MUA. €10 for make up. €15 for lashes. I've never ever seen anything so horrific. I find it hard to believe anyone would actually pay him but obviously people do!!

Like I said I'm not sure what happened, and apparently I looked good but I felt ick. I felt like I had way too much on. She put eyeliner and lipstick on too which I wouldn't be used to.

I suppose for people who like make up then it would be ideal but I don't wear that much and so it just felt unnatural to me (I know it is unnatural!). The only reason I got it done this time was because I loved it for my sister's wedding but I will just stick to doing it myself again now. I go to an awful amount of weddings so it doesn't make sense to get it done every time anyway but it was a nice idea at the time. She did my hair as well and that was amazing.

I call bull****. This is obviously photoshopped (look at her other eyebrow) and any other photos of this have been the same. Eyebrow hair don't bend like that.

I call bull****. This is obviously photoshopped (look at her other eyebrow) and any other photos of this have been the same. Eyebrow hair don't bend like that.
    It's makeup it's not hair

• Advertisement

My friend has completely shaved eyebrows, and tattooed eyelashes that touch where the eyebrows would naturally end. Wavy eyebrows are mild.

It's makeup it's not hair

In the image the hair appears to bend. It's a pretty blatant ripple effect, otherwise she'd have to be plucking her eyebrows much thinner than modern fashion in order to be able to draw that around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I'd say it's photoshop as well cos the other brow is normal. Prob just a piss take.

I'm sure it is/can be done on facetune or photoshop but there's certainly makeup tutorials showing you how to do it, as well as tutorials showing you how to give the illusion of a plaited Brow. I was watching them no later than yesterday!

I'm sure it is/can be done on facetune or photoshop but there's certainly makeup tutorials showing you how to do it, as well as tutorials showing you how to give the illusion of a plaited Brow. I was watching them no later than yesterday!

Ah, jaysus...

I still refuse to believe that people are actually seriously going out in public like that.

• Advertisement

Ah, jaysus...

I still refuse to believe that people are actually seriously going out in public like that.
    I doubt they do, :D imagine :D
    I'd say it's just playing around with a look, getting the illusion right and stuff!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There's too many images and stories popping up for it not to be a thing.
    Whether it takes off is another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Reminds me of old cartoons like Doug or Daria when a character was confused or apprehensive :D

How dey do dat it's mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Christina Aguilera was always someone I thought looked horrendous with make up.

Way cuter without that over made up look.

christina-aguilera-without-makeup-7.jpg

I have seen her in person up close. She was at a well known local tourist attraction near my home. She looked very out of place in the sense of looking like her face was made of plastic. Not ugly but very heavily made up. Much more so than the average woman with lots of makeup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I have seen her in person up close. She was at a well known local tourist attraction near my home. She looked very out of place in the sense of looking like her face was made of plastic. Not ugly but very heavily made up. Much more so than the average woman with lots of makeup.

I met her years ago, and she had makeup somewhere in between the 2 pictures.

I always thought she was a stunning looking woman, and I still do. She is (or at least was) a total diva wagon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Thats looks terrible the eyebrows I mean. She has a nice face do.

At least you hope its not lol.

I sure hope not.

Can't see me wanting to go out with my makeup looking like that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think she looks great with make up.

I think she looks great with make up.
    Yeah I definitely don't agree that she looks horrendous.

That said, she doesn't need that much make-up either though - she has great skin and lips. Bit of eye make-up would be plenty, in my opinion.

Yeah I definitely don't agree that she looks horrendous.

That said, she doesn't need that much make-up either though - she has great skin and lips. Bit of eye make-up would be plenty, in my opinion.

Eye makeup alone with no makeup on the skin looks quite odd from what I've seen

• Advertisement

I admit I like yer wan's wiggly eyebrows
    I've never seen it before

Depends on the skin. I do it all the time.

Depends on the skin. I do it all the time.

if you have good skin it looks good yeh
    If you have blotchy uneven skin that looks noticeably like it doesn't have makeup on it it looks weird with done up eyes:pac:

It's all I wear, apart from lipstick, sometimes. In my opinion, face makeup does nothing for you by itself, it's only a good thing if you're not happy with your skin and want to improve the appearance of that.

Advertisement