Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Eclipse Aug 2017- Eclipse glasses?

Options
  • 21-08-2017 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭

My son just saw that the best point in Ireland to see it is Mizen head, We are staying in the area and want to watch it, do we need eclipse glasses or what do we need and where can it bought? Forgive me if my questions are stupid.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Yes, you do need proper solar eclipse viewers, like these:

http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/Solar-Observing/Solar-Accessories/seymour-solar-eclipse-viewers.html

Don't try to look at the eclipse without them, you risk permanent damage to your eyesight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

How much on an Eclipse will be visible at Mizen head ?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

Only around 5%.

OK so no point really, last year (or 2 years ago) I think I witnessed a 30% one, barely noticeable, just got a little darker ...

Having said that, if you have proper equipment you could get a good photo of it.
    And now im thinking the shadow passes the east coast of the US around 4 PM local time ? Will sun still be up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭The_Outsider

OP I was in a similar position the last time we had a partial eclipse here in Ireland a few years ago. I remember is was a cloudy day, but was still obviously dangerous to look at the sun.

What I did was just look at the reflection of the sun in a window. Happened kind of accidentally, but could see it perfectly clear.

This was standing outside of the house and looking into the house at the reflection of the sun in the window, if you get me.

Can't imagine it being a risk to the eyes. I can still see anyway.

Just my two cents. I can't see how you'd acquire some eclipse glasses at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

The weather is diabolical here at the moment anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

You can make a pinhole projector very easily with a few cheap bits you'll find in your hotel or B&B, or in the newsagent. It's the recommended way to view if you don't have glasses, it's pretty cool to see it in action to.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2017/08/21/no-solar-eclipse-glasses-heres-how-to-make-a-pinhole-projector-instead/#23a7e42e3db8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Kalyke

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

What time is the eclipse can someone tell me please, is it 7:30?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Yes the partial eclipse (5%) will be at 7:40pm lasting 50 mins. This will be best viewed from the west of the country.

Of course like every other major astronomical event the Irish cloud shield will be firmly in place obstructing the view. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,876 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Imagine going to America to watch the total eclipse from Ireland or the UK and being interrupted by kay burley. You'd be sickened.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

WEB_sat_vis_eur.jpg

Cloud cover has a firm grip on Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Imagine going to America to watch the total eclipse from Ireland or the UK and being interrupted by kay burley. You'd be sickened.

Witches always turn out for an eclipse...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

namloc1980 wrote: »
    WEB_sat_vis_eur.jpg

Cloud cover has a firm grip on Ireland.

Unfortunately, nothing new there. If I could count the number of times the clouds rolled in just in time to obscure a major astronomical event in Ireland, it's enough to make this grown man cry �� :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

I took these shots of the partial solar eclipse this evening at 19:44 on the Curragh, Co.Kildare:

36720888245_2d3b24683b_b.jpg

36674524966_9937df443e_b.jpg

Great pics!

Unfortunately clouds and heavy rain here in West Mayo during eclipse time...:(

Wow .. I never thought any of this would be visible in Ireland, nice pics @Hotei !
    I ended up watching the NASA live stream on my TV + a few others on my laptop and PCs ... hehe ... was the best I could do from here!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Great pics Hotei and to hear the partial was spotted from Ireland. I had seen reports online of inclement weather at home so wasn't sure if people would luck out. The Skelligs Star Party ran for an extra day so attendees could see the eclipse from SW Kerry.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I didn't see a thing other than gray clouds. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I didn't see a thing other than gray clouds. :(

Well, at least we saw a "clouds eclipse" ... where the clouds were "obscured" by the Sun's partial perfect sphere... :)
    A joke of the weather,as normal around here ,when most events are to be seen...
    Wondering how the weather knows when is the fcuking weekend !??

425995.JPG

425996.JPG

425998.JPG

• Advertisement
Advertisement