Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EI Chartership Application from Australia

• 21-08-2017 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm considering applying for the chartered engineer title from EI in the next round. Does anybody have any experience of applying from abroad? Obviously I wouldn't be able to attend the interview in Ireland so would it be an option to do this interview via skype or with EI members based in Sydney?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

I dont know the answer to your question, but would you not consider doing your application with engineers Australia? They're mutually recognised.
    Whilst still being in Australia, I think EA chartership would be regarded higher.

I got chartered through IMechE in the UK. No-one in my company knew who they were, and barely recognised it.

I dont know the answer to your question, but would you not consider doing your application with engineers Australia? They're mutually recognised.
    Whilst still being in Australia, I think EA chartership would be regarded higher.

I got chartered through IMechE in the UK. No-one in my company knew who they were, and barely recognised it.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Bobjims

Shy Ted wrote: »

I contacted EA to see if I could do this and they informed me that I would have to be a chartered engineer already from a mutually recognised organisation in order to even join! To be honest I found them very difficult to contact and when I did get them on the phone they were pretty unhelpful.

I forgot how difficult they were to deal with. I thought of transferring before moving over to Australia but even with CEng status, they wanted me to submit my certs etc.. and also have my CV verified by 2 EA members. At the time, I didn't know anyone so I ended up just staying with IMechE. 
    Perhaps you could join an institution like IMechE for your own discipline, and then have your interview in Australia. IMechE have representatives in each state that hold interviews for Mechanical Engineers. Depending on your discipline there are many choices such as ICE, IED, IET, IMarEST or IStructE. They'll most likely have mutual recognition with EA & EI. It'll be your choice in the end if you want to switch over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

Bobjims wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm considering applying for the chartered engineer title from EI in the next round. Does anybody have any experience of applying from abroad? Obviously I wouldn't be able to attend the interview in Ireland so would it be an option to do this interview via skype or with EI members based in Sydney?

Thanks

Yes it is possible to do via Skype. Please PM if you want further info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Why not pursue the Chartership through the IET?
    The Institution of Engineering and Technology offers similar services to EI and EA but is present in 127 countries and the Chartership itself is issued by the Engineering Council UK (so is recognised and transferrable under the Washington accord if need be).

Advertisement