Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberry plants - no runners.

Options
  • 21-08-2017 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I was given 14 strawberry plants earlier in the year by a commercial grower. I grew them on (in pots) in my polytunnel and they produced a fantastic crop of fruit.

As soon as they finished fruiting I moved them outside and gave them a haircut. Of course I was hoping for runners in order to increase my stock but, of course, none have been produced. Not one runner! :rolleyes:

Is there still a chance they might oblige? Or, I'm wondering if, being plants grown for the commercial market, they have been bred not to produce runners :(

The plants are looking healthy enough so I guess I'll just have to re-pot them come spring and hope they fruit for another season...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I had mine growing outside,bought from the local garden centres.
    After they rewarded me with lots of sweet fruits and after my blessings,i was flooded with runners...they took over the mounting kit.
    I think that after initial about 24 plants i have another over 30 roots already growing green in the plastic containers in the GreenHouse.

The secret is to insert the runners in the soil,leave them for a week so and then cut the link with the mother plant and get them in dedicated storage with good soil and warm & light.

Dont think it's the plants itself,you may have cut the the runners at the haircut stage !?

Advertisement