Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Format gone wrong!!!!

Options
  • 21-08-2017 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi

Garmin Edge 500 has been working fine lately.

However I formatted everything by mistake when deleting some activities.

The unit recorded everything fine on my most recent cycle. But all the software that was in the Garmin is now gone. Activities folder is deleted etc.

Ride not recorded now..... how will I fix this? Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

tcooley wrote: »
    Hi

Garmin Edge 500 has been working fine lately.

However I formatted everything by mistake when deleting some activities.

The unit recorded everything fine on my most recent cycle. But all the software that was in the Garmin is now gone. Activities folder is deleted etc.

Ride not recorded now..... how will I fix this? Any ideas?

Your mileage may vary, but I know my OH had a Garmin (I can't recall was it her forerunnner watch or Edge 500, but underlying software is broadly the same) and when she contacted Garmin support about one problem she was having, they suggested formatting the device on a PC, and then update it via garmin connect, or garmin updater, or one of them (apologies for the ambiguity), so if you've nuked all files, maybe try just updating it via PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tcooley

Thanks Cython, yes I uploaded ride through my phone but never had this issue before. I always unmounted it properly from phone also but for everything to be deleted is annoying. I will get onto Garmin support now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

tcooley wrote: »
    .....I uploaded ride through my phone but never had this issue before... ...... but for everything to be deleted is annoying....
    If you uploaded the rides to a 3rd party such as Strava etc. would you not have a record of all your activities there? (I delete all activities after uploading as it seems to prevent bugs in the device. When it gets full, it deletes old rides automatically anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

You could try a factory reset - there are instructions in the on-line manual. I think this should bring back some basic level of functionality, you can then update the software via garmin express using a PC/laptop.

I didn't actually upload it to Strava as it wasn't present when I went to upload. It recorded fine during cycle but all the .fit files are deleted. It's completely wiped.

• Advertisement

Did the factory reset but all the files are still missing! I will give it to a tech at work and see what he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

If you used the computer to format the garmin (by mistake) then I am afraid then the files are lost

you could try a file recovery program, but It is a bit hit and miss with them

I formatted from the phone Keeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Did you load up the files anywhere - Strava, Garmin Connect etc? ; you should be able to get them back but probably in gcx or tcx format ; I presume there are some convertors to turn them back into fit files.

If you've formatted the Garmin, then its likely the files are unrecoverable on the device itself.

Is the Garmin device now working normally again? If yes, I'd be inclined to forget about the lost data, even if it is a bit of a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

I'd agree with the above-if it's formatted your garmin presumed you wanted to clear files so I'd say there history.Do you not have them on garmin connect?

• Advertisement
Advertisement