Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ask for a thread to be shut down?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

gizmo81 wrote: »
    I started a thread and it's turned into an attack on me. Who I am, what I am, no one is sticking to the point including the moderators.

I'd like the thread closed I don't have time to defend who I am as a person.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104439382#post104439382

I was told before that threads dont get shut down because OP wants them to be shut down. Stop posting and it will float away, I believe was the response.

And dude, no one is attacking you, they are just refuting your argument.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Thread won't be closed while still viable. Feel free to stop posting in it if you'd like.

Adjust your tone or leave this thread, please. Your choice.

Back on topic please, folks.

It's not fair to ask me to stop posting if people are attacking me, like the last three four pages of the thread.

People are deliberating derailing the thread and I have followed the guidelines report don't retort. But when the mods are egging on the ones disrupting the thread it's difficult i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

From what I can tell the AH mods are asking for the thread to get back on topic and to stop the personal attacks. I can see at least one card for a post so I am sure the mods of AH will review the thread and take action as needed on the reported posts. (also while report not retort is good, report and retort is usually not seen as a good way of going about things).

As for closing it down: you started a discussion. Whether you want to continue in it or not is up to you but at this stage the discussion has taken on a life of its own. It had actually moved on to chuggers but you pulled it back to preachers by responding to posters criticising you. A thread can continue long after the OP has decided they are no longer interested. Note: the mod did not tell you to stop posting, the mod said you did not have to post if you didnt want to , sometimes that can be the best way to tackle personal abuse.

Three pages of personal attacks, no worries . . .

LoLth wrote: »
    From what I can tell the AH mods are asking for the thread to get back on topic and to stop the personal attacks. I can see at least one card for a post so I am sure the mods of AH will review the thread and take action as needed on the reported posts. (also while report not retort is good, report and retort is usually not seen as a good way of going about things).

As for closing it down: you started a discussion. Whether you want to continue in it or not is up to you but at this stage the discussion has taken on a life of its own. It had actually moved on to chuggers but you pulled it back to preachers by responding to posters criticising you. A thread can continue long after the OP has decided they are no longer interested. Note: the mod did not tell you to stop posting, the mod said you did not have to post if you didnt want to , sometimes that can be the best way to tackle personal abuse.

To clarify Boards instruction is to allow people question a persons mental health and use it against them?

• Advertisement

no, the moderator did not tell you to stop posting. the moderator told you that you could stop posting if you did not like the thread.

you have misinterpreted the mods statement as a directive to stop posting. I was clarifying your misunderstanding.

on the personal attack angle: its not as clear cut as it could be. if you use a personal detail to prop up an opinion then the only way to attack the post is to attack the personal detail that you have presented as proof of some type.

However, there are some posts there that I would consider over the top and some comments that are not relevant to the discussion, either to refute your assertion or to support their own. The mods will need to take time to work through the thread and make the differentiation between an attacking comment / personal abuse or a comment questioning or tackling your own posted opinion.

Thank you for clarification.

you are most welcome.

How can I challenge this when it's the moderators of the site involved.
    mzungu wrote: »
    In this thread you have taken every opportunity to mention it. Even though it has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

Nope, just going on what you have posted.

At the end of the day the only person who loses out here is me.

two things here.

1. outside of their own forums, mods are treated just like users (or at least should be). mzungu is not a mod of AH so essentially you are complaining because he is a mod of a forum you don't post in.

2. that post is in response to a post you made (which was in response to a comment mzungu made on your overall posting style in the thread and the details you were providing to back up your opinion).

its off topic but if you just ignored the initial post you wouldn't feel this compulsion to respond to yet another post off the primary topic.

I havent read that entire thread (and I really dont want to!) but it looks like it started on preachers, you backed up your opinion of all religion - not just preachers - with your own personal experience and social demographic and then the conversation shifted to discussing your background because that was the the only information available to argue against.

but you are correct, it has drifted too far off topic at this stage, hence the moderator post to get back on topic. Perhaps you could resist the urge to address a user that does not discuss the original topic directly and instead concentrate on the topic that you want to discuss but keep the details impersonal?

• Advertisement

1. My apologies I thought there would be a system of 'setting a good example' in place.

2. On the thread mere mention of my sexuality has set posters frothing at the mouth, like a gay person can't have a life experience unique to them?

He said

Yet here you are playing the victim over a total non-issue. Irony overload.

Take your own advice.

Where did I play the victim?

You appear to be basing your entire identity around the fact that you are a gay man. Whether you mean to or not, you have made it an agenda. But you are only disempowering yourself with the perpetual victimhood lark.

Gay lives aren't agendas, are political pawns. Because my sexuality shaped who I am, having to listen to ignoramuses get worked up over my identity has made me stronger than many good imagine.

In this thread you have taken every opportunity to mention it. Even though it has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

Every opportunity, I mentioned it once, like a farmer might say the Dublin Jackeens giving out about us blocking Kildare Street in Protest once a year. But people chose to attack my sexuality.

However because I dared say I am gay,and when a poster said if I had strength I could avoid being gay I said I am proud to be gay the rabid mob kicks in and it's allowed.

You updated your charter well you needn't. of bothered.

I've been put down on that thread because of who I was born and had my mental health questioned and used against me.

Don't read the thread, no one does!

Can I report these here or where, reported on thread only two warnings given. I'd like Boards not to facilitate the demonisation of people with mental health issues.
    'Alphabet acceptance' is very dismissive

'Repeatedly called people homophobes', what people?

'Boasted your own sexuality', I am very proud of my community.
    tatranska wrote: »
    Imported from where ??:confused: Why are you equating religion with the KKK? I'm not sure I've seen any street preachers wearing pointy hats and burning crosses.

Are you sure you're mental health is ok? there seem to be a lot of disjointed ramblings in your posts ....there you go...ive said it:D
    SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Buy a pair of earphones and listen to whales humping.
    From your post you sound like a sick person withbad teeth and a penchant for public transport.
    You appear to be basing your entire identity around the fact that you are a gay man. Whether you mean to or not, you have made it an agenda. But you are only disempowering yourself with the perpetual victimhood lark.
    No thats not what it is about.

You have been using boards as a soapbox to project hate for organised religion. Its an anti religion thread....ergo...agenda.

You also mention being gay at least 5 times on the first page alone....nobody gives a f.uck.
    pjohnson wrote: »
    This is what is started as maybe but you cant resist mentioning your orientation every 3rd post or so. A few people have asked why YOU are bringing sexuality into it.
    keano_afc wrote: »
    You're not a very smart chap really, are you.

As someone who knows a lot of street preachers, your intolerant attitude isnt surprising. Your hatred and bigotry towards those that are different from you is disappointing, its a pity you cant adopt a live and let live attitude. Just because people are different, does it make them less human?

Perhaps opening your eyes to diversity and alternative lifestyles would be a good place to start in treating your intolerance.
    keano_afc wrote: »
    Haha. Like an odd version of Inception. "I'm reporting my own post because the replies show me to be a bit of a dick".

1. My apologies I thought there would be a system of 'setting a good example' in place.

mods should set an example and not cause problems in other forums, true. that doesnt mean they cannot disagree with users.
    2. On the thread mere mention of my sexuality has set posters frothing at the mouth, like a gay person can't have a life experience unique to them?

that is unfair, it wasnt a "mere mention" and very few (if any) posted in a manner that would be described as frothing at the mouth.
    He said

Yet here you are playing the victim over a total non-issue. Irony overload.

Take your own advice.

Where did I play the victim?

Gay lives aren't agendas, are political pawns. Because my sexuality shaped who I am, having to listen to ignoramuses get worked up over my identity has made me stronger than many good imagine.

Every opportunity, I mentioned it once, like a farmer might say the Dublin Jackeens giving out about us blocking Kildare Street in Protest once a year. But people chose to attack my sexuality.

really? do you want me to go count?
    post #7 (completely unprompted)
    and again in post #31 you bring up your sexuality. It is important to note *no one else* had commented on your orientation up to now.
    #37 you call being gay a gift...not in response to any other post that I can see
    #39 you respond to #38 and again state your sexuality.

I do 40 posts per page as standard so that's 5 times on one page and only 1 was in response to someone else.
    However because I dared say I am gay,and when a poster said if I had strength I could avoid being gay I said I am proud to be gay the rabid mob kicks in and it's allowed.

no, they said that some people would say you could be strong enough to resist being gay and meant it as an example for how you should stop and not lambaste religious people for their belief and call them weak. If anything the poster was reinforcing the idea that that thinking is wrong. But you have misinterpreted it as an anti-gay slur. That's not how I read it.
    You updated your charter well you needn't. of bothered.

I've been put down on that thread because of who I was born and had my mental health questioned and used against me.

because you brought it into the thread and used it as a basis for an argument putting down all religions and religious practices.
    Don't read the thread, no one does!

too late.

I will approve and respond to your list of quote in the morning.

GASP

One unprompted mention of being a <snip>, how dare I speak the thing that dare not speak it's name. Knock knock its 2017.

And four more mentions when questioned on my <snip>, oh Judy save us from this abomination.

I'm not gonna be forced into the LGBTQ Forum, I'll talk about my life on any forum.

If you want to ban me for being a <snip> go ahead!

My world view is shaped by being <snip>. And it's a wonderful Marvelous thing and I'm not gonna hide my pride and identity for anyone.

I'm out in the real world and I'm out here!
    <snip> are welcome or we're not!

GASP

One unprompted mention of being a <snip>, how dare I speak the thing that dare not speak it's name. Knock knock its 2017.

And four more mentions when questioned on my <snip>, oh Judy save us from this abomination.

I'm not gonna be forced into the LGBTQ Forum, I'll talk about my life on any forum.

If you want to ban me for being a <snip> go ahead!

My world view is shaped by being <snip>. And it's a wonderful Marvelous thing and I'm not gonna hide my pride and identity for anyone.

I'm out in the real world and I'm out here!
    <snip> are welcome or we're not!

I have no idea why you have started this practise of typing <snip> instead of the word gay, or homosexual or whatever you want to label yourself. and even more dramatic is the post with the content <deleted post>...why not just delete the post? or is that not visible enough for everyone else?

No-one is asking or suggesting that you "hide your pride". from what I can tell, most of the rational posters, including myself, dont give a flying rats **** what sexual orientation you are. No one is shocked. no-one as far as I can tell is actually horrified.

what I do care about is the fact that you appear to be deliberately forcing the gay aspect of your argument into the conversation so that when anyone questions its validity you can claim that you are being discriminated against and somehow oppressed/bullied. if I did not think it a complete trolling tactic I would almost suspect you were deliberately manufacturing the argument so you can then appear to "win" the confrontation and , how did you put it? "galvanise the community". Thankfully I think you are much more mature and level headed individual than that though I do recognise that anyone, regardless of gender, age, physical wellbeing or sexual preference has the absolute equal right to be an idiot.

also, no-one is trying to "force you into the LGBTQ forum". you are free to post wherever you want. However, if you post about a LGBTQ issue in a forum where the majority of users are not members of the LGBTQ community then don't feign shock when the majority don't see the world how you see it.

also, if I ban you, it wont be for anything to do with your sexual orientation.

It's obvious that the sight of words associated with my community 'trigger' to use a term levelled at me, posters in AH.

A gay man that isn't full of shame is problematic for posters obviously.

You're the one who counted how many time I mentioned gay which you got to 5 in a thread of 239 posts.

And it absolutely will be to do with my sexuality, tell yourself what you want but if you're counting how many times I say the word gay, the problem is yours not mine.

your post recreated blow to make this easier:
    Originally Posted by gizmo81 View Post

'Boasted your own sexuality', I am very proud of my community.

that's your own post. I happy for you that you are proud of your sexuality. I'm sure other posters are also proud of theirs. I'm wearing matching socks.
    Originally Posted by tatranska View Post
    Imported from where ?? Why are you equating religion with the KKK? I'm not sure I've seen any street preachers wearing pointy hats and burning crosses.

Are you sure you're mental health is ok? there seem to be a lot of disjointed ramblings in your posts ....there you go...ive said it

the reference to mental health here was not in relation to your sexuality. it was purely base don your posting style. I believe this was posted after you decided to multiquote previous posters in a disjointed sort of "summary so far". I do realise that there is a cohort of posters who enjoy using homosexuality = mental health issue trope to attempt to stifle discussion and degrade opposition to their opinions. That does not appear to be the case in this instance. It appears that you have jumped to a mistaken conclusion here. my matching socks are black.
    Originally Posted by SafeSurfer View Post
    Buy a pair of earphones and listen to whales humping.
    From your post you sound like a sick person withbad teeth and a penchant for public transport.

poster was sanctioned for that post and, here's the really relevant bit...it wasn't in response to anything you posted. it was aimed at another poster (sexual orientation unknown). I'm unsure where you are seeing the attack on you in that post. Neither sock has any holes in it.
    Originally Posted by mzungu View Post

granted, too personal and very much speculation. however, it is based on your behaviour in the thread where you introduced your own personal details as proof of the validity of your argument and then claimed discrimination based on those details when they were questioned. I do believe you should not have become the topic of the conversation but I can certainly see how it came to be that way (and its not just everyone else's fault). the heel on the left sock is a bit worn though. I wonder if my shoe is rubbing.
    Originally Posted by Senor Fancy Pants View Post
    No thats not what it is about.

You have been using boards as a soapbox to project hate for organised religion. Its an anti religion thread....ergo...agenda.

You also mention being gay at least 5 times on the first page alone....nobody gives a [naughty word].

your post is anti-street preachers and then it evolved into anti-religion where you called all religious people weak and equated all religion with harm. Worst thing about that is the bypassing of the swear filter. ****ing left shoe, always causes trouble for my socks.
    Originally Posted by pjohnson View Post
    This is what is started as maybe but you cant resist mentioning your orientation every 3rd post or so. A few people have asked why YOU are bringing sexuality into it.

I'm not sure what you are reporting here. its a question about your posting in that thread. can people not question your posts?

the right sock is ok.
    Originally Posted by keano_afc View Post
    You're not a very smart chap really, are you.

As someone who knows a lot of street preachers, your intolerant attitude isnt surprising. Your hatred and bigotry towards those that are different from you is disappointing, its a pity you cant adopt a live and let live attitude. Just because people are different, does it make them less human?

Perhaps opening your eyes to diversity and alternative lifestyles would be a good place to start in treating your intolerance.

he's using the arguments usually reserved for lifestyle acceptance against you to ask why you wont extend the same courtesy to preachers. he does indeed call you stupid but in possibly the politest way I have seen on boards so far. A warning could be warranted for the personal...attack seems wrong for that wording... but that would be a purely "by-the-rules" decision base don forums I have modded. AH generally allows a more relaxed approach to posting and interaction so as not to stifle discussion. Its up to the mods and if it were appealed against it would be a tough DRP to adjudicate. should I alternate the feet my socks go on to distribute the wear and tear?
    Originally Posted by keano_afc View Post
    Haha. Like an odd version of Inception. "I'm reporting my own post because the replies show me to be a bit of a dick".

and your point? that one was actioned. nice to see the mods on the ball.

some socks have a design on the outside of the leg part so you cant alternate because the design would be on the inside and that would be weird.
    Originally Posted by mzungu View Post

its a post discussing you but its not an attack. its also a response to a direct question and a statement made by you to mzungu...when asked to not respond you said it wouldnt be polite (or good manners, one of those). does the same not apply to others? Maybe, if you had taken the advice and not replied then this horrific assault on the core of your being would not have been posted.

It's obvious that the sight of words associated with my community 'trigger' to use a term levelled at me, posters in AH.

I have no idea what you are trying to say with that bit.

there's that victim approach the posters were talking about.
    You're the one who counted how many time I mentioned gay which you got to 5 in a thread of 239 posts.

And it absolutely will be to do with my sexuality, tell yourself what you want but if you're counting how many times I say the word gay, the problem is yours not mine.

you said you posted it once and once only. it was the basis for how the others were rabidly jumping on you for only posting it once so they must have a problem. You said this in post 12 in this thread. It was pointed out to you several times in the AH thread.

seriously, is there more than one of you at the keyboard? do you honestly not remember posting that? I wont quote it because you'll think I just took it from somewhere else or made it up. please, go read it yourself.

You're just being facetious now in post 18.

Disgusting behaviour, no wonder boards.ie is the way it is if this is how it's 'Admins' behave.

Quote:
    there's that victim approach the posters were talking about.

No I am not the victim you and other posters are the ones claiming victimhood because you claim i'm 'pushing' my sexuality i your faces by the mere mention I am gay and have a world view shaped by my life experience.

If you read the thread i said people are free to believe whatever they want, so I'm not anti-religion, I am against organised religion, but don't let that get in the way of you climbing up onto your soapbox.

• Advertisement

you originally posted no distinction about organised religion, you edited your post the following day to clarify that.

post #22 in that thread:
    Religion = Harm

post #27
    Religion is a tool of oppression, historically use to control the poor and the ignorant

post #64
    Thanks for agreeing that religion is weakness

post #82 was your first mention of the qualifier "organised" religions. All of these are from before your edit of the OP.

but hey, if you're going to completely change your stance despite the record being there to show otherwise then there is no point discussing this with you. I believe your original query on getting the thread closed has been more than addressed at this stage.

More than once you have been informed that your posting style could lead to issues. I suggest that you take some time to consider that advice. That AH thread is a prime example of what you have been told before. Yes, some posters stepped over the line but your over-reaction completely undermines any valid argument you may have and you absolute refusal to consider the possibility of any culpability makes any reaction from the mods appear, to you, to be too lenient and then obviously evidence of discrimination. its not. I would advise in future that you pause before reacting and think about how others may perceive your words. you aren't always right. you aren't always justified and your own personal experiences are not carte blanche to do or say anything you want without repercussions.

now. this may be a pointless piece of advice but: I'm closing this thread now. I knew that you are going to be tempted to open another to continue. please feel free to type up a post but when it comes to hitting "post thread"... just don't. Hit the back button and go browse something more entertaining for a bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement