Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you get tickets for an All Ireland Final?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I know some counties give tickets to former county players from minor upwards. Would be interesting to know what that adds up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

I know some counties give tickets to former county players from minor upwards. Would be interesting to know what that adds up to.

That would be included though in the county allocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

A break down on where all of the AI final tickets go.

21272515_10156495815863056_3228451061874788889_n.jpg?oh=34c046628ecc018f21c540585cfec4d6&oe=5A55F56A

The ard chomairle section seems a bit high. Other than that, it seems fairly reasonable to me.

In the past, I would've always said that for the most part, tickets get to genuine fans. However, for the hurling final, I saw some people getting tickets who hardly ever go to games while I saw people who contribute a lot to the gaa fail to get a ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

If all else fails there's always a €250 brekky and a €100 ticket for the match. €350 all in what a bargain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

so 350 altogether, so a match ticket 80,ladies ticket maybe 20? the shirt 65 retail, probably worth more as its signed plus a nice breakfast listening to Ciaran Whelan and whoever else will be there lets say 20 euros worth. I would be half tempted if I was a Dublin supporter if only to get a ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

franklyon wrote: »
    so 350 altogether, so a match ticket 80,ladies ticket maybe 20? the shirt 65 retail, probably worth more as its signed plus a nice breakfast listening to Ciaran Whelan and whoever else will be there lets say 20 euros worth. I would be half tempted if I was a Dublin supporter if only to get a ticket.

Could be a nally ticket which would be €40, it's bloody expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Get friendly with someone involved in the GAA. Buy them pints all year. Slap them on the back a lot. Come September you should have no problem. Send Christmas cards and ring them every so often. Don't make it obvious you are after one thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

I think that Galway GAA also ran a fundraiser like this as well in the Loughrea hotel.

I think that people attending got match tickets as well. Does anyone have any more information on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

It was published a couple of days ago that Mayo are allocated 16,500 tickets. I presume Dublin is the same.

Those tickets include season ticket holders and families I assume.

It seems like a small number to me. There's never enough to go around at club level.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately one of consequences of increased number of county board passes and season tickets - and I think Dublin and Mayo are by far the biggest subscribers to both - is small number that go to clubs as the former are taken as part of county allocation.

I have had Parnell Pass for nearly ten years now and it is a gift. Well pays for itself, even just for club matches. I am no longer active in club so have no business looking there and they find it impossible even to look after playing members,

Even Gavin's own club Round Towers only had initial allocation from DCB of 40 last year! I assume that increased as they hunted about but it is rather ludicrous situation. Of course I assume quite a lot of RT members have PP and season tickets. They really are the best option if you can get one at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Unfortunately one of consequences of increased number of county board passes and season tickets - and I think Dublin and Mayo are by far the biggest subscribers to both - is small number that go to clubs as the former are taken as part of county allocation.

I think season tickets are sold out now in Mayo for the last couple of years. It had to be capped with so many members.

I haven't got a season ticket simply because I would not get the use out of it. I don't live in Mayo so I would miss a lot of club games.
    Even when you do go to Mayo games, you still have to pay for the tickets. I think you get free admission to the first game of the championship, but if that's New York or London forget about it.

Season tickets are only of value if you get to the final so you're guaranteed a ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I think season tickets are sold out now in Mayo for the last couple of years. It had to be capped with so many members.

I haven't got a season ticket simply because I would not get the use out of it. I don't live in Mayo so I would miss a lot of club games.
    Even when you do go to Mayo games, you still have to pay for the tickets. I think you get free admission to the first game of the championship, but if that's New York or London forget about it.

Season tickets are only of value if you get to the final so you're guaranteed a ticket.

They're great value besides,gratis admission to all league games,first championship game gratis and five euro discount on all subsequent championship games.

Is there not a county board scheme too? Cairde Maigh Eó or something similar? Probably like Parnell it is over-subscribed. If you are not in Mayo value of them is not as good as you won't be at many home games or club games, I suppose.

Dublin championships are restarting in a few weeks and my pass will save me almost as much as I paid for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

A break down on where all of the AI final tickets go.

21272515_10156495815863056_3228451061874788889_n.jpg?oh=34c046628ecc018f21c540585cfec4d6&oe=5A55F56A

Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm missing something. But if each of the senior finalists get 16,500 each. That's 33,000. I'm just guessing that the minor counties would get 5,000 in total between them. That would be 38,000. The total county allocation is on average 57k. So that would leave 19k distributed to the clubs in the other counties. Leaving aside the 4 counties in the finals (on the basis that neither senior team nor minor team are from same counties), there would be 28 other counties. That would be about 670 tickets to each county. We hear that each club gets 2 tickets. That would mean on average that there are 335 clubs in each county, which obviously is not trure.
    In reality if you assume that there is an average of 40 clubs in a county, and each gets 2 tickets. That's only 80 tickets. And for 28 counties, that's less than 3,000 to the clubs in the non-participating counties. But that's a lot less than the 19,000 that I refer to above. Where does the rest of the county allocations go. Unless my reckoning of the minor finalist counties is incorrect, and that they get an allocation of about 15,000 between them.

seligehgit wrote: »
    They're great value besides,gratis admission to all league games,first championship game gratis and five euro discount on all subsequent championship games.

To get the value out of the season ticket, you have to be available to go to those league games in Tyrone/ Kerry/ Derry/ Cork/ Dublin etc. and be free every weekend in the Summer (going through the back door with replays).

With my job that's just not possible and for families with young kids it'd very expensive/ not ideal to travel that much.

Undoubtedly worth the money if you can facilitate it.

Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm missing something. But if each of the senior finalists get 16,500 each. That's 33,000. I'm just guessing that the minor counties would get 5,000 in total between them. That would be 38,000. The total county allocation is on average 57k. So that would leave 19k distributed to the clubs in the other counties. Leaving aside the 4 counties in the finals (on the basis that neither senior team nor minor team are from same counties), there would be 28 other counties. That would be about 670 tickets to each county. We hear that each club gets 2 tickets. That would mean on average that there are 335 clubs in each county, which obviously is not trure.
    In reality if you assume that there is an average of 40 clubs in a county, and each gets 2 tickets. That's only 80 tickets. And for 28 counties, that's less than 3,000 to the clubs in the non-participating counties. But that's a lot less than the 19,000 that I refer to above. Where does the rest of the county allocations go. Unless my reckoning of the minor finalist counties is incorrect, and that they get an allocation of about 15,000 between them.
    Clubs get more than 2 each. Each county is different. In Clare, a senior club that has 2 adult hurling teams but no football team gets 5 hurling tickets and 3 football ones. The figures are fairly accurate to be honest I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Seems to be a bit of a difference, my best guess is that they actually withhold a nice chunk of tickets for the second allocation... which always happens and is always more than could be possible from just the non competeing Counties returning tickets.

33,000 first allocation Senior Counties (known)
    8,000 first allocation Minor Counties (always thought it was 4k each)
    4,000 Non Competing Counties

~14,000 held back and released in the 2nd allocation to Senior & Minor Counties. 5.5k each for Senior and 1.5k for Minor.

That would bring it to 59,000.

When the few tickets that are returned from the non-competiting counties are returned, they're added to this withheld tranche imo.

Clubs get more than 2 each. Each county is different. In Clare, a senior club that has 2 adult hurling teams but no football team gets 5 hurling tickets and 3 football ones. The figures are fairly accurate to be honest I'd say.

Oh, ok. I thought that every club from non-participating counties just got 2 tickets each.

Although, that sentence is indicative of part of the problem. That club you refer to gets 3 All-Ireland football tickets, although has no connection with football, whereas you have supporters from the participating counties paying over the odds for any ticket out of desperation.

PARlance wrote: »
    Seems to be a bit of a difference, my best guess is that they actually withhold a nice chunk of tickets for the second allocation... which always happens and is always more than could be possible from just the non competeing Counties returning tickets.

33,000 first allocation Senior Counties (known)
    8,000 first allocation Minor Counties (always thought it was 4k each)
    4,000 Non Competing Counties (probably a high estimation)

~14,000 held back and released in the 2nd allocation to Senior & Minor Counties. 5.5k each for Senior and 1.5k for Minor.

When the few tickets that are returned from the non-competiting counties are returned, they're added to this withheld tranche imo.

Nowhere near close - I'd guess more like 500 per county on average (will vary a lot depending on registered clubs in each county).

Oh, ok. I thought that every club from non-participating counties just got 2 tickets each.

Although, that sentence is indicative of part of the problem. That club you refer to gets 3 All-Ireland football tickets, although has no connection with football, whereas you have supporters from the participating counties paying over the odds for any ticket out of desperation.

I'd disagree - every club is entitled to their tickets in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Nowhere near close - I'd guess more like 500 per county on average (will vary a lot depending on registered clubs in each county).

Ya just edited that, if it is 500 per county then that's the difference so. I didn't think it was that high at all.

Dublin clubs certainly don't get that many tickets if non participating. If Clare figure was translated to whole country you'd be talking about somewhere around 10,000 tickets? Would that be accurate?

I'd disagree - every club is entitled to their tickets in my opinion.

Why? How many from that club would have been to the Mayo/Kerry semi final - when the attendance was 20k short of full house. No problem getting a ticket. How do you conclude that people from a non-football club in Clare (who more than likely would not have been at a Mayo or Dublin game all year) are on equal footing with a Mayo or Dublin person in terms of entitlement to buy an All-Ireland ticket.

Dublin clubs got two tickets each for hurling final afaik. Which is fair enough. IfClare figure was applied to Dublin would mean us getting hundreds of tickets for a final in which we have no involvement! I don't see how that could be considered fair.

There were 150,000 people at the Mayo and Dublin semi finals (only including the last Mayo game.) Easily 110,000 were from Mayo and Dublin. Obviously they can't all logistically get tickets but 90% should be reserved for the participating counties.

Why? How many from that club would have been to the Mayo/Kerry semi final - when the attendance was 20k short of full house. No problem getting a ticket.
    How do you conclude that people from a non-football club in Clare (who more than likely would not have been at a Mayo or Dublin game all year) are on equal footing with a Mayo or Dublin person in terms of entitlement to buy an All-Ireland ticket.

I agree. Fans from competing counties deserve tickets far more than people in other counties just because they have an involvement in the GAA. There are thousands or people around the country involved in the GAA. How can you say some people deserve them over others.

Also the senior Mayo ladies football team never get a look in when it comes to tickets for the men's final.
    I know the LGFA is a separate organisation, but the ladies represent their county at the same level as the men and don't have the option to receive All Ireland tickets.

This is the case for Mayo, I don't know about Dublin ladies.

• Advertisement

Also the senior Mayo ladies football team never get a look in when it comes to tickets for the men's final.
    I know the LGFA is a separate organisation, but the ladies represent their county at the same level as the men and don't have the option to receive All Ireland tickets.

That's bad form. I was watching Mayo-Cork game last weekend. And it was a great promotion for Gaelic football. The GAA should acknowledge this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

They've their own All-Ireland to be worried about in fairness ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The LGFA have been invited to join the gaa and refused to do so. If they joined the gaa the players would have a player pass and could probably be entitled to tickets, but when they belong to a different organisation and refuse to join the gaa it's a bit much to be complaining about not being entitled to tickets for that organisations biggest day.

People from clubs outside the participating counties give their lives to the gaa and many are from counties that will never be in the final. The day isn't just about those two counties, it's a celebration of the association, and all that it has achieved through the hard work of its volunteers throughout the country. Getting the odd ticket for those people is important imo.

Why? How many from that club would have been to the Mayo/Kerry semi final - when the attendance was 20k short of full house. No problem getting a ticket. How do you conclude that people from a non-football club in Clare (who more than likely would not have been at a Mayo or Dublin game all year) are on equal footing with a Mayo or Dublin person in terms of entitlement to buy an All-Ireland ticket.

Like 1000's of others up and down the country I put a lot of voluntary hours every week into my club through playing, coaching and administration. I do it all for the love of it just like everyone else. The all ireland finals are like christmas day to me - they are everything the gaa stands for and is all about. I love going to them as often as I can and I think that it's a bloody great thing that the gaa think about me and 1000's more like me by giving me that opportunity sometimes.

I will never see Clare in an all ireland football final - does that mean I should never be allowed go?

I fully sympathise with any dedicated Mayo/Dublin fan that can't get a ticket but I also think that between season tickets, competing counties allocations etc there are enough tickets there for anyone with any bit of involvement/contacts to get one.

I won't be feeling guilty sitting in my seat sunday week anyway.

And rightly so. For every 100 hard luck stories, you'll probably find a few genuine ones.

• Advertisement

Yes normally it would be easy but the fact that the two counties with the most season ticket holders plus a long waiting list for both counties means a lot of the fans that went to the league matches, went down to Limerick,up twice for Roscommon games and 2 more trips to see Kerry won't have a chance to go to the final while people with contacts get to have their choice of ticket and haven't been to a game since the last AI Final.

Stationmaster, I played hurling and was involved in underage teams for a long time.

I would not feel that I was as much entitled to a hurling final ticket as a Clare person if Clare were in it.

Not begrudging you your ticket by the way. Ce la vie!

Stationmaster, I played hurling and was involved in underage teams for a long time.

I would not feel that I was as much entitled to a hurling final ticket as a Clare person if Clare were in it.

C'est la vie is better and Idon't begrudge him his ticket either, it's the fair weather fans (I know a good few) that I have issue with.

Yea, I see your point too of course and, to be honest, I have a friend or two in Mayo who I might end up giving the tickets to if they don't get sorted. Just annoys me a little this time of the year everyone going on about how much they deserve a ticket when a lot of them have no idea what's involved.

Let's hope everyone gets sorted!

franklyon wrote: »
    C'est la vie is better and Idon't begrudge him his ticket either, it's the fair weather fans (I know a good few) that I have issue with.

Oh definitely. Far prefer to see likes of Stationmaster in a seat than some of the characters that will turn up next Sunday week who haven't been at a Dublin or Mayo game all year.

In fairness, that is not as bad as it used to be because of county board passes and season tickets, but there are always chancers who know someone or get one through work or business connections.

Having said that, was at one final in a corporate box and almost everyone in it was either a Dub or Kerry supporter who knew their stuff. Even the elite seem to have some sense of fair play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

People from clubs outside the participating counties give their lives to the gaa and many are from counties that will never be in the final. The day isn't just about those two counties, it's a celebration of the association, and all that it has achieved through the hard work of its volunteers throughout the country. Getting the odd ticket for those people is important imo.

That's an important point I think. Someone from a weaker county should have the chance to go to a final if they put work into the GAA. Also with the majority of people in Ireland spending time living elsewhere in the country, there has to be other avenues to sort local GAA volunteers. For example Galway county board were under pressure from within to do a ticket swap with Mayo to secure extra hurling in exchange for football but refused because there's plenty of Mayo football people active in Galway clubs that deserve a shot at those tickets.

The allocation structure looks ok generally imo. The season ticket was there to cater for the season long fans. The fans who can't make every game due to work or whatever, can get active in their local clubs instead during the week. Not many can have complaints. Maybe Dubs and Mayo should add some extra season tickets and take that off their club allocation in future but that's something they can decide themselves

Sono wrote: »
    If all else fails there's always a €250 brekky and a €100 ticket for the match. €350 all in what a bargain

This breakfast/glorified robbery of ordinary fans got slaughtered on the GAA hour and rightly so.

Indeed. And where do those tickets come from? And the money to pay the boys, assuming they are not stupid enough to be doing it for the good of their health!

Indeed. And where do those tickets come from? And the money to pay the boys, assuming they are not stupid enough to be doing it for the good of their health!

They seemed to be of the opinion that they were tickets from the Dublin County Board and weren't really been targeted at the real fans.More so the big corporate firms who distribute them as they please.

Not widely advertised,quelle surprise.I'm sure they'd expect quite a backlash.Very much doubt Whelo is doing it for the good of his health.Perhaps I'm too much of a sceptic and he's doing his little bit for the boys in blue.Anyway I can hear him any Sunday night on TSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭howiya

Dublin clubs got two tickets each for hurling final afaik. Which is fair enough. IfClare figure was applied to Dublin would mean us getting hundreds of tickets for a final in which we have no involvement! I don't see how that could be considered fair.

There were 150,000 people at the Mayo and Dublin semi finals (only including the last Mayo game.) Easily 110,000 were from Mayo and Dublin. Obviously they can't all logistically get tickets but 90% should be reserved for the participating counties.

My own club in Dublin got more than two tickets and we're not a big club.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    They seemed to be of the opinion that they were tickets from the Dublin County Board and weren't really been targeted at the real fans.More so the big corporate firms who distribute them as they please.

Not widely advertised,quelle surprise.I'm sure they'd expect quite a backlash.Very much doubt Whelo is doing it for the good of his health.Perhaps I'm too much of a sceptic and he's doing his little bit for the boys in blue.Anyway I can hear him any Sunday night on TSG.

Brady certainly wouldn't be doing it for the Dublin cause anyway. I'm sure a couple of grand would be divided up among them. It is an early start in fairness :)

Advertisement