Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunt for the perfect lunchbox

Options
  • 21-08-2017 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone found the mythical perfect lunchbox?

Here is what I want

Sections: Keep their grapes away from the sandwich, away from the crackers away from the cheese. Ideally 4+ compartments. 1 can fit a sandwich. 1 can fit a small apple.

One Lid: I don't want loads of hinged lids or separate pieces to clean. Sistema one I have tried, with a zillion breakable parts in the lunchboxes. I don't want boxes that fit into other boxes. No time for hunting for lids or assembling jigsaws in the morning.

Dishwasher safe.

Not too big that it won't go in a school bag. Not too small that it can't fit enough food for the two breaks.

Sealed. If some juice comes out of something, I don't want it all over the school books. Juice proof

I've found some suppliers of the thing I am looking for, in Australia. Anything like these closer to home?

https://littlelunchboxco.com.au/product/bento-five-pineapple/

https://www.limetreekids.com.au/product-rainebeau-kiwi-fruit-bento-lunchbox-9091.aspx

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Try Heatons they have a great selection.
    I bought the sectioned lunch boxes from Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CPZXF9K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Sistema ones can be good http://sistemaplastics.com/products/lunch but they are awkward for washing and loads of lids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Thanks. the first ones are not available and also not leakproof.

"Note: Lids are designed to be easily opened and therefore are NOT leakproof"

Sistema are a total disaster for us. 3 weeks they last in my house before some bit of them is broken or a lid is lost. I can't be replacing those all year long. Need something durable.

I've been into heatons, dunnes, homestore, Debenhams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Try easons. I saw one similar to what you want in their swords store (not sure where you are based)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I've had a few Siestema and haven't found them too bad. Had one of the lunch cubes which lasted fine, and a normal lid plain box which has been ok.
    If you were willing to chance them again this one might fit the bill, its a bit wide but I was only looking at them today and thought they'd be handy.

Woodies have a good selection of boxes this time of year, quite a few with compartments.

http://www.woodies.ie/sistema-lunch-tub-box-to-go-1120603

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

I'm going to order a yumbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

If you're near Dublin, Stock on South King St might be worth a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I found it easiest to get a lunch bag (has a long strap for carrying, but fits in his school bag). I got a sandwich box (it's all one piece, lid flips up) and another smaller box with a flip up lid for grapes, raisins, whatever is on offer for small break. Like you, I can't be dealing with a gazillion bits and pieces in the morning.

miamee wrote: »

Almost... except for the removable separated tray. And the outer part isn't dishwasher proof.

I don't mind paying for something that will last. Buy once of good quality will suit me better than binning something every couple of months and replacing.

bp wrote: »
    Try easons. I saw one similar to what you want in their swords store (not sure where you are based)

Cork, but will check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Try Mr. Price - was in my local one at the weekend and they have every size and design of lunchbox

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I got my school books from cormicans.com this year and I got 2 lunchboxes too, they're called nude food movers and they're the business. If you Google them, they were E9.95 each and have different compartments. They're not leak proof though but there are 2 little containers in one end of the ones I bought.

cbyrd wrote: »
    I got my school books from cormicans.com this year and I got 2 lunchboxes too, they're called nude food movers and they're the business. If you Google them, they were E9.95 each and have different compartments. They're not leak proof though but there are 2 little containers in one end of the ones I bought.

The nude food movers on google have lids that look like the sistema ones (that break up on me)... do the lids come off, or how do you clean?

I don't wrap the food inside a lunchbox in more plastic bags generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Home store and more have a good selection. I prefer a lunch bag with small tubs in it for the bits and pieces. My kids are older though. I found that no matter how perfect the lunchbox the first thing to break was the clasp and then it has to be binned anyway.

Moonbeams sectioned ones are still winning for me, the GranRosi3, but unavailable. Boo. :(

I'm pretty close to trying these Better Bento. They have Sections. Lid. Leakproof. Doesn't' fit apple, but sure that can go in the bag loose.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Better-Bento-100-Proof-Lunch/dp/B016R466DW/ref=pd_sim_201_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8K68TJVEZDFEVF6RS98G

Also considering these. YumBox. bigger. But that plastic insert thingie looks breakable.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yumbox-Classic-Bento-Lunchbox-Children/dp/B01FRF5ZMU/ref=lp_3313547031_1_19?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1503650062&sr=1-19

Lunchbox shopping on amazon is the biggest time suck! I think I spend an hour browsing lunchboxes last night. Plus I put these in my shopping cart before I talked myself out of making shaped sandwiches. But cripes, the jigsaw one.... I want a jigsaw shaped sandwich for my own lunch now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Goodlucky365-Sandwich-Cutter-Cookie-cutter/dp/B01IR3LG4A/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_cp_8?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01IR3LG4A&pd_rd_r=7VAVV4EM3CYM0D5218C1&pd_rd_w=GHnoX&pd_rd_wg=t3jA3&psc=1&refRID=7VAVV4EM3CYM0D5218C1

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The Better Bento I don't think will work for my JI kid as it's hard to open.

I think I'll resign myself to getting a sistema one from homestores because I do want a yoghurt pot with a twisty lid rather than a press on one for yoghurts. If I get him the press on lids he'll mostly wear the yogurt.

I'll need a compartment big enough for a small apple as it's one of the few fruits he eats. I have the dinosaur sandwich cutter - I'll add that to my amazon list too.

The Yumbox looks lovely too for me. I'm shallow and easily swayed by the delicious looking food in the promo pictures. Actually I want loads of the adult bento boxes on Amazon. It might inspire me to eat better than my deli sambo with 2 bags of crisps.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D6AZP88/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3G26SS6D9MTCL&psc=1

Its a mammy elephant with a baby elephant!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018WYPHCQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3UH9S92VFV33W&psc=1

I've ordered these little forks for fruit.

This is just for my lunch by the way! :p

Ah, good point on opening it!

I gave up on yoghurt in school after 1 week. There is so much jostling and messing, someone always gets it somewhere. The teachers can't stand it I'd say.

That, and frubes. My primary school teacher buddies would consign Frubes to Room 101 in a heartbeat.

One more hunt in the brick shops this weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

pwurple wrote: »
    Ah, good point on opening it!

I gave up on yoghurt in school after 1 week. There is so much jostling and messing, someone always gets it somewhere. The teachers can't stand it I'd say.

That, and frubes. My primary school teacher buddies would consign Frubes to Room 101 in a heartbeat.

One more hunt in the brick shops this weekend...

If anybody is giving a child frubes, freeze them first and pop them in the lunchbox frozen, slightly less mess

• Registered Users Posts: 19 FurtherAway

Have been following this with great interest myself! I cannot post links, but search for "AckMond" on Amazon. I know there is not a whole lot of reviews (and one very negative one), but Amazon Germany has 9 reviews, all but one of which are 5/5. So no personal experience, but it seems to tick all the boxes of the OP.

Me, I have just ordered the Yumbox because my child is very fuzzy but loves dips and will try anything once there is ketchup or something by the side, so I am taken by the little round section. I also find the idea of 5 sections, one for each food group, very appealing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Sostrene Grene had a lunchbox with compartments but I don't think they have their products online to share a link. It was around €5.

Ackmod are nice, but I think a little small for two breaks for the whole day. I would have to pack other stuff as well separately. Maybe two of them?

Ooh, sostrene green is near me. Didn't even think of them. Will pop in on saturday.

School starts tomorrow of course, so I have resorted back to the old bits of broken sistema until I find something else.

Ackmod are nice, but I think a little small for two breaks for the whole day. I would have to pack other stuff as well separately. Maybe two of them?

Ooh, sostrene green is near me. Didn't even think of them. Will pop in on saturday.

School starts tomorrow of course, so I have resorted back to the old bits of broken sistema until I find something else.

Just found this online - it's the one I saw in store.

Wanderer41 wrote: »

It's PERFECT! Exactly what I am looking for. :D

Wanderer41 wrote: »

I zoomed into the shop and got them yesterday, only 4 euro actually, not 5. Bonus.

Great size, good deep compartments. No gap at the top of the sections, food does not mix.

Nice and easy to clean. Very compact, and they stack well on my kitchen shelves

The hinge feels a leeeetle bit flimsy. Too many open and close operations may snap it, time will tell.

Slight problem is that neither of my girls could physically open them from the flat on the table position. They turned them upside down and had to push down on the clasp rather than up. Which... well, you get it. Food everywhere except in the cute compartments.

We had to do a training and practice session last night to get them to open the clasp, then flip the box right way up before lid comes off to release the food.

I zoomed into the shop and got them yesterday, only 4 euro actually, not 5. Bonus.

Great size, good deep compartments. No gap at the top of the sections, food does not mix.

Nice and easy to clean. Very compact, and they stack well on my kitchen shelves

The hinge feels a leeeetle bit flimsy. Too many open and close operations may snap it, time will tell.

Slight problem is that neither of my girls could physically open them from the flat on the table position. They turned them upside down and had to push down on the clasp rather than up. Which... well, you get it. Food everywhere except in the cute compartments.

We had to do a training and practice session last night to get them to open the clasp, then flip the box right way up before lid comes off to release the food.

Glad they are what you were looking for, I hope they work well and they can manage the clasp!

Advertisement