Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REPEATING SUBJECTS!!!!!!???

Options
  • 21-08-2017 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    I am looking to repeat 3 subjects in my leaving Cert. But I am just wondering when completing my leaving Cert next year, will my new results cancel out my previous ones in the subjects I choose to repeat? Eg. If I got a H4 in geography, repeated and got a H3, will that be added to my previous results I originally set and give higher points?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nope, students haven't been allowed to aggregate for about 20 years, and even then you could never add up points in the way you are suggesting.

If you re-sit, you must repeat everything, you can't add scores of 3 subjects repeated next year to results of subjects from this year that you may have been happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

No, you don't have to repeat everything, but Larbre is right that you can't combine for points either.

Bottom line:

- The CAO will only take into account your *points* from one single sitting of your LC. If you sat it twice, they will work with the year in which you you achieved the highest points.

- However, you CAN combine from both years in order to meet college or course minimum requirements. In other words, if you need to have passed Irish or Maths, for example, and you have jumped that hurdle this year, you don't have to repeat those if you don't want to. (The exception here is medicine, where both points and minimum requirements have to be achieved in the same year).

Advertisement