Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflating tyres at garages with 1 euro air charge doesnt work with valve adapters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Buy a pump that's meant to be used for a bike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

aldi currently have track pumps, aka floor pumps, for €6. not something you'd take out on the bike with you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

worded wrote: »
    Ive tried at a few garages now and same problem at these pay stations
    [/url]

Yep, I tried at all 3 local garages, unfortunately all three have the modern €1 pump set-ups - which are too clever and won't inflate bicycle tyres. If you hear of some work around do let me know..

I need to inflate a tubeless set-up and my track-up+arms combo isn't up to the task.
    In my case I'll need to buy something like an airshot
    http://www.airshotltd.com/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how do the pumps detect it's not a car tyre, i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I suspect they'll work on a schrader valve. They need to depress the centre pin to read the current tyre pressure. Only then will they start pumping to inflate. With an adaptor on a presta valve, there's no pin to depress so they don't see anything to inflate.

It may work if you press the valve by hand to unseat it before fitting the adaptor and then use the 'flat tyre' button on the pump. That may persuade the machine to start pumping first.

OTOH, the machine will be unlikely to pump to a high enough pressure. It'll be limited to max 45psi or so.

• Advertisement

Is it not dangerous to use it on cycle tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Is it not dangerous to use it on cycle tyres?

You can use a garage airline on bike tyres, but you must remember that bike tyres contain a tiny volume of air, compared to motor-vehicle tyres, so you need to press the trigger for really short bursts - 3 seconds of airflow with a car tyre may increase the pressure by 5 PSI, but it will increase a bike tyre (depending on tyre-size and previous pressure) by 30-40 PSI, so a repeated 0.5 second burst with a check each time, to see how much the pressure has changed, should be the method with bike tyres. The gauges on the garage airlines are rarely accurate at higher pressures, so you shouldn't bring the indicated pressure to the tyre's maximum, as it may well be over that in reality.

Also, as cdaly says, many filling stations will have set the compressor to cut out at lower pressures, such as 50 PSI (both for safety and cost), as only goods vehicles (and bikes) need higher pressures than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

You can get an adapter in most bike shops now that screw into the Schrader valve. It's always handy to have one in the saddle bag as you never know when you'll only have access to a footpump or garage pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Type 17 wrote: »
    Also, as cdaly says, many filling stations will have set the compressor to cut out at lower pressures, such as 50 PSI (both for safety and cost), as only goods vehicles (and bikes) need higher pressures than that.
    ^this^ I used to have some cheapo adapter I would carry in case I got a puncture and was near a garage or had no pump, ~50psi was enough to get home one.

http://www.dx.com/p/presta-to-schrader-valve-adapter-converters-golden-pair-90880#.WZsF9T6GOUk

set of 6 of them for about 67cent including delivery!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/6pcs-Schrader-Cars-Bicycle-Road-Bikes-Tube-Cap-pump-connector-Adapter-Valve-long-/331645888982?hash=item4d37a2a9d6:g:U70AAOSwHnFV6V2r

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

That'll be because of The Eclipse......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

op is looking to get tubeless tíre seated. Hence the need for a proper air line. They are rare enough now unfortunately. What i did the last time was remove the centre of the valve and use a co2 canister to get the tyre seated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

rubadub wrote: »
    ^this^ I used to have some cheapo adapter I would carry in case I got a puncture and was near a garage or had no pump, ~50psi was enough to get home one.

http://www.dx.com/p/presta-to-schrader-valve-adapter-converters-golden-pair-90880#.WZsF9T6GOUk

set of 6 of them for about 67cent including delivery!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/6pcs-Schrader-Cars-Bicycle-Road-Bikes-Tube-Cap-pump-connector-Adapter-Valve-long-/331645888982?hash=item4d37a2a9d6:g:U70AAOSwHnFV6V2r

Those car like valves don't work in pay a euro for air places any more

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Buy a pump is the best option...it's a long walk from Sally Gap to Laragh to get to the nearest Petrol Station!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

worded wrote: »
    Those car like valves don't work in pay a euro for air places any more

Which is almost word for word what the thread title is.
    How are people missing that?

Track pump for home; mini-pump or CO2 for the road.

Advertisement