Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it the water or my Hairdresser?? Help!!!

Options
  • 21-08-2017 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Not sure if i am posting this in the correct forum so apologies if i am not.
    I moved back from London about 6 months ago and since i moved back my hair has never been in such bad condition. I have highlighted hair but have had it highlighted for 15 years and it was been fine. Not it is so so dry, limp and just looks awful! My hairdresser said it is the water that is causing it, and i live in the Ranelagh area and the hairdresser said the water is hard around there. The apartment that i am living in is in older building but the water doesn't seem to be hard, as in there is no lime in the kettle......I'm not sure how else i would check. Even if it is hard water we had that at home and it never made my hair go like this :( I go to a well known hairdresser but the colour i am getting there is nice for about a week or so and then gets brassy. I know i can buy the purple shampoos to lift the colour but want to address the issue. Should i try a new hairdresser or is it more likely to be the water in the shower?
    any help or advice would be so so appreciated as i just HATE my hair at the moment :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It's unreal the difference location makes to my hair.
    Immediately, in the shower, I can notice a difference in texture. Definitely less frizzy away from the midlands and west.
    So I believe your hairdresser.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Another plus one for water affecting your highlights. My hairdresser has commented on this with my hair. Not much I can do about this, I ain't exactly gonna put in an expensive water system or sell the house cause the water affects my hair! I use a purple shampoo once a week.

But I was away for a night recently and washed my hair in the hotel and it made such a difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Its your water, depending on the location my hair goes dry, limp and dull, in the shower it gets knotted and feels really rough. If I wash my hair in soft water the difference is unreal, it feels and looks like ive gone to a salon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Would Ranelagh not be getting soft water being on the Southside? My Sister lives on the Northside and her daughter spends a few days with our parents on the Southside, the difference in her hair after getting it washed in my parents is huge it looks much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jenniiob

thanks for all your replies. Looks like i am stuck with it so. Bought a filter to attach to the shower head but don't think it is doing any good as my hair still looks awful and my highlights are so dull and brassy :( besides moving i can't think of what else to do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Jenniiob wrote: »
    thanks for all your replies. Looks like i am stuck with it so. Bought a filter to attach to the shower head but don't think it is doing any good as my hair still looks awful and my highlights are so dull and brassy :( besides moving i can't think of what else to do!

Get a wash and blow dry done once a week in a salon if you can afford it. Use dry shampoo in between. That's what my hairdresser (family friend- not looking for custom lol) once recommended when I asked her about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The filter should help somewhat. And it should come with a little water testing kit that helps you test how hard or chlorinated your water is. You can also do a hard water test yourself just google it. All you need is a water bottle and soap. I use Redken clarifying shampoo and I find it helps but really when you're washing your hair in that kind of water there's only so much a product can do. I feel your pain op. Does your shower have hard water residue build up around the shower door or around the plug? It'll look like calcium build up

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Another possibility.
    Were your highlights done with bleach or a highlift tint? I'm not a huge fan of highlift tints and prefer to use bleach plus low volume developer as it's much kinder to the hair.
    If it's going brassy quickly, it's possible that overlapping bleach or highlift tint onto the existing highlights has damaged the cuticle layer and so the toner is washing out quickly. It would also explain its current condition.

You could try a brightening shampoo to help with the brassy look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

That doesn’t make sense.
    Unless Ranelagh water supply has changed, it’s from
    The Stillorgan Resevoir system which is extremely soft.
    Does your kettle fur up?

The water in areas like Drumcondra is definitely hard, but not very hard.

The water in London is generally *very* hard, to the point you’ll often get lumps of lime in your tea.

Could it be the very humid weather?
    Or a change of shampoo formulation?

Also some showers simply don’t work very well. If you’ve gone from a decent shower to one of thos ‘electric trickles’ that poses as a shower, you might not be getting an adequate rinse.

High levels of chlorine in the water can cause hair to react. Does your water smell noticibly chlorinated ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

My hair would be the same and as someone mentioned I go for a blow dry once a week. The difference It has made to my hair is unreal, it's much more healthy looking and colour lasting better too. I think I was over washing it. The funny thing is, it rarely gets greasy now either, it's like it adapted.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

my sis asked me to get a thing in lush for her hair as shes living in a place with hard water - its a shampoo for hard water. comes in like a small shoe polish tin. she swears by it anyway

Advertisement