Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charges on unused Ulster Bank student account

• 21-08-2017 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hello all,
    I started a student bank account with Ulster bank approx 7 years ago.
    I never ended up using the account after placing an initial 5 euro deposit in it.
    I am now getting mail saying I have 60 euro worth of charges on a credit card account, I believe these stem from stamp duty on the credit card and fines on missed payments on it.
    Do I have any recourse here? It feels wrong that they push a credit card on me without my consent and then fine me for it.
    Appreciate any advice here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,263 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can't be given a credit card without your consent. I'd be asking them for copies of what was signed as it's improbable that a card would be issued many years after opening an account - likely to be a clerical error.

If its a case that the card was issued 7 years ago and stopped due to no payments then, its more likely that you did actually sign up to one without realising it was part of the offer - they won't write off stamp duty that was legitimately charged and I'd just pay it rather than spend weeks to months fighting something that is going to show as an unpaid credit card debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Similar situation, credit card issued when we got our mortgage, I never wanted nor needed the card. It was never activated or used and now I'm getting frequent calls and letters over a 60 euro govt stamp duty.
    They are relentless and won't take no for an answer, even threatening to report to the ICB.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Unfortunately don't have all the info as not at home where the letters are being sent. This seems to all apply to 2017 credit card account. I'm certain I never signed up for a credit card at any point after the initial setup, if I had signed up for one then I'm not sure why this would have only become an issue now.

Going to call them tomorrow see if they can shed any light, as much as it pains me to do it might just be best to pay it. I really do not appreciate the threatening language used on these letters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

kingtubby wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

Unfortunately don't have all the info as not at home where the letters are being sent. This seems to all apply to 2017 credit card account. I'm certain I never signed up for a credit card at any point after the initial setup, if I had signed up for one then I'm not sure why this would have only become an issue now.

Going to call them tomorrow see if they can shed any light, as much as it pains me to do it might just be best to pay it. I really do not appreciate the threatening language used on these letters!

Maybe somebody applied for a card in your name, intending to lift it from your mailbox and make use of it fraudulently. I know somebody who had a replacement card ordered by a fraudster in this way, and the card and pin number lifted from his mailbox the following week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Credit card or ATM card? There are also government duties on ATM cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

seagull wrote: »

Based on the number of years and the amount this seems more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

seagull wrote: »

Not likely debit/ATM stamp duty as this has always only been charged on such cards that have actually been used during the preceding calendar year.

Stamp duty on credit cards applies whether the card has been used or not but at €30 per year, the outstanding charges here only relate to two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

Update on this in case anyone is wondering.
    I spoke to the bank today, apparently I had a credit card since opening the bank account. I was never charged before because they had a policy of not apply stamp duty to inactive accounts(this credit card would have never been used once).
    Apparently the government forced them to apply the charges to inactive accounts this year. They agreed to close my account without applying charges so that was the ideal resolution. From the phone call I got the impression I wasn't the first person that ran into this issue.

Advertisement