Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My witness don't speak English for civil marriage in Ireland

Options
  • 21-08-2017 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I m getting married this week in Ireland, and my family is coming over and I really want my brother to be my witness, but he doesn't speak english, some basic stuff only. Now wondering if I will have a problem with that? He understands ceremony and everything but if they start asking him questions he will freeze.
    What actually they might ask him?
    And do they mind if we help him to understand if they ask him something?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Your witnesses just sign the marriage registration form after you and your wife/husband. They won't be asked anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mr.morphe

Thanks! That's good news! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

mr.morphe wrote: »
    Thanks! That's good news! :)

Enjoy your day!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Make sure your witness brings some kind of photo ID with his date of birth on it as they can ask for that. Thats more to ensure the witness is over 18 though. But otherwise you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

I'm pretty sure on the documents you get from your pre registry meeting it states the witness gas to speak fluent English. Check with the people in the HSE. They'll be able to tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Civil Registration Act 2004 s. 51(6)(a): "If . . . one of the witnesses to the solemnisation does not have a sufficient knowledge of the language of the ceremony to understand the ceremony and that language, the parties to the marriage shall arrange for the translation during the ceremony of the words of the ceremony into a language known to the person by an interpreter (not being a party or a witness to the marriage) present at the ceremony."

So, there you go. If your solemnizer realises that one of your witnesses cannot follow the ceremony, he'll have a problem proceeding without an interpreter. You don't want this to come up for the first time on the day, so talk to your solemniser in advance. If you do decide to bring an interpreter, be aware that there are requirements for the interpreter to provide documentation as to his competence in the language concerned, etc. Your solemniser will be familiar (or will familiarise himself) with these requirements.

There's no requirement, though, that the ceremony be celebrated in English. It can be celebrated in any language as long as the solemniser, the couple and the witnesses all have a sufficient grasp of that language to understand the ceremony.

Advertisement