Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ehh axing discussion on a discussion forum

Options
  • 21-08-2017 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭

Ok something that highlights how bad this site has become.

Last night Sunday 20th August at 22.14 a thread was started in After Hours titled How to stop terrorist attacks throughout Europe.

Now a lot of people would consider that a very valid questions and given the latest slaughter one would consider it worthy of discussion by most people.
    By 12.45 Monday 21st it had 125 posts.

Then at 12.46 it was shuttled into Politics Cafe where a mod proudly and emphatically told posters it was now subject to Politics charter.
    Of course a couple of other mods could not help but thank the posting mod for their great work.

11 posts later at approx. 13.43 it was closed.
    No explanation, end of discussion.

And thank you for proving to all an sundry my post at 12.55 and I quote "And another inconvenient discussion on boards 2017 comes to an end."

Yep folks political discussion on boards is alive and well.

And then people wonder why the site is dying. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I had a look at that thread and you are correct that it has been closed and no explanation was posted.

you are incorrect however in the motivation behind the closing of the thread.

The thread started in After Hours and rolled along quite well. AH has a policy to move political threads out to either the politics forum (if its new enough and fits Politic's strict posting rules) or the Politics Cafe.

The thread was moved to Politics by accident where a politics mod politely informed posters that the thread was subject to the politics charter for posting and reminded posters to familiarise themselves with the rules if they had not done so already. It should be noted that this was a practise that arose out of user feedback where posters could fall foul of different rules if they weren't warned that a thread had been moved.

aside #1:
    Please note this thread has been moved to Politics and the Politics charter now applies. Make sure you've read it, if you haven't already.

Thanks

If that's proud and emphatic then I hope you are not an actor/public speaker in real life...... that reads as polite and informative to me. Almost bordering on deadpan. I was expecting something a lot more gloaty altogether and maybe a bit jackboot stompy.

also, fairly sure johnnycivic and ancapailldorca thanked the post to say "thanks for posting this. we came here to do it but we see that you have done so already" but in the absence of absolute proof of this innocent reason it would also be perfectly reasonable to assume that they were being evil. You however have decided to recognise their work as great. I am sure they will get a warm fuzzy feeling about that.

At 13:43 the thread was closed so it could be moved: again a process that came out of feedback. Lock a thread before you move it, let the mods on the receiving end open it when they are happy its ok for their forum style/rules and they can post the welcome/change of location message. The thread was locked and moved to Politics Cafe where it was a better fit. Politics cafe mods have not been online by the looks of it to open it (I shall drop them a line to bring it to their attention)

aside #2:
    in the first 14 hours of life for that thread it averaged 9 posts an hour while it was in AH.

in Politics it got 10 posts in one hour, discounting your "dooom" prediction. yes, I can see how the move to Politics killed the post rate. late night + morning vs lunchtime would have to be counted in there somewhere too of course.

From the mod log I would imagine the mods tried to move it earlier (I think around 8am) but the cloudflare issue was probably still causing problems so it didn't move (it was locked by an AH mod in preparation) so it was re-opened for posting in AH until another mod could give it a go.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll pass it along to the PC mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

That thread has been re-opened with a note from the mods to read the charter.

closing this one as resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement