Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to be mortgage free

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

mariaalice wrote: »
    It is amazing the views some people have of the Ireland outside of Dublin or other large urban areas.

It's a genuine question. As a previous poster mentioned people in the countryside can be very cliquish and make it difficult for "blow ins" to be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I have lived in several different areas outside Dublin and never once felt there was an issue with being a blow in.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

MSVforever wrote: »
    It's a genuine question. As a previous poster mentioned people in the countryside can be very cliquish and make it difficult for "blow ins" to be accepted.
    And people from Dublin can be very cliquish and make it difficult for "Culchies" to be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I wonder is it an Irish thing the ideas that all life revolves around a big city in .i.e Dublin and to a lesser extent Cork Galway and Limerick and rural areas are odd and clannish. My brother and sister in law in the UK have moved a few time for work around the UK, its very common nobody thinks anything of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 spare_change

youghall is a poor choice , that town was doing better in 1987 than 2017 , its a town of past glories

were i to move to any place outside of dublin , it would be limerick city , its absurdly cheap for an urban area of its size , as recent as two years ago , it was 40% cheaper for a house than galway city despite being the same size , its about 30% cheaper today than galway , its cheaper than any town in meath , kildare or wicklow with a population of more than five thousand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 spare_change

marialice , the brits are different to us , new zealand is like you described in the uk , even in rural areas , people take no notice of each other , you could have a dutch or south african guy buying a sheep or dairy farm in rural new zealand and nothing would be thought of it , that doesnt happen here , the upside is that rural communities are more tight knit but only for locals or people who are of " stock "

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Mirror game

MSVforever wrote: »

What is meant by "the countryside" because outside of Dublin and it's commuter towns, I reckon the vast majority of people in the ROI live in, Cork, Limerick, Galway their commuter towns and then roughly the top 1 or 2 towns in each county. You couldn't be a "blow in " if you tried in any of these places. So what are talking about when the say "blow ins"?
    Even if you took a town with say 1o thousand people it would have thousands more within 10/15mins drive of that town. I don't know but you'd have hundreds possibly even a thousand moving into and away from such an Urban center each year.
    Someone above mentioned difficulty with going exercise classes and I'm sure that kinda thing is an issue in some places but for the vast majority who live outside Dublin it isn't an issue also the vast majority who live outside Dublin wouldn't move into a place like that in a million years.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Mirror game

youghall is a poor choice , that town was doing better in 1987 than 2017 , its a town of past glories

were i to move to any place outside of dublin , it would be limerick city , its absurdly cheap for an urban area of its size , as recent as two years ago , it was 40% cheaper for a house than galway city despite being the same size , its about 30% cheaper today than galway , its cheaper than any town in meath , kildare or wicklow with a population of more than five thousand
    Agreed, a nice area of Limerick or some of the surrounding towns would be a good move and very affordable. One of the main reasons and a very important consideration is 3rd level education as this is one problem that comes at people fast. Finding suitable work is also gonna be much easier being near Limerick.
    I know a couple who were living in a house the guy had inherited in the north-side of Dublin. They were very close to taking out €200,000 to do a Dermot Bannon job on the house but decided against it in the end.Because they were both working ****ty jobs they sold the house as it was and bought a business + very modest accommodation down the country before their children started school.
    They didn't have a clue starting out but because the didn't have many expenses the were able make a real go of the business over the last year, making much more then their previous jobs. They're now already on the hunt for a new dream home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

We did it fourteen years ago, albeit in a more drastic fashion, moving country too. We took the children out of smalll city school at the end of October 2003, exchanged contracts a day or two later, and bought mortgage free in the "middle of nowhere" a few months later.

More than a decade later, it was definitely the best decision we could have made. Sure, there were compromises and consequences arising from the move, but when I look at hectic lives of my city-dwelling siblings, I have no desire to go back to that way of living. Any lingering doubts on that score were thoroughly killed off earlier this year when I did a series of short-term contracts in a similar environment - listening to so many of my work colleagues complain about how they were up to their eyeballs in debt (mainly mortgage) and needed all the hours of work they could get.

I listened in on a conversation between one of my sisters and one of my cousins a few years back, on the topic of choosing schools. My sister (Dublin-dweller) was talking about the challenge of trying to get a place in the "best" school; my cousin (who happens to live in the Longford-Roscommon area) remarked that she didn't have that stress - all the children went to the one and only local school and that was that (same way ours did, in France). Her eldest son and mine both ended up getting their first choice courses in UCD.

When it comes to travelling and transport, yes, you need to be independent, but our experience has been that you'll also find the actual travel times aren't really an awful lot different. As a jealous city resident once remarked to me, in the time it takes me to get from my appartment to the ground floor and down the road to the bus-stop, you're already half-way to your destination!

As long as you don't expect to lead a city lifestyle out in the sticks, it can be every bit as fulfilling (and that goes for teenagers too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It depends on where you are planning to live, there are some places in rural Ireland I would not want to live if I had the choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

Thinking of doing this I live in bray and could move back to Galway and be mortgage free working on my husband his bit reluctant due to jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

want to spark this thread back up...
    any changes in anyones life?

We're back looking at this again....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Emme wrote: »

People in the countryside can be very cliquey and unfriendly. I agree that being mortgage free is very attractive but think carefully about moving out of the city. Once you leave you cannot go back and if you don't like where you are you are stuck and have to put up with it.

Depending on how rural an area you move to, you may find that the local GAA club is the only social outlet. This happened to friends of mine, and they HATE GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

I think if work allowed there is no better county in Ireland than Kerry to move to and I am from the North East of Leinster.

It has everything (well jobs maybe an issue for some), airprort, trains, Good hospital, Tralee IT and not far from UCC in Cork or UL in Limerick.

You could literally pick something different to do every weekend in Kerry from April until September and not get bored.

I actually find the people down there so much warmer and friendlier than up here. It’s almost like they never experienced the Celtic tiger and so still kept their old traditional Irish ways of life.
    I would love to move down there full time.

North Kerry in places like Ballyheigue,Banna, Ballyduff and Ballybunion be ideal locations.
    You have fabulous blue flag gold sand beaches, gaelic, Hurling and surfing.

House prices are reasonable outside of Dingle and Killarney both are expensive.

If I could convince the Fiancée and child I would move tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Depending on how rural an area you move to, you may find that the local GAA club is the only social outlet. This happened to friends of mine, and they HATE GAA.

I lived in the city subburb for 3 years and ive been in a rural setting now for three years. The city years we only got to talking terms with one person in the whole estate. Everyone came home from work and scurried into their houses. There was nothing to do bar the pub.

Now i live on a 8 houses mile stretch and nothing but fields all round. 3km from the nearest little village. It couldnt get more rural, And we know everyone, we have kids birthdays, drinks, bbqs. You walk up the road and it can take two hours as your having chats and cups of tea. At the end of the summer we have a big pig on a spit mini festival.

We've two great primary and secondary schools with no waiting lists. Soccer, hockey, gaa, sailing, playgrounds, art gallerys, yoga, farmers markets and i can be at the beach surfing in 35mins.

Commute to work in the city takes 20mins.

The quality of life is the main draw.

Advertisement