Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are you towing your caravan with?

• 21-08-2017 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on changing the car later in the year. I'm also looking at second hand caravans at the moment, a small-ish 4 berth is fine for our needs. With the laws so strict on towing weights, I'm interested to see what combinations of cars and caravans everyone else has. Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,627 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

oakshade wrote: »
    I'm planning on changing the car later in the year. I'm also looking at second hand caravans at the moment, a small-ish 4 berth is fine for our needs. With the laws so strict on towing weights, I'm interested to see what combinations of cars and caravans everyone else has. Thanks for your input.
    I've a Mondeo 1.8 petrol that can tow a 5 berth single axle pretty comfortably and combined weight is less than the 3.5 t so i don't need a trailer licence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

1.9 diesel Passat, single axle 6 berth fixed bed at back (v long but relatively light). I did the BE test just to be sure to be sure, but think am fine on the weights.

Diesel can be good as good torque for towing and tend to be heavier (above all else you want the car a good bit heavier than the caravan so less chance of "push"). You can help by putting heavy stuff in the boot like spare gas cylinders etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Alkers

With the laws so strict on towing weights, I'm interested to see what combinations of cars and caravans everyone else has. .

You make it sound as if the laws are unreasonable!

The truth is most familly saloons and a mid-size caravan should be coming in below the 3,500 kg limit but depening on your tow vehicle you need to ensure it is comfortable with the weight of the caravan.

I prefer to have a heavy tow vehicle relative to the caravan and we use my Mazda Bongo camper (2,380 kg) and a 4-berth Avondale Corfu (1,100 kg) which leaves me just 20 kg shy of the 3,500 kg limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Simona1986 wrote:
    Simona1986 wrote:
    The truth is most familly saloons and a mid-size caravan should be coming in below the 3,500 kg limit but depening on your tow vehicle you need to ensure it is comfortable with the weight of the caravan.

You make a good point and I think the right tow car is key. I need to do my homework in advance (which is why I'm here). Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Seat Alhambra 1.9TD

tows a twin axle 6 berth with no problems at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭windmilllane

We have a quasqai 1.5 and hoping to invest in caravan next year. Will be be v limited. Just want 4 berth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I thought you needed a trailer licence once towing over 750kg regardless of whether you were below or above 3500kg train weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

martyc5674 wrote: »
    I thought you needed a trailer licence once towing over 750kg regardless of whether you were below or above 3500kg train weight.

Answer to my own question... good to know actually...

A category B driving licence authorises you to drive a car, van or 4 x 4 which has a maximum mass (as specified by the manufacturer) of not more than 3,500kg and is designed and constructed to carry no more than eight passengers in addition to the driver. You may tow a trailer with a maximum mass (again as specified by the manufacturer) not greater than 750kg, or where the maximum mass is more than 750kg, the combined maximum mass of the towing vehicle and the trailer is not greater than 3,500kg.
    A category BE driving licence authorises you to tow a trailer where the combined maximum mass of the towing vehicle and trailer is greater than 3,500kg.

We have a quasqai 1.5 and hoping to invest in caravan next year. Will be be v limited. Just want 4 berth

My OH drives one of these and I had pretty much ruled out towing anything with it due to the engine size, am I wrong?

I did a quick Google and it's advertising a towing limit of 1200kg (or 1195kg at 85% limit). Does it have the power and torque?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My OH drives one of these and I had pretty much ruled out towing anything with it due to the engine size, am I wrong?

I did a quick Google and it's advertising a towing limit of 1200kg (or 1195kg at 85% limit). Does it have the power and torque?

Have a look at this site.
    https://towcar.info/GB/
    or this one
    http://www.towsure.com/caravan-car-outfit-matcher

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote:
    Have a look at this site.

Thanks, great site!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Deeman83

Honda CRV 2013 Petrol 4WD.
    Nice and heavy, great stability, good do with more torque but I dont take it up too many mountains!
    Pulling a 6berth single axles, MTPLM 1650kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,642 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

2.0l 140bhp Volkswagen Tiguan 4wd, towing a single axle 4 berth Swift.

Tiguan is comfortable, strong and economical towing.

Downside is the bootspace is a bit tight and I’ve had a few electrical niggles.

Love driving it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Simona1986 wrote: »

I prefer to have a heavy tow vehicle relative to the caravan and we use my Mazda Bongo camper (2,380 kg) and a 4-berth Avondale Corfu (1,100 kg) which leaves me just 20 kg shy of the 3,500 kg limit.

how do you find towing with the bongo simona? I am planning on a caravn next year sometime and will be using the bong (once the head is done... grrrr)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Alkers

Great actually (except when looking at the fuel bill). I'd get under 20mpg when towing.
    Other than that it's fine, the bongo being heavy makes it comfortable, just check your caravan weight - you've about 1100kg gross before you need the trailer licence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Great actually (except when looking at the fuel bill). I'd get under 20mpg when towing.
    Other than that it's fine, the bongo being heavy makes it comfortable, just check your caravan weight - you've about 1100kg gross before you need the trailer licence!

Cheers Simona!

Advertisement