Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for ladies wrist watch for running

• 21-08-2017 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Looking to buy a present for someone who runs and I know some people have the likes of garmin watches which show heart rate etc... I was looking to buy a decent ladies running watch which has nice little features that would be good for a runner. I suppose it doesn't really have to be a lady's watch but something that would fit. Any recommendations? Would be spending between €200 - €300. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

fattymoon wrote: »
    Looking to buy a present for someone who runs and I know some people have the likes of garmin watches which show heart rate etc... I was looking to buy a decent ladies running watch which has nice little features that would be good for a runner. I suppose it doesn't really have to be a lady's watch but something that would fit. Any recommendations? Would be spending between €200 - €300. Thanks!

Garmin 235 is a popular choice - has wrist based HRM and can link to strap based HRM's..

Garmin are the front-runner for watches, they have the biggest market share I'd guess.. Alternatives are TomTom Cardio/Multisport, Polar M400 or Suunto Ambit3..

The 235 comes in different colours and you can swap the straps too thats something of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

jameshayes wrote: »
    Garmin 235 is a popular choice - has wrist based HRM and can link to strap based HRM's..

Garmin are the front-runner for watches, they have the biggest market share I'd guess.. Alternatives are TomTom Cardio/Multisport, Polar M400 or Suunto Ambit3..

The 235 comes in different colours and you can swap the straps too thats something of interest.

I have the 235 with HRM and i love it. It does everything i need for running and as a day to day watch but it's not awfully pretty, i take it off when i'm going out at night socializing or what have ya as it doesn't really cut it as a piece of jewelry :p The Garmin Vivoactive HR might be a little bit neater looking but i haven't seen one personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

+1 for the 235

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Another brand to keep an eye out for is Suunto. I have the Ambit 3 Vertical in blue and it gets admired quite a bit. Not a watch for going out but perfect for everyday use.

In terms of technology, the battery lasts much longer than the Garmin and it will work for cycling, swimming etc. so I think you get more bang for your buck. The Ambit 3 sport is selling for €178 on Wiggle at the moment. Check out the review by DC rainmaker here .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

I have tiny wrists and the 735xt is the best. I have a 230 also and its the same size as 235 and its very big tbh. The heart rate on it is dreadful also. Having returned 4/5 garmin over the years the 735 is the first watch that a year on I don't have a fault with. It is expensive though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

rom wrote:
    I have tiny wrists and the 735xt is the best. I have a 230 also and its the same size as 235 and its very big tbh. The heart rate on it is dreadful also. Having returned 4/5 garmin over the years the 735 is the first watch that a year on I don't have a fault with. It is expensive though.

I find the heart rate monitor on the 235 very good...no chest strap which is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The garmin 235 is going alot cheaper these days as its about to be replaced by the 245 in Sept/Oct. The 245 will offer some new features.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Neady83 wrote: »
    Another brand to keep an eye out for is Suunto. I have the Ambit 3 Vertical in blue and it gets admired quite a bit. Not a watch for going out but perfect for everyday use.

In terms of technology, the battery lasts much longer than the Garmin and it will work for cycling, swimming etc. so I think you get more bang for your buck. The Ambit 3 sport is selling for €178 on Wiggle at the moment. Check out the review by DC rainmaker here .

Was on a cycling trip a few years ago and two cyclists had Suuntos. Impressive piece of kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 fattymoon

Super, thanks so much for the recommendations everyone!

I find the heart rate monitor on the 235 very good...no chest strap which is great.
    Could be my small wrists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Might be a bit late with this one but the Garmin Vivoactive HR Smart Watch Down is Amazons Deal of the Day and reduced to approx €160. Excellent battery life and wrist based HR
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Vivo.../dp/B01BLQT7DM

cunavalos wrote: »
    Might be a bit late with this one but the Garmin Vivoactive HR Smart Watch Down is Amazons Deal of the Day and reduced to approx €160. Excellent battery life and wrist based HR
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Vivo.../dp/B01BLQT7DM

Read a full review before you buy comparing it to the 735 and you will see that it does have many issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 fattymoon

Hi all. I ordered the Garmin 235 with the turquoise strap (turquoise should suit a lady!). Yep the 245 is coming out soon, but had to order now as it's a present. Thanks again for the feedback!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hi all. I ordered the Garmin 235 with the turquoise strap (turquoise should suit a lady!). Yep the 245 is coming out soon, but had to order now as it's a present. Thanks again for the feedback!
    Good choice ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

Nice watch, I wish I had a friend like you to buy me a watch like that!!!:D

Advertisement