Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which mortgage should I pick?

Options
  • 21-08-2017 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

I have been offered Ulster bank at 2.6 fixed for 4 years

Or

Bank of Ireland fixed for 3 years at 3% plus 2 % cashback.
    The boi mortgage man told me that I would not be under any obligation to stay with them for any fixed term.

With boi the repayment would be 100e extra per month but approx 4000cheaper over 4 years. Yet I am fundamentally suspicious if boI!

Is there a catch here? What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

2.6% isn't bad for 4 years to be honest with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I saw a post over on askaboutmoney.com which had worked out the value of the offers. I think the BOI with cashback worked out at a rate of 2.53% with the cashback. If I can find it I'll post a link.

Found it

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/how-to-go-about-choosing-a-mortgage-best-buys-tables.204583/
    " It looks like the Best Buy is Bank of Ireland fixed for three years at 3.2%. That is cheaper than their 1 year rate and it is also cheaper than their 5 year rate. The 2% cash back brings the effective rate over three years down to 2.53%"

Plus you are 3 years fixed there not 4 years.

Advertisement