Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring costs

Options
  • 21-08-2017 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi. Recently moved into a 1970s house and it needs to be rewired, can anyone advise me what kinda costs are involved. It's a 3 bed detached property around 1000 square feet. Also the electrician mentioned that he thinks the house night need to be re plumbed as the pipes have gun barrel (noidea what that means)
    Thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ailo! wrote: »
    Hi. Recently moved into a 1970s house and it needs to be rewired, can anyone advise me what kinda costs are involved. It's a 3 bed detached property around 1000 square feet. Also the electrician mentioned that he thinks the house night need to be re plumbed as the pipes have gun barrel (noidea what that means)
    Thanks so much

Gun barrel is a pain and defo needs gone... It will eventually cause issues and any upgrades trying to tie in will cause even more issues.

I would say re wire up to around €5k depending and maybe a little less all depends what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ailo!

Gun barrel is a pain and defo needs gone... It will eventually cause issues and any upgrades trying to tie in will cause even more issues.

I would say re wire up to around €5k depending and maybe a little less all depends what you want.

Thanks for your reply. Any idea what kinda cost involved for re plumbing the whole house. It's turning out to be more work than we thought

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ailo! wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. Any idea what kinda cost involved for re plumbing the whole house. It's turning out to be more work than we thought

It is best get it done before you decide on doing floors and re decoration.

Plumbing I couldn't tell cost but be worth trying a few different ones and same for sparks.

Get quotes and also look into adding an alarm system while at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ailo!

It is best get it done before you decide on doing floors and re decoration.

Plumbing I couldn't tell cost but be worth trying a few different ones and same for sparks.

Get quotes and also look into adding an alarm system while at it.
    Thanks a mil, we have alarm fitted but think I have to get that sorted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Getting quoted between 6-8k at the moment for electrical rewire on similar sized 3 bed with extension.

Re-plumbing ~15k

That's through main contractors and there's other works happening.

Personally - I think you would get it cheaper going direct to plumber/sparks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Tederick

Hello

Can you advise bought bungalow in midlands needs a bit of work small 4 bed got a quote of €22000 for replumbing and € 9000 for rewiring from a builder I think this is way too much? There is other work being done but he came back at massive costs and these I thought I could check quickly. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Tederick wrote:
    Can you advise bought bungalow in midlands needs a bit of work small 4 bed got a quote of €22000 for replumbing and € 9000 for rewiring from a builder I think this is way too much? There is other work being done but he came back at massive costs and these I thought I could check quickly. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated

Why use a builder. Get quotes for individual plumbers and electrician.

Hi
    A lot of renovation and was getting the whole job done rather than bits and pieces but think he might be just loading everything? Are those prices reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Those prices seem very very excessive. Get at least 3 quotes and you will see the difference in price re; rewiring and replumbing

Thanks evosteo think he is a bit of a chance hard to get builders at moment to quote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Tederick wrote: »
    Are those prices reasonable?
    Impossible to answer without a spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The difference between the mec and elec is against the norm.

Have you solar thermal going in and getting grants back ?

I'd get it externally insulted too. Easy job on a bungalow, fantastic results

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Between 5 and 6k was what I was quoted from several different electricians for a rewire, 3bed with converted attic.
    And that plumbing quote is most likely an F-off quote I'd say. That seems really excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AltFact

Replumb quote sound v expensive comparing to want I got on a 2000sqft house in mid west
    ~10K for combi system
    ~13K for condensing system, moving of hotpress, solar ready
    includes VAT

Advertisement