Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No words nearly 12 months

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Zebra2016

volchitsa wrote: »
    As parents, I often think part of the difficulty in identifying whether a problem is serious, or even whether it's real or not, is that with big familes in the past, young parents, mothers anyway, would have grown up helping out with all sorts of child minding, and so would have more hands on experience themselves. That's less true nowadays, and the first child is often the only one that a young mum has ever had real responsibility for.

That's why I think talking to other people, and particularly asking various experts' opinion is a really useful aid - not to replace your own opinions, but to help you be more confident in forming your own.

I 100% agree with it, I think you have touched on the bigger issue here. I had very little exposure to young babies, like many of my generation, so it was steep learning!! I found the same with breastfeeding, I had no one to ask but a public health nurse, as my mom or no one around me had breastfed. Then I joined a breastfeeding group. Life has certainly changed, and I do think it takes more than a person or a couple to rear a child. I realise this more than ever in the first 5 months when my little one slept so little, we thought we might go mad, we were at our wits end and looking back I wished we asked for more help from family. We tried to do most of it ourselves and I think we felt bad even asking family for any help.

And grannies are so good with babies, their intuitive knowledge and just love is so nurturing. I love to hear others opinions and learn as much as I can from experienced others, but at the same time, I am quite clear about how I want my child to be reared.

Thanks for posting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

It's very hard to know at this age, it's a very in between age where they're not newborn babies anymore but their skills in different areas haven't developed fully yet either.

My little boy has just turned 1 and he isn't babbling as much as he was even a month ago but I do think he's concentrating more on getting on his feet. He's cruising around the furniture too. He is very into exploring around the house. He's too busy to stop and chat!

I talk to him a lot over the day, I was very conscious of this with my girl too. He has picked up some words like teddy, daddy, mama, uh oh, dog, ball/dall, banana/nana. He does seem to have good comprehension.

My little girl is fantastic with him and she has brought him on a lot from imitating her play. I remember when my little girl was 1, I used to get so frustrated that she didn't want to build a tower with me but I've since learnt that she just didn't have any interest in playing with bricks/blocks.

Keep the chat going with her. Like I said it's a very tough stage to know if you should have genuine concerns or it's a developmental milestone delay.

Children can be great in some areas and just not pick up skills as quick in others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

It's very hard to know at this age, it's a very in between age where they're not newborn babies anymore but their skills in different areas haven't developed fully yet either.

My little boy has just turned 1 and he isn't babbling as much as he was even a month ago but I do think he's concentrating more on getting on his feet. He's cruising around the furniture too. He is very into exploring around the house. He's too busy to stop and chat!

I talk to him a lot over the day, I was very conscious of this with my girl too. He has picked up some words like teddy, daddy, mama, uh oh, dog, ball/dall, banana/nana. He does seem to have good comprehension.

My little girl is fantastic with him and she has brought him on a lot from imitating her play. I remember when my little girl was 1, I used to get so frustrated that she didn't want to build a tower with me but I've since learnt that she just didn't have any interest in playing with bricks/blocks.

Keep the chat going with her. Like I said it's a very tough stage to know if you should have genuine concerns or it's a developmental milestone delay.

Children can be great in some areas and just not pick up skills as quick in others.

Laughing to myself here as my son is only just now building towers (with duplo) and he's 2 1/2! He just had no interest before now

Laughing to myself here as my son is only just now building towers (with duplo) and he's 2 1/2! He just had no interest before now

If I bought all the blocks in China, my wee girl wouldn't play with them. It's funny how they have their unique wee interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Someone (forget who now) told me that often when babies start to walk their speech skills drop back a little, as though they can't really concentrate on both at once, and I sort of think I noticed that a bit with mine - the two that talked earlyish (my second and third) walked later and were less physically active when they were small.

• Advertisement

volchitsa wrote: »
    Someone (forget who now) told me that often when babies start to walk their speech skills drop back a little, as though they can't really concentrate on both at once, and I sort of think I noticed that a bit with mine - the two that talked earlyish (my second and third) walked later and were less physically active when they were small.

Definitely find that too. My girl walked very late but had very clear speech from a young age. She would sit and look at books with me for a long period of time.
    My boy is very busy and definitely wants to be on the move more. He wriggles away if I browse through books for too long.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Laughing a little myself here too....my second loves her dolls and buggies and always has.No.1 wouldn't give them the time of day! Not every child is interested in everything, they gravitate towards certain things over others, but with your first you don't really realise that.

Also, PM sent OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Zebra2016

Thanks very much for that. Yeah, I very much agree that it is an in between stage. Interestingly, since initially writing my first post, I do see progress, maybe not with words but with social interaction, like little games of chase, and lots of laughing. And she properly waved back at her granny today a few times, so was delighted to see that. Like your little one, she is busy and sometimes it seems like she is too busy for chatting!! My got instinct now is that I need to be patient and her understanding and words will come in the next few months. Thanks for sharing your experience

Advertisement