Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday pay when leaving job?

Options
  • 21-08-2017 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

I have been working at a job full time for nearly 4 months and I have decided that I will be leaving next week for another job (part time). The main reason for this is that my current job is not able to work around my college schedule for the academic year.

After hours or searching online, I still don't understand whether or not I will be receiving holiday pay that I have accumulated over the course of the 4 months that I have worked. The holiday pay in my case is calculated as 8% of all the hours worked by the rate of pay which comes out to be a fairly decent sum. I haven't requested/received holiday pay from the company as I did not take any holidays during the summer year.

If I am eligible to receive holiday pay, how do I receive it on my final payslip. Do I write out a form or email the manager? I don't want to ask the manager about holiday pay as I am honestly leaving the company very unexpectedly and at a bad time.

Main question: Will I get holiday pay that is owed to me when leaving my job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

DenisG98 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have been working at a job full time for nearly 4 months and I have decided that I will be leaving next week for another job (part time). The main reason for this is that my current job is not able to work around my college schedule for the academic year.

After hours or searching online, I still don't understand whether or not I will be receiving holiday pay that I have accumulated over the course of the 4 months that I have worked. The holiday pay in my case is calculated as 8% of all the hours worked by the rate of pay which comes out to be a fairly decent sum. I haven't requested/received holiday pay from the company as I did not take any holidays during the summer year.

If I am eligible to receive holiday pay, how do I receive it on my final payslip. Do I write out a form or email the manager? I don't want to ask the manager about holiday pay as I am honestly leaving the company very unexpectedly and at a bad time.

Main question: Will I get holiday pay that is owed to me when leaving my job?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/annual_leave_public_holidays.html
    If you are leaving a job you are entitled to receive payment for any outstanding annual leave and public holidays due to you.

Any holiday entitlement you have accrued will be paid on your final payslip. That's how it's always been done for me. You shouldn't have to request them. Just make sure it's been calculated correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Jayop wrote: »
    Any holiday entitlement you have accrued will be paid on your final payslip

Probably should read " ... should be paid"! I think it would be no harm to ask the question from whoever does the payroll. Much easier to sort it out before you leave than after!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I'd definitely mention it to your manager or payroll department OP. As another poster said it should be paid, but these things can sometimes slip through the cracks. Just send an email/give a call saying you haven't taken any holiday leave since you started, and you wanted to ensure the balance of holiday pay owed to you would be included in your final payslip.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

They may also make/let you use the leave to shorten your notice period, instead of paying you extra. You'd still be paid for those days.

Advertisement