Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

40% protein for six pack abs

• 22-08-2017 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26 The Omen II

Apparently this is the way to go to get the abs you want. I tried eating 40 percent my calories the past two days on trial just to see and i dont think its sustainable. It seems an awful lot of protein to cook.
    Has anyone done it on less? I think 25% will be enough.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

And what percentage for bulging biceps?

You're not gonna have abs on 40% of 10,000 calories a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Apparently this is the way to go to get the abs you want. I tried eating 40 percent my calories the past two days on trial just to see and i dont think its sustainable. It seems an awful lot of protein to cook.
    Has anyone done it on less? I think 25% will be enough.

This is 100% bullsh*t!!

Your abominals are muscles and just like every other muscle in the body, they do need protein for repair to recover from the stress placed on them in a training session. That's how it works in terms of developing the abdominal muscles.

So, assuming you have developed your abs sufficiently through training and good nutrition - if you want to be able to see them, you need to get down to a low bodyfat percentage. To do this, you need to eat less calories than you are using on a daily basis for a prolonged period of time, i.e. a calorie deficit. The period of time required will depend on how much bodyfat you need to lose and the calorie deficit for an average person would be about 500 calories, depending on weight and other factors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If 40% was too much protein to ge through in a day. Then chances are your total intake is too high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 The Omen II

Im talking about 2000 calories a day. That equates to 800 calories in protein.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    If 40% was too much protein to ge through in a day. Then chances are your total intake is too high

All this talk of percentages has made me curious to see what percentages my calories were working out at. I use 1.3-1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass as my guide to protein intake, so all of this percentage business is slightly foreign.

I worked it out and they are as follows:
    Current bulk diet: Fats 16%; Carbs 56%; Protein 27% (percentages of 3,600 calories);
    Planned cutting diet: Fats 21%; Carbs 46%; Protein 33% (percentages of 2,600 calories).

D
    Mellor wrote: »

All this talk of percentages has made me curious to see what percentages my calories were working out at. I use 1.3-1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass as my guide to protein intake, so all of this percentage business is slightly foreign.

I worked it out and they are as follows:
    Current bulk diet: Fats 16%; Carbs 56%; Protein 27% (percentages of 3,600 calories);
    Planned cutting diet: Fats 21%; Carbs 46%; Protein 33% (percentages of 2,600 calories).
    Are you ripped?I mean can you see your abs on your bulking diet?

D

Are you ripped?

Judge for yourself: https://www.instagram.com/richard_kelly_/

Wouldn't be ripped while bulking on a calorie surplus (i.e. daily intake of 3,600 calories). At the end of a cutting program of 16 weeks on calorie deficit that is done properly, then yes I (or anyone else for that matter) would be ripped.

Cool. Those pictures are of you on your bulking diet?

Cool. Those pictures are of you on your bulking diet?

No, any of the professional ones are not, they were during/ towards the end of a cut. Anything that's not a professional one in the last 3-4 weeks is during the bulk.

To answer your question about seeing your abs when bulking though. If you are in calorie surplus, you will put on body fat and therefore the muscles would look less defined because there is a thicker layer of fat over them. Basically, definition in your abs or biceps or chest or any other muscle group will only show if you have low body fat. To lose body fat, you need to eat less calories than you burn off, it is that simple. If seeing your abs is what you're looking to achieve, forget about % of protein, just focus on calories in vs calories out- once you have that worked out, you can then think about what Macronutrients your calories in are made up of. For abs, the actual ab training and core stability training you do are also important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Im talking about 2000 calories a day. That equates to 800 calories in protein.
    So 200g protein.
    A bit excessive but by means an impossible target.

Advertisement