Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will Brexit affect Sligo?

Options
  • 22-08-2017 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm creating this thread because I've seen on some of the other threads that some of ye like to talk about it. Also making sure the other threads stay on their own topic too so talk away!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Vlove wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I'm creating this thread because I've seen on some of the other threads that some of ye like to talk about it. Also making sure the other threads stay on their own topic too so talk away!

Many different levels to it Vlove, on both local and national. Depends if it's a hard or soft border, will the CTA be under threat, what does Europe have to say. The UK Government were so under prepared for a Yes vote, the Irish Government less so.

It's a Sh!t Storm of epic proportions. One one hand you could say people will do more shopping in Sligo again if have hassle going to Enniskillen, on the other hand, trade could be affected here, possibly on a tourism level, if none EU citizens can't come down here, or if GB and NI Citizens face delays coming this way.

Not sure it will affect us as quite as much as the Border Counties, who might be hit harder, even though we are only 30 to 40 minutes from the nearest border point, am sure there will be a knock on be1 that trade or infrastructure, or more.

What do you think your self?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Falling GBP isn't helping.

The euro reached 91p yesterday, a more than five year high.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Many different levels to it Vlove, on both local and national. Depends if it's a hard or soft border, will the CTA be under threat, what does Europe have to say. The UK Government were so under prepared for a Yes vote, the Irish Government less so.

It's a Sh!t Storm of epic proportions. One one hand you could say people will do more shopping in Sligo again if have hassle going to Enniskillen, on the other hand, trade could be affected here, possibly on a tourism level, if none EU citizens can't come down here, or if GB and NI Citizens face delays coming this way.

Not sure it will affect us as quite as much as the Border Counties, who might be hit harder, even though we are only 30 to 40 minutes from the nearest border point, am sure there will be a knock on be1 that trade or infrastructure, or more.

What do you think your self?
    I honestly dont know Mintsauce because they really didnt have a plan b when the voting was in that the UK is leaving the EU. I hope that they never close the border up in Enniskillen because honestly, we need to move forward rather than the past where it was extreme during the troubles during the early 90s. Although I never experienced the borders being there because I wasnt born then but no one seems to want the borders back like.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Vlove wrote: »
    I honestly dont know Mintsauce because they really didnt have a plan b when the voting was in that the UK is leaving the EU. I hope that they never close the border up in Enniskillen because honestly, we need to move forward rather than the past where it was extreme during the troubles during the early 90s. Although I never experienced the borders being there because I wasnt born then but no one seems to want the borders back like.

Even though I am London born and raised, I spent many childhood holidays here, and old enough to remember the borders during the 80s. The RUC/British Army on one side, and the Guards on the other, manning the main routes such as Belcoo/Blacklion, between Beleck/Ballyshannon, and Derry/Letterkenny, also barricads on the smaller back roads.

No one wants anything remotely close to that again, not just due to the restriction free travel we have enjoyed due to both the CTA and both being in the EU, but also down to how far we have come since the peace process, the implications it will have on the GFA, and the already fragile power sharing in the North.

Advertisement