Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoCar car sharing now has a vehicle in the city

Options
  • 22-08-2017 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭

Spotted over the weekend - GoCar has finally come to Galway. So far only one car, based at Ceannt Station. They say they're in discussion with the council re getting spots for more.

Want to know more www.GoCar.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I've used this in Dublin in the past very handy service

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Spotted over the weekend - GoCar has finally come to Galway. So far only one car, based at Ceannt Station. They say they're in discussion with the council re getting spots for more.

Want to know more www.GoCar.ie

Looks to be aimed at the Dublin users Mrs OBumble based on location?
    Have ya signed up? Once they have a few more vehicles in the city (especially a van) can see myself signing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Pretty good location for lots of inner city residents, too.

Yup, I've signed up, only costs a tenner to do so at the moment, and it's a sign-up to use the scheme nationwide. I'm going to book it for an hour just to take a spin and see how it works one day soon.

Looks like GoCar have a deal going with Irish Rail - they have cars at railway stations in various towns in the midlands too.

I'm guessing the negotiation with the council re expansion is sticky. Likely the by-laws don't really provide for commercial operators who want to use the streets like this.

I'm guessing the negotiation with the council re expansion is sticky. Likely the by-laws don't really provide for commercial operators who want to use the streets like this.
    How much they forgo in parking charges could be the sticky point?
    Seen as gocar.ie is already in Dublin or Cork, it will happen here also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

There seems to be a very narrow market for this - between the taxi and the car rental markets. Can't think of a use case I would have for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

J o e wrote: »
    There seems to be a very narrow market for this - between the taxi and the car rental markets. Can't think of a use case I would have for it.

We're a one car family because neither of us have to drive to our employment. But there are a couple of occasions each month where we need to borrow the car of an obliging relative for a couple of hours. This would be a good alternative for us. I also know of families living and working in the city centre, who don't own a car, and I imagine it would be useful to them too. In the end it can create its own demand by making not owning a car a viable option for a greater number of people.

They'be been operating successfully first in Cork and also in Dublin for several years now, so they must have a market.

I can think of a number of use-cases:

A person from Dublin coming here for a job interview or work meeting: steps off the train and into a car. Sure a taxi is as good for the first part - but the GoCar is immediately available to go back to the station afterwards.

As a car-free inner city resident, I usually carry all my groceries home from the supermarket. But occasionally I need to get something larger home. A car which is guaranteed available at the time I've book it is far more attractive than a taxi.

Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I could see this being handy for those of us with occasional/irregular car needs. Might have to crunch the numbers and see if the numbers work out.

Is it just Dublin and Cork that they have other depots?

I've never rented a car in Ireland but a quick look suggests the €60 with GoCar is competitive. Is there cheaper options if I shop around?

xckjoo wrote: »
    I've never rented a car in Ireland but a quick look suggests the €60 with GoCar is competitive. Is there cheaper options if I shop around?

I spent a couple of years without a car and rented weekends when I needed. Used to be about €47 for Friday to Monday with Enterprise. Looks to be €60 now. Seems like better value if you need the car.

For groceries or bringing large items home, a taxi seems much cheaper and easier option to me. No real shortage of taxis in Galway unless it's race week.

• Advertisement

I spent a couple of years without a car and rented weekends when I needed. Used to be about €47 for Friday to Monday with Enterprise. Looks to be €60 now. Seems like better value if you need the car.

For groceries or bringing large items home, a taxi seems much cheaper and easier option to me. No real shortage of taxis in Galway unless it's race week.

€47 a day or for the weekend? Taxis get expensive if you've a few stops.

I think the biggest x-factor would be the impact on your insurance if you didn't have any for a few years and went back. They really have us by the balls :mad:

Did a quick price check...

To rent from Enterprise from today and drop back on Monday...

426135.png

Or if you can give them more notice and book more in advance...

426136.png

They'll also pick you up for free.

The above prices include a basic insurance with a high excess, they'll try sell you a lower excess. Instead get car hire excess insurance to insure against the excess, €2.99/day or €49.99/year.

€47 a day or for the weekend?

For the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

More than one car please!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Their market isn't for people who want to use it for a weekend - hire companies do that. It's for people who regularly need a car for a few hours for shopping or visits to someone. if you rarely use the car you currently have then this is a good option, tied in with car-hire for weekends away or longer journeys. Most people would be paying a couple of grand a year when insurance/tax/nct/servicing is taken into account, if you only really need a car a couple of times a week then this becomes an option.

Is it just Dublin and Cork that they have other depots?

No depots (well not open to the public), just cars. All booking / paperwork is done on-line, you just pick up the car from it's park using your smartphone or membership card.

Here's a pic of their current locations - see their website for specifics:

426151.PNG

Another benefit is that you can pick up and deliver 24x7 - unlike rental companies where you can only do it during their office hours. (Budget in Galway let you do after-hours drop-offs, Enterprise don't.) And rental is charged per hour, not per 1/2 day. Which can make a big difference if you just need it for a short trip.

Also last minute bookings are charged at the same rate as ones made well in advance. With a hire-company, you need to book at least a day or two in advance, and late bookings the price goes up a lot.

(I sound like a shill for them .. but I'm not. They inspired me to put a list of vehicle rental options onto GalwayTransport.info, that's the only link I have to them. Just think it's a fantastic tool in the overall plan of reducing car dependence and right-sizing the transport options available to people.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Their market isn't for people who want to use it for a weekend - hire companies do that. It's for people who regularly need a car for a few hours for shopping or visits to someone. if you rarely use the car you currently have then this is a good option, tied in with car-hire for weekends away or longer journeys. Most people would be paying a couple of grand a year when insurance/tax/nct/servicing is taken into account, if you only really need a car a couple of times a week then this becomes an option.

Ya we use a similar service in London.
    We have no need for a car permanently and we have a hourly car parked around the corner from the house so just rent once every two weeks to do a big shop and the occasional day trip somewhere.

Anyone that's signed up able to see how well booked the car is?

One concern I'd have is you're pretty much liable for any damage to the car while it's left parked until the next user takes it out. It's the next user that inspects it for damage.

You would also want to be careful not to be stuck in one of Galway's regular city-wide traffic jams as the fees are pretty steep...
    • Late fee: double the hourly rate
    • Late fine: If you put out another member €25
    • Lights left on: €25
    • Illegal parking: Cost of parking fine plus €25 service charge
    • Valeting: up to €100
    • Incorrect return to base: €50
    • Returning with less than ¼ tank of fuel: €25
    • Lost GoCard: €25
    • Excess: €1500

So if you get caught in traffic and drop the car back at 2.20pm instead of 2pm, you could potentially be facing a charge of €41 (2 x €8 + €25).

You would also want to be careful not to be stuck in one of Galway's regular city-wide traffic jams as the fees are pretty steep...

So if you get caught in traffic and drop the car back at 2.20pm instead of 2pm, you could potentially be facing a charge of €41 (2 x €8 + €25).

Good point. Will need to see a bigger fleet of them in the City Centre before I can see myself using it.

Anyone that's signed up able to see how well booked the car is?

No. That seems to be a weakness of the current system

The website doesnt say but when you go to book there's an option to buy out the excess by paying a slightly higher hourly rate (10.40 i think).

• Advertisement

GoCar signup is free now for European Mobility Week, 15th - 22nd September.
    https://my.gocar.ie/signup.php

GoCar signup is free now for European Mobility Week, 15th - 22nd September.

Ad in yesterdays Galway Advertiser from Galway City Council stating that there will be 11 GoCar bases in Galway City for the Pilot as part of European Mobility Week 16-22 September
    • City Hall Car Park
    • Dyke Road Car Park
    • Greyhound/Sports Ground Car Park
    • Mill Street Car Park
    • Raven Terrace Car Park
    • Cathedral Car Park
    • Salthill Car Park
    • Bowling Green Car Park
    • Roackbarton Road/Leisurland
    • Woodquay Car Park
    • Seamus Quirke Road (back of the Hospital)
    • Ceannt Train Station

Seem to be adopting the same method for Roll Out as the Bike Share by using City Council Car parks. On Street would have greater visibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Sharp

Gocar.ie are offering Free signup

Free Sign Up
    Available 15th - 29th September

To get the €10 Enter Promocode: GOCARMAIL in the promocode section of your account when logged in.

Advertisement