Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The repair or replace conundrum

Options
  • 22-08-2017 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I know this is a tricky one to give a yes/no answer to but wouldn't mind hearing people's thoughts on it...I have a Specialized Sirrus Elite which I got new in January 2014. It does 50 miles a week minimum in and out of work, so has somewhere north of 8000 miles on the clock. In the past 18 months or so I have replaced bottom bracket, headset, chain & cassette (second time), along with brake pads, tyres etc. as normal. The hubs both front and back are now shot, and the rear derailleur is getting very sticky despite cleaning etc.
    I reckon if I get that lot fixed too I'll have spent at least 2/3 of the original bike cost on repairs. The upside is that there will be almost no original moving parts left on it to cost more money.
    I'm eligible for Bike to Work again shortly so I'm in two minds as to whether to repair it or cut my losses and get a new one. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

All sounds like fairly normal wear and tear for a commuter bike and the mileage involved. I'd suggest keeping it going for the commute and get yourself a nice weekend bike for next year. Winter is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I bought a road bike on BTW about 6 years ago. In that time i've changed the following:
    (I do about 12,000k per year on this bike)

Wheels (Wear & Upgrade)
    Shifters (Upgrade)
    Saddle (Upgrade)
    BB x2 (Wear)
    Pedals (Wear)
    Bar tape (Wear)
    Big Chainring (Wear)
    Cassette x3 (wear)
    Mudguards x 3 sets (Wear)
    Tyres/Tubes (Wear)
    Cables (Wear)
    Brake pads (Wear)
    Chain x5 (Wear)
    Rear Derailleur (Wear)

If you want to reduce your Maintenance costs, buy a single speed and fit solid tyres (Tannus)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are you sure it's the derailleur and not the cables ?
    Have you replaced your the outer and inner cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fmcco

ted1 wrote: »
    Are you sure it's the derailleur and not the cables ?
    Have you replaced your the outer and inner cable?
    Yeah, should have said...cable moving fine. Even with the cable disconnected from the derailleur it still sticks.

07Lapierre wrote: »

If you want to reduce your Maintenance costs, buy a single speed...
    Cheers for the advice.
    If I got a fixie I'd have to grow a beard as well though, wouldn't I? Or has the rule changed on that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You could also spend the max BTW on a new frame and swap the components over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

For the sub-1000 euro road bike I think it's always better to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Effects wrote: »
    You could also spend the max BTW on a new frame and swap the components over.

You can't buy a frame on BTW scheme!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Eamonnator wrote: »

Cramcycle has an unwanted prize going for a very good deduction, €1,100, the rec selling price.€1899. Pick your size jobbie with 105 components, its a carbon frame too.? A Scott.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I bought a road bike on BTW about 6 years ago. In that time i've changed the following:
    (I do about 12,000k per year on this bike)

Wheels (Wear & Upgrade)
    Shifters (Upgrade)
    Saddle (Upgrade)
    BB x2 (Wear)
    Pedals (Wear)
    Bar tape (Wear)
    Big Chainring (Wear)
    Cassette x3 (wear)
    Mudguards x 3 sets (Wear)
    Tyres/Tubes (Wear)
    Cables (Wear)
    Brake pads (Wear)
    Chain x5 (Wear)
    Rear Derailleur (Wear)

If you want to reduce your Maintenance costs, buy a single speed and fit solid tyres (Tannus)

Mudguards?? 3 sets???

• Advertisement

Mudguards?? 3 sets???

It's a 6 year old bike. I'm wondering how he managed without for the other three years!

fat bloke wrote: »
    It's a 6 year old bike. I'm wondering how he managed without for the other three years!

I've the same set of SKS Raceblades for what seems like an eternity and there still going strong. What part of a mudguard wears out?

I've the same set of SKS Raceblades for what seems like an eternity and there still going strong. What part of a mudguard wears out?

Between parts going missing and bits getting broken and for-the-commuter-bike-borrowing, and over-zealous-wife spring-cleaning, I've yet to have a set of mudguards survive a summer:rolleyes::D:o

I was only looking on wiggle there for my winter '17 set

fat bloke wrote: »
    Between parts going missing and bits getting broken and for-the-commuter-bike-borrowing, and over-zealous-wife spring-cleaning, I've yet to have a set of mudguards survive a summer:rolleyes::D:o

I was only looking on wiggle there for my winter '17 set

Raceblades + cable ties FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Mudguards?? 3 sets???

Yes...first set broke after a couple of months. I replaced them with the exact same ones. They too broke after a couple of months, so I replaced them, with SKS full mudguards. Much better quality and they've lasted for ages. The stays are a bit rusty and I'm thinking of getting another set..just because they look a bit untidy. If I do, it will be mudguard set no.4!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Ah ****, I didn't know that!

My experience of BTW is that while the shop have to put a specific bike etc. on the quote, once you have the voucher from work you can spend it on whatever you want...

I'm sure a shop will sell you a frame on the BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

fmcco wrote: »
    My experience of BTW is that while the shop have to put a specific bike etc. on the quote, once you have the voucher from work you can spend it on whatever you want...
    ted1 wrote: »
    I'm sure a shop will sell you a frame on the BTW

I've heard of people buying lawnmowers and BBQs on the BTW scheme. Just because it's a bicycle frame doesn't make it any less fraudulent...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just seeing this now - as per above, the rules of the scheme only allow purchase of a bike.

there's no discussion permitted on using the BTW scheme for anything but purchasing a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

I am sure this is in the mega thread but if in doubt here it is in summary from  Govt citizen's information website:
    [font=Arial, "Trebuchet MS", sans-serif, Verdana]Introduction
    The Cycle to Work Scheme is a tax incentive scheme which aims to encourage employees to cycle to and from work. Under the scheme employers can pay for bicycles and bicycle equipment for their employees and the employee pays back through a salary sacrifice arrangement of up to 12 months. The employee is not liable for tax, PRSI or the Universal Social Charge on their repayments.
    Your employer does not have to take part in the scheme. However if they do, they must offer it to all their employees. Self-employed people are not eligible for the scheme (unless they are paying PRSI as an employee in addition to their self-employment).[/font]

[font=Arial, "Trebuchet MS", sans-serif, Verdana]Rules
    What equipment does the scheme apply to?
    The scheme applies to new bicycles and pedelecs (electrically assisted bicycles which require some effort from the cyclist). It does not cover motorbikes, scooters or mopeds.
    Purchase of the following new safety equipment is also covered:
    [/font]
    • Cycle helmets which conform to European standard EN 1078
    • Bells and bulb horns
    • Lights, including dynamo packs
    • Mirrors and mudguards to ensure that the rider’s visibility is not impaired
    • Cycle clips and dress guards
    • Panniers, luggage carriers and straps to allow luggage to be safely carried
    • Locks and chains to ensure cycle can be safely secured
    • Pumps, puncture repair kits, cycle tool kits and tyre sealant to allow for minor repairs
    • Reflective clothing along with white front reflectors and spoke reflectors

just seeing this now - as per above, the rules of the scheme only allow purchase of a bike.

there's no discussion permitted on using the BTW scheme for anything but purchasing a bike.
    There's Rules about red light jumping too.

Advertisement