Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not that familiar with how all the specs add up so could do with some help :)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Upgrade the i3-530 to an i7-860/870 for about €50. Or an i5-750 for €20 would be still a major upgrade.

Replace the GT730 with a GTX1050 for €110.

Add an SSD for the OS, 60GB even, for €35.

All done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Please fill out this form:
    1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Please fill out this form:
    1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

Not looking to build though, was just looking for opinions on the linked PC based on specs vs price

Sorry I thought those were your own PC specs.

That's a pile of garbage for gaming, next to useless - nothing remotely modern would run on it apart from Football Manager. €300 is far too much.

Just buy 2nd hand on Adverts, you'd get a machine 300% more powerful for the same money. Where are you based? I'm sure we can pick a few near you that would offer you good value for money.

Sorry I thought those were your own PC specs.

That's a pile of garbage for gaming, next to useless - nothing remotely modern would run on it apart from Football Manager. €300 is far too much.

Just buy 2nd hand on Adverts, you'd get a machine 300% more powerful for the same money. Where are you based? I'm sure we can pick a few near you that would offer you good value for money.

Based in Limerick, happen to have Amazon vouchers for €300 though so would prefer to buy through there if possible to don't need to spend the cash.

Any suggestions from Amazon for within that price range?

• Advertisement

Used vs new though for the one I picked.

Same price for same RAM and 500GB less HDD

Your pick would have better graphics and processor alright but the i3 should be Ok for my use.

I'd need the 1TB harddrive

I'd prob still side with new one, won't be gaming much at all really.

The i3-530 released in early 2010, i5-4570 in mid-2013; both systems are used.

You're free to use your money how you like, but the i3-530 system is less than half the performance in any task.

The i3-530 released in early 2010, i5-4570 in mid-2013; both systems are used.

You're free to use your money how you like, but the i3-530 system is less than half the performance in any task.

No the one I linked to was new

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072XMNCLV/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3TUKON5ZL54WP&coliid=I3QZDK8JVPC1DZ&th=1

The one you picked has better specs alright, hard to know what to do :)

It's not new - the i3-530 is a lower tier CPU from 2010, it's a 'new' build but the core components are not new in that machine. You can pick up i3-530's on their own for literally €5 second hand.

The i5-4570 would be maybe up to five times faster than the i3-530 in some tasks. KO.Kiki's option would also be about 3 times faster in games.

Personally, I think the first machine you're looking at is a total waste of money. You'd get a 2nd hand desktop on adverts for about €100 with the same performance.

It's not just a case of 'better' specs - the first vs second machines are like comparing night and day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

kfrp wrote: »
    No the one I linked to was new

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072XMNCLV/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3TUKON5ZL54WP&coliid=I3QZDK8JVPC1DZ&th=1

The one you picked has better specs alright, hard to know what to do :)
    If its new, it has been in storage/inventory for 5 years plus. Its been a long time since that chip was in production

Just to add, because it is so old, you don't get USB 3 etc which became standard a few years ago.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    If its new, it has been in storage/inventory for 5 years plus. Its been a long time since that chip was in production

Just to add, because it is so old, you don't get USB 3 etc which became standard a few years ago.

Thanks I understand now.

Would be nice to have a new PC for the €300 or so.

Plan on keeping it for a good while

Get the i5-4570 machine so; I doubt that CPU will be outdated for a good 3 years at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

You could also try trade your amazon voucher for a decent specced pc on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Lu Tze wrote: »

You don't even get sata 3 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You won't get a new computer for 30p with even half decent specs. They don't exist.

Buy something else with your Amazon vouchers, or better yet use them to buy parts to build your own.

Advertisement