Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big phone in pocket!!

Options
  • 22-08-2017 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Got one of those bigger phones recently... love it but it's a pain for cycling as I'm afraid it will fall out of jersey.
    Any solutions I'm missing?
    Recently I've been removing sim and bringing an old phone but that's a pain aswell making sure that phone is charged etc etc.
    Only carry a phone in case of emergency...
    Cheers
    Marty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Finally! A problem that is not solved by buying a new bike! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Throw it into a sandwich bag and into the saddle bag

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Finally! A problem that is not solved by buying a new bike! :)

Or buy a bike with pannier fittings and put it in the pannier

Weepsie wrote: »
    Or buy a bike with pannier fittings and put it in the pannier

Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

After a few mishaps I now keep my phone in an Otterbox Defender. It's survived some serious abuse, including getting dropped in a CX Race when I forgot to leave it in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

How big is the phone? Or how small are your jersey pockets? I get two boxed tubes, pump, toolkit, phone, CO2 canisters, a banana, and a bar or two into mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

fat bloke wrote: »
    How big is the phone? Or how small are your jersey pockets? I get two boxed tubes, pump, toolkit, phone, CO2 canisters, a banana, and a bar or two into mine!

It's big!!.. 6s plus
    I get all that crap into mine too... it's the shape of the phone you see, being slim it doesn't cause the jersey to tighten against it... and I don't fancy wedging it in with other crap!
    It already fell out costing me 200 quid to repair when I was trying to avoid glass. :( (did a stoppy and out it came)

jameshayes wrote: »
    Throw it into a sandwich bag and into the saddle bag

Wouldn't fit...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

I've a 6s plus and put it into my middle rear jersey pocket with no issues no matter which jersey I wear, I use the left / right for bars / gels / spare tube.

jamesd wrote: »
    I've a 6s plus and put it into my middle rear jersey pocket with no issues no matter which jersey I wear, I use the left / right for bars / gels / spare tube.

I must have smaller pockets than you... I did think it was fine too until that incident. Can't afford that happening again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Sorry, ........ but really ......

That is what you want to post in Boards!?
    A question about your big phone ! Come on now...... !

Next there will be someone asking for recommendations for a "good bike" ....
    Ohh , hang on ......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

fat bloke wrote: »

Does that still leave room for a packed lunch and blow up paddle pool...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Get a pair of Endura HumVee shorts and drop the phone into your back map pocket on the leg. If it manages to fall out congratulations on redefining "you're doing it wrong".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Wear a ruck sack ?
    Or put it in a car , and get someone to drive it along behind you ?

:D:D :P

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I put mine into the resealable plastic bag containing all my tools and mini pump and Rennie tablets and sh1t. No way is it falling out in fact I nearly need to dislocate my shoulder joint to get it out at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭G1032

I don't see how this will fall out of the jersey
    Even with jersey pockets I'd consider small I can put the P9 in the middle pocket with no fear of it falling out.
    AFAIK the P9 is a bigger phone than the 6S
    Have you tried going for a spin with it in a middle jersey pocket?

G1032 wrote: »
    I don't see how this will fall out of the jersey
    Even with jersey pockets I'd consider small I can put the P9 in the middle pocket with no fear of it falling out.
    AFAIK the P9 is a bigger phone than the 6S
    Have you tried going for a spin with it in a middle jersey pocket?

Yeah that's where it was when it came out... middle pocket (bear in mind I was practically upside down as I hit the brakes so hard)
    I was thinking there might be some snazzy saddle bag with a phone pouch available and of course where better to ask than boards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭G1032

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Yeah that's where it was when it came out... middle pocket (bear in mind I was practically upside down as I hit the brakes so hard)
    I was thinking there might be some snazzy saddle bag with a phone pouch available and of course where better to ask than boards!!

Wow. I never thought in a million years my phone could fall out of the midde pocket. Might have to rethink too........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Buy a roll of velcro tape, stick one side inside your Jersey pocket, the other to your phone sandwich bag and off you go.
    Then have a chat with yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

G1032 wrote: »
    Wow. I never thought in a million years my phone could fall out of the midde pocket. Might have to rethink too........

More than likely it wasn't put in the pocket properly in the first place I carry my phone in the middle pocket and even going OTB it stayed in the pocket. In all seriousness though first world problems or what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭positron

I probably have a biggest of all the phones - a P8 Max - 6.8" screen. It been fine in the middle jersey pocket over dozens of really long rides over summer - 1500+ km so far. If it's threatening to rain, I would often put it in a small bin liner type plastic bag before putting in the jersey pocked, has been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

My phone goes into a zippy type sandwich bag with my cycling Irl card and a fiver... always in middle pocket and never budged even the time I came off the bike.phone is in an otter box case and front of phone is facing my back in the pocket, well usually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

same as above but I put the phone in a small sock before putting into the plastic bag. gives it a little bit of protection and bulk - never fallen out.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheJak01

I'm using a purpose built waist strap designed for running. Maybe not the most elegant solution, but it'll fit my phone, key and a little cash/ a card. Turn it around so it's on my back and under my jersey and you wouldn't even notice it's there. No way it's falling out of that. It does make accessing your phone a little bit of a nuisance, but to be honest when I'm on a spin I'm there to enjoy it - on the rare occasion I want to take a picture or ring somebody I'm going to be stopped anyway, so taking 20 seconds or so to get access to it isn't the end of the world.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Do you guys "text" whilst cycling???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Have you taught about mounting the phone on the handlebars - using quadlock.

jamesd wrote: »
    Have you taught about mounting the phone on the handlebars - using quadlock.

Nah... I want the damn thing out of sight... I switch it off cycling, only bring it in case if emergency.
    But it did pop out once... it was in properly... it was due to nearly going out over the handlebars avoiding glass. And it cost me 200 quid... I don't want a repeat as I'm out of work right now.
    I'll plough on with the old phone for now

What about sealing your pocket with a good'ol safety pin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I've lost a few bits and pieces from my jersey pockets over the years so don't trust them.

My solution was a 10 euro phone from Tesco with new SIM card. I just text my number to those I will use in an emergency. I don't need it for anything else so nice and small and fits in saddle bag.

There are plenty of jerseys available with rear zip pockets if you must bring the phone but if just for emergency then buy a cheap one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Cargo bike?

Advertisement