Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sous Vide in a pot

Options
  • 22-08-2017 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭

Has anyone tried cooking lamb rump (or maybe fillet) as something different sous vide in a pot (not a water bath). Im going to give it a go. Theres a few instructions online, gotta stick the temp gauge in the pot, regulate the temperature, lockable zip bag, throw the oils and flavours in, keep it around 62 deg for 45 minutes. I think thats doable.
    Assuming the lamb is cooked at this stage, would it keep for a few hours or would you have to fry it off straight away after?

I have a few people coming over dinner, I wanted to try it earlier in the day, if it didnt work out Id have enough time to do something else. Which I wouldnt have if you had to fry it off the second it came out of the bag.

Might give it a dry run the night before

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

I've never tried sous vide.

I love lamb but I'd have thought the best method for cooking fillet would be to roast it. To bring out the flavours.

I wouldn't chance cooking it any other way, mainly because of the price of it though!
    I guess it depends how you want to serve it.
    A friend uses beef fillet for stew so whatever goes I guess.

I'm sure more experienced cooks will be along soon.

Would love to know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

I had a piece of rump lamb in town earlier this year, nicest ever, waiter said it was sous vide and pan finished.

Ive been doing lamb for years in pot, either chops fried/bbq or leg slow cooked.

Seen this https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/cook-sous-vide-tonight-stovetop-method worth a go to see can I get it close I think.

Now, turns out rump of lamb is expensive. FX Buckleys at lunch there, butcher said got to take the whole leg of lamb and cut off the rump but you have to buy the whole leg to get it. Not really what I had in mind but lets see. I'll take pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This dinner is going to be expensive! Fallon might do lamb rump as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

RasTa wrote: »
    This dinner is going to be expensive! Fallon might do lamb rump as well.

its a very special celebration meal. A one off. Im thinking the rump might be a step too far now that Mr buckley explained what it was.

28 euro for a leg that youre getting 4 rumps or max 5 small ones. If not using the rest of the leg its a waste.

I wanted to avoid the whole hacked up roast look on the plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Go to the other end of the leg and serve shanks? Slow cooked, so no pressure. Should be reliable. No hacked-up meat look. Expensive nowadays, but you say that's not the issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've done sous vide at home with a pot of water on low heat and a thermometer. Food was either well wrapped in cling film or vacuum sealed using a sealer from Lidl.

Advertisement