Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pruning Bottlebrush

Options
  • 22-08-2017 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I have a bottlebrush bush that's doing rather well in the garden. It could probably use a trim. I've seen some sites advise just trimming behind where the flowers were, and others recommend cutting the whole thing right back to the ground. Does anyone have any experience?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have experience, does not mean it's to be followed - i did it over two years. the first year i cut half of the branches back, almost to the ground, and the second year i cut the other half back. the plant is still alive, and seems healthy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Any time of year you'd recommend for doing it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i did both prunings during the spring - just because that's usually the time of year for pruning, but that may not be the best for bottlebrush specifically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes, early spring before growth starts. It only needs dead wood removed and overcrowding sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

kylith wrote: »
    I have a bottlebrush bush that's doing rather well in the garden. It could probably use a trim. I've seen some sites advise just trimming behind where the flowers were, and others recommend cutting the whole thing right back to the ground. Does anyone have any experience?

Did your bottle brush flower for long? I only got a week from mine - although this is it's first year in the garden. It has grown so much when i look back at the photos i took when I planted it. I'm from Australia and remember them having a much longer flowering season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Probably about a week or two. It's probably cos we donnt' get enough sun for them to flower properly.

Advertisement