Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media: ‘If in doubt, spin it out it’ sums up government approach to crisis

Options
  • 22-08-2017 2:26pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/columnists/michael-clifford/if-in-doubt-spin-it-out-it-sums-up-approach-to-crisis-457488.html

The argument is that the politicians haven't a foggy notion what is going on- and anytime an academic brings out a report factually looking at the situation- they attack the person- rather than the report..........

If such a technique was used in this forum- where a poster was attacked- rather than the post they made- as a moderator, I would sanction them- up to and including banning them- for repeated infractions of this nature.

Attacking a person- rather than looking at the nature of what they are reporting- is intolerable behaviour, period.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

On a roll for threads conductor ;)

As we all well know successive governments haven't had a clue about how to sort this situation ,
    We blame the government ,the government blames someone else ,the developers blame somebody and the banks blame some else too ,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't think this problem is solvable without screwing over someone. The battle of interests groups has been fought and won already. The winners were older middle-class homeowners (i.e. FG voters, who don't want house prices to go down), developers (who don't want prices to go down), and vulture funds (who don't want rents to go down). The losers were tenants (social and private), would-be homeowners, the homeless, and amateur landlords. What's happening now is the losers are fighting over the scraps.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sad Professor- that's a pretty depressing summation- however, its hard to dispute your rationale.
    The bigger question- is where do we go from here. We're now at an untenable cross-roads- we need to choose what direction we're going in.

Take all the people with rent paid from the state out. If there are only people who pay their own way, is there enough available property?

It is said there is enough in the country entirely.

What I think, if person is unemployed and housed by the state, they don't need to live in Dublin or Cork. Let them live away from the demand. I get that people want to live near "home" or favorite school, but there is a saying "Get it for free, get no choices".

if I earn average salary, I can't afford living in the city, because the demand is too high from people including too many people who don't have to pay,. So, because I earn money but not enough, I have to live where I can afford, and go to the school that is where I have to live, but if I don't earn I get to choose where I live and my school? It makes no sense.

I don't want homeless people, but I think if I am getting free or helped housing it should not be all my choices where I live

Advertisement