Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Pavilion Starts Stops

Options
  • 22-08-2017 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

My sisters HP Pavilion Laptop starts the minute you open the lid but shuts off almost immediately after that.

It was working fine the last time she shut it down.

The power button doesn't seem to do anything once this happens but everytime you close the lid and open it again the power button lights as does the screen but then it just shuts down.

I removed the power supply and battery and held the power button for a minute to dissipate any power that might be in capacitors but it didn't help any.

Anyone come across this issue and have any idea as to what it might be?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Might be worth doing a few (tedious... sorry) hardware checks.

The powering off could be a few things, but the easiest to check (especially with a laptop) is the RAM and the CD/DVD/BluRay drive(s).

So, if you have a small jewellers screwdriver you can open up the bottom and access the various components. Be sure to do this with the battery and charger out!

If there are two sticks of RAM, remove one and try to boot up. If that doesn't work swap it over and do it again. Then switch out the sticks, etc (you can see why I warned you that it was going to be tedious).

Could be the cmos battery too... but sure it's good practise to rule everything else out first.

Same with the disk drive.

I'm not sure of the model number, but here's what it should look like.

pavilion-g6-disassembly-04.jpg

Advertisement