Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming homless !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

I personally think it is broken when someone who wants to live in the county they work is is classed as "too fussy". Also OP has said they looked in Bray. Commuting for 2 hours a day each way is not a good standard of living and not what I class as fussy. Public transport isn't amazing depending on where you live.

Best of luck OP.

Hardly a reason to be called homeless though because you might have to take an hour's commute each way and you don't feel like it.
    The word homeless has been diluted in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

A1404 wrote:
    we are currently renting apartment in Clonskeagh, I work in Stillorgan and my wife work in ballsbridge, we work kinda different times with only one car as she don't drive, we are looking ever in Bray wicklow area but no response from emails we sent, time is going fast and we are really stressed about the situation

Move somewhere that you can get a train or bus and use the car if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Sorry to hear about the situation a1404. Does/would your wife cycle? or would she do the 20/25 minute walk from ranaelagh luas to ballsbridge? if she would, this opens the luas line up for you. depending on your budget you can get a place for €1000 up to what ever you like.

sandyford €1400 per month: http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/sandyford/beacon-south-quarter-sandyford-dublin-1765891/
    on luas lline

rathmines €1000 per month: http://www.daft.ie/dublin/flats-for-rent/rathmines/grove-park-rathmines-dublin-1766158/
    30 min walk/15 min cycle. you drive

ranelagh €1010 per month: http://www.daft.ie/dublin/flats-for-rent/ranelagh/89-ranelagh-road-ranelagh-dublin-1766034/
    same as above. bit quicker

sandyford €1395 per month: http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/sandyford/bracken-hill-blackglen-road-simons-ridge-sandyford-dublin-1763064/
    on luas line.

ranelagh €1350 per month: http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/ranelagh/94-ranelagh-road-ranelagh-dublin-1766096/

anyway, theres a few suggestions. i dont know if they're suitable or not, but it may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I think that the word fussy has the wrong conatations I think a better to put it would be that you have to lower your expectations. Wether or not that us right or wrong is a whole other discussion but fundamentally that is a better way if phrasing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I think that the word fussy has the wrong conatations I think a better to put it would be that you have to lower your expectations. Wether or not that us right or wrong is a whole other discussion but fundamentally that is a better way if phrasing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

But they aren't really homeless. That's a total eexageration. They are just too fussy.
    Plenty of people commute to Dublin.

Absolutely ridiculous calling them fussy. Of course they have a right to live in Dublin or close to where they work. Who wants to spend all there time commuting. The problem is demand and high rents pushing people further away not the OP being fussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Absolutely ridiculous calling them fussy. Of course they have a right to live in Dublin or close to where they work. Who wants to spend all there time commuting. The problem is demand and high rents pushing people further away not the OP being fussy.

Exactly.
    Nobody wants to spend anytime commuting.
    But the less you want to commute the more you pay. It's always been like that.
    And now with the legislation knocking supply out of the market big time, the commutes for the same price point are getting bigger.
    But homeless they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

That's all very nice and all, but it's not going to find them a home. I'd love to live somewhere nicer but price drives me to live where I live. It's only temporary, much like I suspect this is.

However they'd rather be out on their ear, be 'homeless' instead of spending a 40-60 minutes on the Dart. That's fussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

OP if you literally have no other option than sleeping in your car or a hostel I would just refuse to leave the house, you will get a while longer to find somewhere. Not ideal for the landlord but better than the streets.

Check the details of the notice the landlord gave you, he probably did something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Full Marx wrote: »
    OP if you literally have no other option than sleeping in your car or a hostel I would just refuse to leave the house, you will get a while longer to find somewhere. Not ideal for the landlord but better than the streets.

Check the details of the notice the landlord gave you, he probably did something wrong.

In which case you've lost out on a reference and will make things even more difficult for yourselves. Lower your expectations right down and up your price range. If you have to commute for a year, tighten your belts or get another car, so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A right ? Nobody has a "right " to live anywhere they can't afford or there isn't any accomodation.

Do every one of the 5m people in the country have a "right" to live on Dublin if they want to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I'm lost

At what point did the op say they were fussy?

They said in a post that wicklow would suit as well.
    Some of the remarks about being homeless are well off the mark and quite disgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

If the OP gets time I believe he and his wife should also call or visit all their local TDs, of all parties and none and make them aware of their circumstances.

I'm of the view that most TDs probably assume that those who are homeless are those who are either on the dole, single mothers, on drink or drugs, involved in crime or those who want a 'forever home', as they're described on here.

Perhaps if politicians actually saw young, married,productive members of society becoming homeless they might address it with a tad more urgency.
    In contrast to Damian English's performance on SOR this morning.

Good luck OP to you and your wife for the future.

Full Marx wrote: »

And where will the LL live that needs the place back for his own use?

Overstaying is not an option, present as homeless if necessary but you can't stay in another persons property.

Try Gumtree as well as daft and myhome etc. I found my current property in there.

The best of luck to you. I know it seems very dim right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

emo72 wrote: »
    This country is a disaster. This is a national emergency now. On top of the health emergency. I'm telling yas, the only solution is another revolution. That's my mantra now.

From where are you starting the revolution?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

nothing new here - our first house was in leixlip, we had only one car and worked in D7 & D4.

No M50 that time either just old country roads and we commuted for 8 years until we could afford to move, not easy trying to juggle commute, jobs then kids.

We would have loved to live in Dublin 4 or 6 and nearer to work & family but we just couldn't afford it,

Semms to me things haven't changed a whole lot

hopefully OP you will find somewhere nice that you can afford soon & be able to move closer to where you want when more houses are built or prices level out a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Book a flight and get out of this backwater while you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭A1404

Sorry to hear about the situation a1404. Does/would your wife cycle? or would she do the 20/25 minute walk from ranaelagh luas to ballsbridge? if she would, this opens the luas line up for you.

ranelagh €1350 per month: http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/ranelagh/94-ranelagh-road-ranelagh-dublin-1766096/

anyway, theres a few suggestions. i dont know if they're suitable or not, but it may help.

Thanks a lot for your time sharing thos links, to be honnest we emailed most of them, either no answer from them or an answer saying that the viewing is fully booked....

Thanks to everyone for helpful suggestions and comments.

Its very stressful and depressing that with your own money and cannot rent a place to call home. time is flying, I will just keep looking this week hopefully to get somethings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Sorry to hear OP. We are in the middle of a crisis and government are so slow to act. We desperately need emergency legislation and to quash the likes of Teagasc and the County Councils who are inhibiting progress in stock.

Have you thought about digs too, for now at least. Some B & B's might be willing to negotiate short term lets for a discount..might be worth ringing some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

A1404 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for your time sharing thos links, to be honnest we emailed most of them, either no answer from them or an answer saying that the viewing is fully booked....

Thanks to everyone for helpful suggestions and comments.

Its very stressful and depressing that with your own money and cannot rent a place to call home. time is flying, I will just keep looking this week hopefully to get somethings.

Having just let one property last week, I can tell you, be persistent, I was getting so many emails and calls I couldn't actually get time to read them all or respond.

The person who most grabbed my attention emailed about themselves and then just a couple of hours later emailed and asked could they arrange a viewing, no silly questions about expected bills, etc.

After about 3 days I just stopped taking viewings altogether, but if I thought someone would pester me, I replied and offered viewings if they could make it at a certain time.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

A right ? Nobody has a "right " to live anywhere they can't afford or there isn't any accomodation.

Tell that to Paul Murphy, Ruth Coppinger and Co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sorry to hear OP. We are in the middle of a crisis and government are so slow to act. We desperately need emergency legislation and to quash the likes of Teagasc and the County Councils who are inhibiting progress in stock.

Have you thought about digs too, for now at least. Some B & B's might be willing to negotiate short term lets for a discount..might be worth ringing some.

Every move the govt makes , makes it worse!

They stuck on a 4% cap on rent, where the only way you can get to market rate is move in yourself, and then declare it rentable again a few months later for the new rate.

Taa daa, look what's happening to the OP. Oh What a massive surprise...

Can people not see the wood for the trees here? Making life impossible for the service provider (Landlord) has them leaving the market in droves, and is encouraging them to make property deliberately vacant rather than rent it out. When there is nothing left to rent, who are they going to penalise then?

Landlords should be incentivised! Remove the 50% tax, USC and PRSI on rental income, make expenses like capital interest tax deductible again, and encourage developers, and service providers back into the market instead of hunting them out with sticks and crying when they are no longer there.

OP, you are competing with 100 other people. Be the best applicant. You have huge advantages. You have a landlord reference, you have double income, you are articulate and English speaking. Get in there early and state your case clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What has Teagasc got to do with the lack of rental properties.
    I think one of the most obvious short term remedies is to incentivize owners of commercial property/shops to get people living in the upper floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

What has Teagasc got to do with the lack of rental properties.
    I think one of the most obvious short term remedies is to incentivize owners of commercial property/shops to get people living in the upper floors.

I figure they believe Teagasc, who represent farmers (farmers will disagree) are objecting to planning or holding land as agricultural instead of building. Unless you like eating concrete, we need farm land also.

Land costs barely moved due to Nama having to get a high return, labour costs for construction climbed back up fast, county council charges to builder are very high (justifiably I think as too many up sticks and disappeared previously) and the result is it is too expensive to build. Builders are sitting tight until a profit can be made.

Ireland is not alone in this. It is happening in Greece and Spain also if the recent tv documentary is to be believed. They are blaming big business for buying up the rental stock and jamming up the price. The Irish situation did not look all that dissimilar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I was wondering the same, teagasc has nothing to do with housing or renting as far as I am aware, would also agree, we need to encourage LLs to rent by giving some incentives, not taxing them to the hilt, politicians need to step out into the real world now and again as do most senior civil servants, they have completely lost touch with reality, and the more protection given to Tenants, the less long term rental accommodation will come on the market as is seen at present, is it any wonder air b and b seems to be gaining popularity, less headaches all round for LLs. And, I am neither a landlord or tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭utmbuilder

Heres one place monthly for approx 1100 amonth on air bnb in wicklow, just glanced there so maybe dig a bit deeper.

dont be panicing, and talk to threshold tomorrow before you move out.

https://www.airbnb.ie/rooms/19139492?guests=4&adults=2&children=2&location=cavan&check_in=2017-09-01&check_out=2017-09-30&s=-PMbNPv3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

august12 wrote: »
    I was wondering the same, teagasc has nothing to do with housing or renting as far as I am aware, would also agree, we need to encourage LLs to rent by giving some incentives, not taxing them to the hilt, politicians need to step out into the real world now and again as do most senior civil servants, they have completely lost touch with reality, and the more protection given to Tenants, the less long term rental accommodation will come on the market as is seen at present, is it any wonder air b and b seems to be gaining popularity, less headaches all round for LLs. And, I am neither a landlord or tenant.

I'm guessing they meant An Bord Pleanála as it makes no sense to attack Teagasc

heres one in Blanch, might be doable, with the m50?

https://www.gumtree.ie/a-flat-house-for-rent/dublin/house-to-rent/1002072658510911223573109

Please be careful when dealing on Gumtree, the are sadly, many scammers out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

A1404 wrote:

What's your budget. If you have a car, surely you can commute? I drive 55kms each way to work, it's a 45 minute spin. There seems to be loads to rent outside the city

Advertisement