Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming homless !!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

3 people I know in work commute to Dublin. 2 from longford and 1 from near Newcastle in NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

3 people I know in work commute to Dublin. 2 from longford and 1 from near Newcastle in NI.

And Sligo daily by train!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

utmbuilder wrote: »
    Heres one place monthly for approx 1100 amonth on air bnb in wicklow, just glanced there so maybe dig a bit deeper.

dont be panicing, and talk to threshold tomorrow before you move out.

https://www.airbnb.ie/rooms/19139492?guests=4&adults=2&children=2&location=cavan&check_in=2017-09-01&check_out=2017-09-30&s=-PMbNPv3

That's actually €500 pm if you book it for a month. There are more and more like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

What are you saying in your emails? Is there something wrong there. Have you gone to see letting agents so that you are on their books when a place pops up they don't have to advertise.

Get a reference from your current LL, get a bank and work reference. Say that you have then and are a working professional couple in your email. Basically make it as easy as possible from them.

Something along the lines of "Hi I'd like to rent your apartment can you call me please call me" won't get far.

Hi we are working professional couple looking to rent in your are and saw your ad. We have bank, work and current landlord references. We would be very greatfull if we could arrange a viewing. Please contact us on the following number or email addresses.

Give both set of number and email.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dantian

You cna rent a house in Drogheda for 600 a month, in like mallard sq or there abouts, tax saver to commute to dublin is 270 a month, even by 2 people thats still cheaper than renting in the city centre.

Dublin is now like central London, you get better quality of life, and better value for money by living outside it!

At the moment I live in the city centre and it takes me 45 minutes to get to work, Im moving to Dorgheda and will only increase my commute by 25 minutes on the train

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

A1404 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for your time sharing thos links, to be honnest we emailed most of them, either no answer from them or an answer saying that the viewing is fully booked....

Thanks to everyone for helpful suggestions and comments.

Its very stressful and depressing that with your own money and cannot rent a place to call home. time is flying, I will just keep looking this week hopefully to get somethings.

I'd forget about emailing and pick up the phone where applicable, I was renting out a place for my uncle and he got so many calls on the phone he disregarded
    any emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

What are you saying in the e-mails?

Things I'd emphasis are that you're two professionals (in permanent contracts, if applicable), no kids, no pets, non-smokers, excellent references from previous landlords (include copies of these in the e-mail if you have them available), looking for somewhere long-term (most landlords don't want the hassle of chopping and changing tenants. Basically paint yourselves as ideal tenants. Get someone to proof-read the e-mail to ensure it reads professionally and has no typos. Include both phone and e-mail details and emphasise you're very flexible about viewing arrangements (if you are!) and that you'd be in a position to provide deposit immediately should things work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Oh and as for your options in the meantime, a good starting point might be to call into your local social welfare office and ask to speak to the CWO. You certainly wouldn't be anywhere near meeting the criteria for social housing, but you never know what they might be willing to do for you if they have a house available and if you have the means to pay actual decent rent - even if only short-term. It's unlikely but possible, or they may have other suggestions for you. No harm trying - you don't ask, you don't get!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Why don't you look along the irish rail line? plenty of stoops from Maynooth to Mullingar below the 1 hour commute to dublin connolly.Enfield, kilkock, Mullingar is all acceptable distance. You don't HAVE to be homeless.You are making yourself become homeless because you feel you don't want to commute.It baffles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Absolutely ridiculous calling them fussy. Of course they have a right to live in Dublin or close to where they work. Who wants to spend all there time commuting. The problem is demand and high rents pushing people further away not the OP being fussy.

VERY TRUE

I was living in Clondalkin but had to move as far out as Rathdrum to find an affordable place... the commute is 62 miles per day :(

• Advertisement

Absolutely ridiculous calling them fussy. Of course they have a right to live in Dublin or close to where they work. Who wants to spend all there time commuting. The problem is demand and high rents pushing people further away not the OP being fussy.

I hate to bring it back this but you don't have 'RIGHT' to live anywhere, if you choose to work in Dublin because a) thats where is a better selection of work, b) Better wages etc then you make that choice, if thats the choice you make you take the lumps that come with it, and that lump is commuting.

If you want a larger house, cheaper rent, more choice, less competition for space then you commute - it's that simple.

We've been spoiled in Ireland for a long time, thinking of a 20 min commute as 'long' but Dublin is becoming like London in terms of industry and business and so we will have to start making 'London choices' - live in and fight for a bedsit, or move out, get space and commute. Those are the choices you make when you want to work in a big city. Neither is either a right or a wrong choice, it all depends on people's priorities, but you arn't entitled to live in Dublin for the same price as living in Longford, just because you want to - oppertuntities, resources and facilities dictate how much we pay for housing, it ignores every principle of economics to expect these not to apply here.

If we need more houses within 30 mins of O'connell st- where do you suggest we build? Should be build millions of high rise flats, pack them in like bees in a beehive, thats no life either. People need to start accepting the fact that if they want to work in the city centre you are going to have to commute. I worked in London for years, and was living technically within the city limits of London but it still took me an hour to get to work - thats normal in every other big city in the world, I worked in the US where a 1.5-2hr commute was normal - If we want to be a big city culture and the financial benefits of being a business capital, we need to accept big city changes and that includes a commute.

I'm not saying there are no empty houses, but there is generally a reason they are empty - not fit for habitation being the main one, as someone that works in the industry and with those ghosts estates I can tell you that many of the 'new' houses that were put up quick and cheap pre-crash arn't fit for living in regardless of how they look on the outside. fire hazards, damp proof and more dodgy building practices than you can shake a stick at.

I commute an hour and 10 minutes door to door, but I get a massive house outside dublin for less than the flat I was renting in the city centre, and I only spend 20 more minutes travelling than I was before. Thats the choice I made based on my priorities. To the young couple here, it's a hard choice, but a commute isnt the end of the world. Better a 30 minute train ride than sleeping rough. But dont get sucked into the 'I HAVE RIGHTS' arguement - you dont (that sounds harsh) but there are benefits to not living in the city centre that commute nay sayers dont like to acknowledge (cheaper pints in the local being one)

As I mentioned above

Rent for a 2 bed/2.5 bath house in Drogheda, 10 min drive from train line - 660

250 pp for a tax saver ticket on the train from drogheda McBride to Connelly - 500

Renting and travel for the same price as a 1 bed flat - priceless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You're giving your time travelling a value of zero there. I'm not up for doing an 10.5 hour day instead of an 8 hour day for free anyway.

I lived in NYC for a few years. 30 mins commute from my workplace, I lived on the 12th floor, in a studio apartment, with my boyfriend. Bees in a beehive you say, but I had a subway stop at the front door, a massive open park 3 blocks away, didn't need a car. Had everything I needed within a few blocks. City living should be like this, and Dublin is far from it. It's a giant suburb pretending to be a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

Oh and as for your options in the meantime, a good starting point might be to call into your local social welfare office and ask to speak to the CWO. You certainly wouldn't be anywhere near meeting the criteria for social housing, but you never know what they might be willing to do for you if they have a house available and if you have the means to pay actual decent rent - even if only short-term. It's unlikely but possible, or they may have other suggestions for you. No harm trying - you don't ask, you don't get!

I think this would be a complete waste of your time . There are thousands of homeless families and you're suggesting the CWO could house a working couple?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

pwurple wrote: »
    You're giving your time travelling a value of zero there.  I'm not up for doing an 10.5 hour day instead of an 8 hour day for free anyway.

I lived in NYC for a few years. 30 mins commute from my workplace, I lived on the 12th floor, in a studio apartment, with my boyfriend. Bees in a beehive you say, but I had a subway stop at the front door, a massive open park 3 blocks away, didn't need a car. Had everything I needed within a few blocks. City living should be like this, and Dublin is far from it. It's a giant suburb pretending to be a city.
    That's pretty spot on. I have the same experience in Amsterdam.I lived 30 miles from my place of employment but commute with public transport was no more than 40 minutes. The current rental prices are forcing people out of the city. Well, the government can't build houses fast enough.Than build infrastructure instead. In regards to the OP's case - move out of dublin along to the irish rail or Daft route. If you're commuting an hour? well, calculate what you make an hour, take that *10*4.3 and you know how much it costs ya.Than look at the the difference in the rent you're paying and you'll more than likely see you're still running a profit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

If you're commuting an hour? well, calculate what you make an hour, take that *10*4.3 and you know how much it costs ya.Than look at the the difference in the rent you're paying and you'll more than likely see you're still running a profit...

But it didn't cost you this, if you lived close you wouldn't work an hour more. I don't really get this "putting a value on their time" thing I see lately.

If it costs 2k to rent 20 mins from work and 1k to rent 1 hour from work its ridiculous to start putting a made up value on that 40 mins when in real money terms you are saving a lot of money (not the full 1k obviously as you have commute costs).

I agree that people should not see very long commutes as sustainable, like travelling 2 hours each way to work, but some people are saying a 1 hour commute is a lot when in reality is a very acceptable commute which many in a city will have everyday so an hour in from the country is not really a big deal. Also many would much prefer the hours commute and live outside the city in a big house, away from the concrete jungle than be a 5 minute walk to work.

pwurple wrote: »
    You're giving your time travelling a value of zero there. I'm not up for doing an 10.5 hour day instead of an 8 hour day for free anyway.

Quite the opposite, but Im factoring the value add I get from having more space outside the city, but earning Dublin money.

I do agree that Dublin is a small town that boomed faster than the infrastructure, but to imply that no where outside dublin has a coffee shop, a doctor, a supermarket, or whatever else isnt accurate. I wouldn't live in New York again if you paid me! I HATED it, but then horses for courses, and we clearly have very different opinions on what makes a good place to live -and thats fine!

I think people should think about the trade off of space, and value in their calculation rather than 'I must live in the city centre come hell or highwater' and make themselves miserable paying 1500 for a bedsit (because no where here does proper studios at lesat not that I've seen) that you cant swing a cat in when they would be more comfortable and get better value if they looked outside D1-20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Why don't you look along the irish rail line? plenty of stoops from Maynooth to Mullingar below the 1 hour commute to dublin connolly.Enfield, kilkock, Mullingar is all acceptable distance. You don't HAVE to be homeless.You are making yourself become homeless because you feel you don't want to commute.It baffles me.

At no point did the op say that they wouldn't consider other options. Really don't understand why people are jumping to this conclusion.

As for the don't have to be homeless comment. Sometimes people end up in a situation they cannot get out of. The system is an absolute joke atm. Families are getting pushed out of homes they cannot afford because landlords are pushing rents up outside hap limits.

I know this sadly all too well and I have put up a forum request in regards to homelessness. All plus ones are very much appreciated. Information is not completely available so if it even helps one family to not end up in that situation it's worth it.

Sparks43 wrote: »
    At no point did the op say that they wouldn't consider other options. Really don't understand why people are jumping to this conclusion.

As for the don't have to be homeless comment. Sometimes people end up in a situation they cannot get out of. The system is an absolute joke atm. Families are getting pushed out of homes they cannot afford because landlords are pushing rents up outside hap limits.

I know this sadly all too well and I have put up a forum request in regards to homelessness. All plus ones are very much appreciated. Information is not completely available so if it even helps one family to not end up in that situation it's worth it.

So do you think after reading all of the ops posts that they are justified in using the word homeless for their situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Can I ask, why has no one mentioned security of tenure through Part 4? OP can't be given orders to leave the place in one week's time? Surely they are entitled to protection under Part 4? The landlord may want to take possession back for himself, but the OP is still entitled to minimum notice under Part 4? I assume OP got the notice to leave yesterday? Or did OP get notice a while back and only now panicked & posting to Boards?

• Advertisement

So do you think after reading all of the ops posts that they are justified in using the word homeless for their situation?

Yes 100%

If you do not have a home you are homeless. And you can have a roof over your head and still be homeless

Try it sometime it's great fun :(

soc wrote: »
    Can I ask, why has no one mentioned security of tenure through Part 4? OP can't be given orders to leave the place in one week's time? Surely they are entitled to protection under Part 4? The landlord may want to take possession back for himself, but the OP is still entitled to minimum notice under Part 4? I assume OP got the notice to leave yesterday?

I wondered that as well but if the lease was for a year and it's up at the end of the month then I'm not sure notice applies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

soc wrote: »
    Can I ask, why has no one mentioned security of tenure through Part 4? OP can't be given orders to leave the place in one week's time? Surely they are entitled to protection under Part 4? The landlord may want to take possession back for himself, but the OP is still entitled to minimum notice under Part 4? I assume OP got the notice to leave yesterday? Or did OP get notice a while back and only now panicked & posting to Boards?

I got the impression from the OPs original post that notice had been given but that it's only now that panic is beginning to set in?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

bmwguy wrote:
    Don't email. Seriously. Get on the phone and ring.

As a landlord I don't respond to emails

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Yes 100%

If you do not have a home you are homeless. And you can have a roof over your head and still be homeless

Try it sometime it's great fun :(

I don't want to move more than an hour and commute from my place of work. There are lots of places I can afford just 1 hour and 5 minutes away but I don't want one, I want one closer.
    My current lodgings are closing and I have to move. Am I homeless?

Tbh You are not going to get very far with your quest to highlight the plight of the homeless nless you learn what homelessness really means.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Sorry to earlier posts I meant An Taisce, not An Teagasc!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

adam14 wrote: »
    bmwguy wrote:
    Don't email. Seriously. Get on the phone and ring.

As a landlord I do not publish my phone number in the ads otherwise my life would become hell for a week before each viewing with people calling at 1am or 6am in the morning. End of july I published an ad in Daft for a 1bed in central Dublin at 9am in the morning, by midnight I had almost 70 requests for viewing by email with only 5 slots available (cannot possibly arrange an open viewing in these conditions). How could I possibly humanely answer all these requests on the phone? I suspended the ad at midnight and replied to more than half the requests in two days by email; this is were presentation is important: stating just: "I want to view the flat" is not going to cut it (I cut out around a quarter of the requests in this way). Then I selected the viewers based on references provided (people who were willing to provide them pre-viewing, if they were not willing: sorry you keep your privacy I keep my mental sanity).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

adam14 wrote: »

A lot of ads don't feature phone numbers, so email can be your only option. Obviously the LL or agent doesn't want to be jammed with calls.

If an ad does feature a phone number, obviously you ring that.

GGTrek wrote: »
    As a landlord I do not publish my phone number in the ads otherwise my life would become hell for a week before each viewing with people calling at 1am or 6am in the morning. End of july I published an ad in Daft for a 1bed in central Dublin at 9am in the morning, by midnight I had almost 70 requests for viewing by email with only 5 slots available (cannot possibly arrange an open viewing in these conditions). How could I possibly humanely answer all these requests on the phone? I suspended the ad at midnight and replied to more than half the requests in two days by email; this is were presentation is important: stating just: "I want to view the flat" is not going to cut it (I cut out around a quarter of the requests in this way). Then I selected the viewers based on references provided (people who were willing to provide them pre-viewing, if they were not willing: sorry you keep your privacy I keep my mental sanity).

You should really have a second sim in an old phone and that number is the one used on ads of any sort be they property or selling something on donedeal. Only turn on the phone when you feel like answering it and let people leave messages at crazy hours while it's off if they like. Leave it off then when the place is let until it's needed again.

Personally when I was finding people to fill rooms in houseshares I lived in I ignored emails and only felt with people who rang.

• Advertisement

You should really have a second sim in an old phone and that number is the one used on ads of any sort be they property or selling something on donedeal. Only turn on the phone when you feel like answering it and let people leave messages at crazy hours while it's off if they like. Leave it off then when the place is let until it's needed again.

Personally when I was finding people to fill rooms in houseshares I lived in I ignored emails and only felt with people who rang.

I'd be of the email persuasion too. I don't do it anymore but when I did I had only an email in the ad. I asked for basically what was a renters CV in the add. 3 last landlords refs and their numbers. Employment details, how long you've been working there, refs, bank statements, a little bio, etc.

Then I would whittle it down to 7 or 8 who I thought were rhe most impressive and a good fit and invited them all to see the property one evening.

I first deleted any without work details, bank statements, last 3 landlords or who sounded like they would not be a good fit. Any with just asking me questions were deleted, unless they were in the ones I had selected for follow-up in which case I would answer questions at the viewing.

If any were happy with it and I liked them I would then check out references (that's another process with a certain set of questions to start) etc and then order them in order of my preference.

Then I'd call or email them in that order and whoever i called first that was ready to go and still wanted the place I would meet and do the necessaries and hand over the keys.

If I was to do that on the phone I'd be driven mad. But I guess some people get driven mad with emas so we are all different. It's whatever works for you.

Advertisement