Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of Roast Potatoes and Yorkshire Puddings with Roast Beef dish

Options
  • 22-08-2017 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

Is it a nationwide thing across Ireland that if you have a meal out and choose the roast beef that it only comes with mash? - no places serve it without Roast spuds and Yorkshire Puddings no?

Its most probably an english tradition is it to serve it Roast Potatoes and yorkshire puds and garden peas?

I'm intrigued if there are any restaurants in Ireland serving a Roast with Roast potatoes, Yorkshire Puds and garden peas...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Yorkshire puddings are a completely English thing, they didn't exist here when I was a kid. They seem to have established themselves here only recently.

If I'm out for a weekday carvery, then I wouldn't expect roast potatoes. But on a Sunday lunch? hell yes, roast potatoes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Apart from the fact that I hate roast beef and I also hate Yorkshire puds, any time I've been at a carvery or lunch where it is served there are ALWAYS roast spuds and a selection of veg too. Mash is obligatory. Yorkshire puds sometimes, but not always. I have a hulk of an OH who would put Desperate Dan to shame. That's how I know.

You are not going to the right places!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Andy, this is far from your best effort. Have you been pulling your pud?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Yorkshire puddings are mank.

Hey Andy,

There is a fekkin confusing double negative in your post which I feel duty bound to highlight lol.

no places serve it without Roast spuds and Yorkshire Puddings no?

But I'll forgive you just this time, I know what you mean!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

dudara wrote: »
    Yorkshire puddings are a completely English thing, they didn't exist here when I was a kid. They seem to have established themselves here only recently.

If I'm out for a weekday carvery, then I wouldn't expect roast potatoes. But on a Sunday lunch? hell yes, roast potatoes please.

Don't see why not - I would, especially if its a carvery :)

longshanks wrote: »
    Yorkshire puddings are mank.

oooh no, not with lovely thick gravy on it ...

Esel wrote: »
    Andy, this is far from your best effort. Have you been pulling your pud?

attack the post - not the poster :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

The FX Buckleys restaurants in Dublin serve beef with roast and mashed potatoes and humongous yorkshire pud. Only downside is the veg - it used to be carrots/ parsnips / turnips and fine beans, but last few times I was there it had been replaced with some tasteless cabbage.

Believe it or not, best carvery Ive ever had, with quality subsidised by sheer quantity, is Copper Face Jacks. Rake of pints the night before, struggle through a mornings work, Coppers lunch, battle to stay awake for the afternoon. Good times... and if you like lasagne with cabbage gravy and stuffing along with 4 types of potatoes, thats the place for you

Apart from the fact that I hate roast beef and I also hate Yorkshire puds, any time I've been at a carvery or lunch where it is served there are ALWAYS roast spuds and a selection of veg too. Mash is obligatory. Yorkshire puds sometimes, but not always. I have a hulk of an OH who would put Desperate Dan to shame. That's how I know.

You are not going to the right places!

maybe I havent got the expendable choice of places :)

but if anyone knows of establishment in or near Sligo that do proper roast dinners with Roast spuds, Yorkshire puds and peas im all ears ...

• Advertisement

One pub restaurant I know serves roast and 'baby boiled' or chips with everything. If the dish has one of them incorporated in it, you'll get the other two as well. You'll even get spuds with pasta..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Do people eat roast beef other than a carvery? Don't think I've seen it on a normal dinner menu.

RasTa wrote: »
    Do people eat roast beef other than a carvery? Don't think I've seen it on a normal dinner menu.

Most pubs serving food would have a roast of the day Id say

oh wow - look at this!! - I could go for one of these now!

Sunday_roast_-_roast_beef_1.jpg

Needs some thick Gravy drizzled on it though ...

Needs some thick Gravy drizzled on it though ...[/QUOTE]
    Looks like a frozen pudding to me, amateur hour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Roast beef dinner on a Sunday, Irish tradition. Middle of the day, after Mass. Handsome hunk of beef, golden roasted spudders, 2 vegetables.
    Gravy made on the pan juices with stock from the veg. Snooze or watch GAA afterwards.
    But "Yorkshire Puddings"?
    No, that's an English thing. Not a local custom at all. Just an extra slab of starch!
    You might find it at restaurants and so forth but very rarely in an Irish home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Looks like a frozen pudding to me, amateur hour

Yup, yorkshire are ridiculously easy to make too whilst the beef is resting. They always go huge once the oil is pre heated

maybe I havent got the expendable choice of places :)

but if anyone knows of establishment in or near Sligo that do proper roast dinners with Roast spuds, Yorkshire puds and peas im all ears ...

I was in Henrys earlier in the year, was great. Don't know about roast dinners, but they do a Sunday carvery. Give them a ring....

http://www.henrysrestaurant.ie/

love living in ireland in ireland, oh but if only they had a chain of Toby carvery and Beefeater restaurants dotted around the place

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love Yorkshire pudding. We always had them with roast beef growing up. Last time I had roast beef in a restaurant was in Fire on Dawson Street. No Yorkshire puds but they did have stuffing wrapped in pastry so that made up for it.

• Advertisement

I love Yorkshire pudding. We always had them with roast beef growing up. Last time I had roast beef in a restaurant was in Fire on Dawson Street. No Yorkshire puds but they did have stuffing wrapped in pastry so that made up for it.

their website could do with attention - crashing all over the place in chrome browser..

Advertisement