Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affording Graduate Entry Medicine

Options
  • 22-08-2017 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey,
    I'm just about to start final year in a TCD science moderatorship and I'm set on taking the GAMSAT to do GEM. The problem is, I have no idea how I'm going to afford basic living costs for four years of GEM. A loan will cover fees but nothing else and I have no savings.

I still live at home in Dublin with my parents and am working class but just miss out on receiving HEAR and SUSI. Already I find it incredibly difficult to afford the modest quality of life I have. I don't go out often, I don't have any expensive hobbies and I don't have any other recurring costs. I work part time in a restaurant at the minute but I'll probably have to give up during final year.

Is working during GEM feasible? And if so, how many hours per week? If anyone else has experience here, I'd really appreciate advice. I'd love to know how you managed finances through GEM and if there are alternatives to work (like bigger loans) that I don't know about?

I am 100% certain that I want to a career in medicine, I'd do it for minimum wage even. I really enjoy science and research but the human aspects of medicine put it head and shoulders above a career in research! I wish I'd known this when I was doing my LC but here we are, in a situation where I know what I want to do but am pretty pessimistic about the feasibility of pursuing that dream. So any practical advice or pointers at all would be
    greatly appreciated!

Advertisement