Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I eat well, but dislike HUGE portions. What do I do?

Options
  • 22-08-2017 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭

I love food, most people do.

However, when I go out to eat I find the portions can be humungous and it puts me right off. OK I am probably in the minority here, but still.

I have taken to having two starters and it works ok, but everyone gives out to me for being so fussy.

Is anyone else like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

I would suggest not eating the entire portion given to you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I love food, most people do.

However, when I go out to eat I find the portions can be humungous and it puts me right off. OK I am probably in the minority here, but still.

I have taken to having two starters and it works ok, but everyone gives out to me for being so fussy.

Is anyone else like this.

Yep im the same a big portion of food really puts me off

I often ask if anu dishes come as a half portion and order that

Ive a friend who does the two starters too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Same here, I've often done the two starters thing. Or I get the rest to take away, I've asked for that in lots of places and it's never a problem.

As for not eating the whole portion if it's tasty and I'm hungry, I find it hard to stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thanks.

I am getting better at asking for a "doggy bag" but it doesn't seem to apply everywhere. Can be embarrassing leaving half your grub on a plate to go in the bin at the restaurant.

I asked for the remainder to be put in foil last week, and honest to god, you'd think I had just put a contract out on the chef!

But when I explained, they did it. Now in fairness, most of the time I don't eat the residue, (but Desperate Dan might!), but it's easier than leaving it on the plate I think. I always wonder if chef will think it was crap, when in fact it was lovely but just far too much for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Go to places where you are more likely to get smaller portions like French bistro style places or seafood?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Doggy bags. Where are these places serving humongous portions.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Go to places where you are more likely to get smaller portions like French bistro style places or seafood?

My favourite places are Tapas like restaurants, lots of food for everyone, shared, and you pick out the bits that you like, in the portions you like. I'm learning!

But that kind of set up is ok once or twice and then you have the group wanting to go for a big meal out.

I go alright, wouldn't miss the craic, but find it difficult to hide the fact that I cannot eat ALL THAT FOOD like they do! It can be a bit uncomfortable for me. But the two starters is accepted a lot now. Thanks be. I still get some funny looks tho!

Ah look, I'll survive, I just wondered if anyone else felt the same. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think a lot of people nowadays prefer not to roll out of restaurants feeling uncomfortably over full, I know I do. Asking for a second starter as a main isn't all that unusual, neither is deciding not to bother with a starter and most people wouldn't remark on it. You're bound to get the odd comment if you're eating out in a group, but I wouldn't let that bother me. When you're out for a meal you can eat as much or as little as you like.

You'd probably love The Greedy Goose restaurant in Malahide, all their dishes are starter size and you order two or three, depending on how hungry you are. The food is really good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I would suggest not eating the entire portion given to you.
    Seems like the op hasn't cottoned on to this simple solution yet :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Sam Kade wrote: »

The OP stated that they don't like leaving a lot of food on their plate so I'm pretty sure they have "cottoned on".

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote: »

Eh, I can leave behind half of my meal if I want. The problem is the size of the portion when served to me.

Bwoak.

I know I am in a minority, but it is still off putting for me.

Am learning tho, a starter and another starter works.

I love sweet potato fries too. so there.

Anyway, thanks all for the comments, I just wondered if I was alone in this, and although I love grub, I don't like huge portions. Seems that is ok. GREAT!

The OP stated that they don't like leaving a lot of food on their plate so I'm pretty sure they have "cottoned on".

Why would you eat more than you need just because you don't like leaving food on your plate? People should stop caring about what other people think of them.

Eh, I can leave behind half of my meal if I want. The problem is the size of the portion when served to me.

Bwoak.

I know I am in a minority, but it is still off putting for me.

Am learning tho, a starter and another starter works.

I love sweet potato fries too. so there.

Anyway, thanks all for the comments, I just wondered if I was alone in this, and although I love grub, I don't like huge portions. Seems that is ok. GREAT!
    Just tell the waitress next time, problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Nowadays I often get two starters instead of a main, or a starter and a side. Depends on where I am. If I'm going out with friends or my wife who I know will eat what I don't then I'll order a main if I fancy one. It can be kinda off-putting. When I go out to eat I like to have the option of having a dessert and tbh I would be uncomfortably full if I ate a standard main and the dessert.

Another option is for your starter get something shareable and turn it into 'tapas' ... you can have just one portion of it. Works well with wings etc

Then you just have to worry about the size of the main.

Unless there's a big group and so big gaps between courses, or it's a bistro type place with french size portions... I'd rarely get through 3 full size courses on my own.

The starters and desserts in a lot of burger type places would feed 2 as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Now in fairness, most of the time I don't eat the residue, (but Desperate Dan might!), but it's easier than leaving it on the plate I think.

No, it's not easier than leaving it on the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

If you're ever given a large portion that's putting you off. Split it in half and push one hall to on side and just focus on and eat the rest. Might help a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I often go starter and starter. Or else skip starter and get a main. I do like the variety of two starters more though. Or starter and salad maybe. I've never thought twice about it. Adults look at what you're ordering and give out to you for being fussy would seriously annoy me!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Whispered wrote: »
    I often go starter and starter. Or else skip starter and get a main. I do like the variety of two starters more though. Or starter and salad maybe. I've never thought twice about it. Adults look at what you're ordering and give out to you for being fussy would seriously annoy me!

I always skip the starter! I just can't eat that volume of food. I'll often get a starter and a side portion of veg, or two starters together, if I can make the waiting staff understand I want them together :pac:

If I just have a main I'll rarely finish it, but if I'm with my husband he'll usually polish off my leavings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

OP, can you post a sample picture from the web as to what you consider to be a big meal portion? I do love a full plate myself

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

OP, can you post a sample picture from the web as to what you consider to be a big meal portion? I do love a full plate myself

Im not the op but an example I'd give is a few of my locals one of which does a corned beef and cabbage dish

The full portion is usually four huge slices of cornwd beef, four roast potatoes, a slab of mash (close to eight ounces) and a pile of cabbage.

They do a half potion which would be three slices of meat three roast spuds and mash and cabnage which i get without the mash

Even the waiting staff say its rare anyone finishes the full portion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

I'm just the same OP, I hate to feel stuffed after a big main course. I usually go for 2 starters, maybe get a side salad to go with the one I'm having as the main. Although the odd time ive been given a double size starter as the main where they missed the point and thought I wanted a super-sized starter!

I might try asking if they'll do a half portion of a main.

Stheno wrote: »
    Im not the op but an example I'd give is a few of my locals one of which does a corned beef and cabbage dish

The full portion is usually four huge slices of cornwd beef, four roast potatoes, a slab of mash (close to eight ounces) and a pile of cabbage.

They do a half potion which would be three slices of meat three roast spuds and mash and cabnage which i get without the mash

Even the waiting staff say its rare anyone finishes the full portion

Now, I'd consider that to be too much. I'm just trying to get a picture in my head as to what, on average, people consider to be a big portion. I had a friend who thought a fry up of 1 rasher, 1 sausage, 1 egg and a slice of bread was 'excessive'.

Now, I'd consider that to be too much. I'm just trying to get a picture in my head as to what, on average, people consider to be a big portion. I had a friend who thought a fry up of 1 rasher, 1 sausage, 1 egg and a slice of bread was 'excessive'.

Thats ridiculous if i was having a fryup id have three bacon two sausages an egg black pudding beans and toast

It depends...

Did they mean it was excessive to have that early every morning before work? I wouldn't have the time or the appetite before 8am rushing to work for a fry-up.

If I'm just out of bed after a lie in on a weekend then that's a grand portion for a late breakfast, maybe with 1 extra piece of bread or a hash brown.
    One piece of pudding would be a "nice to have".

If I've been out and about and worked up an appetite, now it's lunchtime \ brunch, then egg, 2-3 rashers\sausages, 2xpudding pieces, 2x bread.
    Mushrooms and maybe a hashbrown would be "nice to haves".
    That'd be a big portion I think.
    But I wouldn't get through that at breakfast.

The carvery half portion of "three slices of meat three roast spuds and mash and cabbage which i get without the mash" would be all that I'm looking for also. Doubt I'd finish the plate of the full portion.

Saturday morning, would have had the 1st cup of coffee in us about an hour at that stage. She accepted the suggestion of a fry no bother

Stheno wrote: »
    Thats ridiculous if i was having a fryup id have three bacon two sausages an egg black pudding beans and toast

We could totally derail this thread with your reference to beans in a fry :)

Saturday morning, would have had the 1st cup of coffee in us about an hour at that stage. She accepted the suggestion of a fry no bother

It'd hardly be worth bothering for anything less than "1 rasher, 1 sausage, 1 egg and a slice of bread" ... That's the bare minimum of a fryup... anything less than that wouldn't warrant the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It'd hardly be worth bothering for anything less than "1 rasher, 1 sausage, 1 egg and a slice of bread" ... That's the bare minimum of a fryup... anything less than that wouldn't warrant the name.

That's just about a mini breakfast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That'd be a starter if one was having steak & eggs for breakfast.

Advertisement